5'6 adult on 15hh - too big?

djlynwood

Visit site
Im still looking to buy my first horse as a 37 yr old adult.

I have been recommended by a friend to go and see a 13yr old 15hh looks like a tb x who has done bit of everything.

I weigh no more than 9st and Im 5'6 but Im thinking that I may look too big on him and as I want to do SJ and XC, dont want to weigh him down too much.

Does anyone else who is tall adult ride a 15hh?

crunchie1

Visit site
No offence (as i'm only 5'7 myself!) but I wouldnt class 5'6 as tall - I'd say that's average, and you'll be absolutely fine on a 15hh, especially at only 9 stone ! Infact, you'd be fine on smaller than that too !

Good luck hunting :)

dafthoss

Visit site
I think you will be fine and at 9st it will be able to carry you fine. If you are still worried go and have a look and get some one to take some photos so you can see how you look together

Ruth_Cymru

Visit site
I'm 5'7 and have a 14.3hh arab, plus I'm a bit heavier than you :) The only way you will be able to tell is to go see him and see how you feel. But from the outset, no I don't think you would be too big for him. Let us know how you get on if you do decide to go view him.

Becca-84

Visit site
I'm 5'11 and ride a 15hh chunky cob and a 14.3 Haflinger all the time. I don't feel too big on them, but then I don't compete. I don't think you would be too big at all, but the only way to know is to go and try the horse out and see how you feel. Different builds/types of horse take up your leg differently and if you feel comfortable, then I don't see a problem. I certainly wouldn't say you were too heavy.

Lacuna

Visit site
You'll be fine.

I'm 5'6'', 11st and share a 14.2 pony and his owner is about the same. He manages perfectly well despite being squashed on a nearly daily basis. :)

puppystitch

Visit site
You'll be fine - the photo suggestion is a good one.

I'm 5'8 and regularly ride a 15hh horse. I prefer a little larger but if it's the right horse then size tends to matter less than temperament etc.

cobgirlie

Visit site
LC is 15hh on a good day, I'm 5.7 and not 9 stone ;)... and I've never felt or looked big on him. My other lad is 17hh now (and still growing) and I do feel like a pea on a drum sometimes on him as he's a heavy heavy weight!! I actually prefer now riding the little lad, cos he's more speedy and fun but also because I don't feel quiet so 'little lady' on him!!!;)

chickeninabun

www.wix.com
I'm 5'8" and have a 14.3hh cob, she is abeit a little w-i-d-e, but she suits me perfectly!!
Plus it's not as far to the ground, which is always a good thing, especially as I'm not getting any younger and don't bounce anymore!!:D:D

Kenzo

Visit site
One of mine is 15.1 TB, I'm 5'6 and weight between 9 and 9.5 stone.

I don't look massive on her and weight wise I'm ok, although it was a shock to the system after riding a huge WB, but buy heckers I do enjoy riding her, and although she's got little legs and I look like I'm on a pony she sets the pace an leads the way, she out walks the much larger horses I go out with.

However it is not the height I'd choose to buy, certainly not for competing or hunting with anyway but that's just my personal choice, because I do feel under horsed, like there is nothing in front of me, but I wouldn't change her for the world and it makes me try to keep the extra pounds off too.

Stacey02

Visit site
you will be fine! 9 stone is nothing! and youre not too tall either!
you will be fine :)

I know what you mean i am 5 7 and used to ride a 15.1 cob/arab used to feel long but looking at pics i was fine

Suzie86

Visit site
errr no!??!?!?!

15hh not 13 hh right!?!?! :) Think you're worrying too much you are a little twiglet and weigh next to nothing :)

I am the same height and a little heavier though not much and hopefully not much longer, and have a 13.2 and a 14.2. Both are fine and can manage much taller and heavier.

For your amusement, here is my boyfriend who is i think 6ft2, sat on my 13.2 NF. He ambles round in walk on him very occasionally and pony copes absolutely fine :)

philandb.jpg

djlynwood

Visit site
Thanks everyone.

Suzie86 - your boyfriend does not look 6'2 sat on that pony.

Think I will arrange to go and see this chap. Im thinking like Kenzo, I usually ride a 16.1 and I like the feeling of having something in front, especially jumping. But I have never really ridden anything as small as 15hh.

puppystitch

Visit site
The other thing that I like about the smaller ones is that when they're messing about you can wrap your legs around them and are far less likely to topple off :)

Flir

Visit site
would load a pic of me and my old loan mare - she was just 15.1 and i am 5 8

can anyone tell me how i load a pic please? the pic is in my email files in work dont have access to facebook etc in work? any suggestions?

Kat

Visit site
You'll be fine, I'm 5ft8" and heavier, and I have in the last year or so in the riding school ridden a 14.3hh ISH, a 14.2hh (or maybe a bit less) very light weight coloured cob, a 15.1hh Tbx, and several cobs of around 15hh, all have carried me fine without being "weighed down". My 6ft2" lanky legged DH shows and does dressage on a 15.1hh cob, far from being weighed down they do smashing lateral work together.

To be honest the height isn't the issue about whether you feel underhorsed or not. It is the build of the horse. How deep a girth they have, how well sprung their ribs are and how long their neck is.

I feel better on the 14.3hh ISH who I look a little big on than I do on a slightly larger cob that takes up my leg well because the cobs often have short necks and you can end up feeling like you have nothing in front of you when jumping. Try the horse and see what you think when you have ridden it, you never can tell until you sit on it.

catkin

Visit site
I'm taller than you and my 15 hander and I have done most things with great relish throughout her life (she's now nearly 27).

Only way to tell is to get on and see - if you've got enough horse underneath you you'll be fine. Oh, and little ones are easier and cheaper to keep generally - even if it's just the small stuff like throwing rugs over.....:)

Flir

Visit site
i think i have worked it out - this is the mare i used to loan shes just 15.1 i am just 5 8 think i was ok on her

tewnCIMG8985.jpg

SuperCoblet

Visit site
no way is that too big!
Im 5'9" and i my pony is 13.3! plus where i work the put me on all the little (11hh) riding school ponies that need exercising or been naughty :p

Jericho

Visit site
I'm 5ft 7 a good couple of stone heavier than you and ride a 15.1hh connie x tb (in my avatar). I posted the same when I went to see her and everyone said I looked fine. I feel fine and she carries me more than fine at local dressage / xc and a bit of SJ clinics and for 2hr hacks...

TallyHo123

Visit site
I'm 5'6 and my smallest horse is 15.1hh. Nobody has ever said I look big but I do fine bigger horses easier to ride.
You will be fine though, let us know how you get on :)