5'8 and I'd like a NF Pony - Unrealistic? Other Suggestions?

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
I've had a full up 14.2hh NF for years and he's been brilliant. They are like any other breed, there will be fugly ones and good looking ones. Fabulous all rounders, the ones I've bred and had the pleasure of riding have had lovely temperaments. I'm 5'7 and my weight has fluctuated over the years (due to pregnancy and over-eating!) and he's carried me no trouble.

NFED is used by many NF breeders/owners. Also if there is a particular stallion you like nfstallions.info is a great resource.

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
There are some non- Diva Sec Ds out there!

I had a fab one. Was definitely a character but totally safe. Brilliant to hack and could turn his hoof to anything. Just needed to trust his rider.

I am 5 7 with ridiculously long legs.

southerncomfort

Visit site
I have a 14.3hh welsh cob and luckily for me she is the laid back type who I just adore. :) However, if I were looking for a new ride I would definitely be looking at a Dales. I just think they are fantastic all rounders with really good temperaments. I also have a hankering for a Connie but like the OP think they are very pricey at the moment.

Irish gal

Visit site
The prices of Connies at Clifden, has really picked up this year. Apparently, anything nice was making €5,000 and above, but they would be older so I'm sure you'd get a yearling or two yr old for reasonable money. The well bred ones will be at a premium, but you could just go for a more ordinary pedigree. I reckon the prices for Connies are really taking off, we have performance Connie classes and those performing nicely were going for €20,000 this summer. There's a great trade with Scandinavia for them.

There's a great English stud that might be worth a look. They breed beautifully coloured youngsters from well bred mares crossed with knappstrubbers and Akal Tekes, with the most beautiful metallic coats and spots, they are so beautiful and some will make small horses. It's called Gassons Farm Stud, is on the web and they have a great Facebook page.

Kizzy2004

Visit site
New forests are incredibly versatile ponies. I have two, one I'm just backing and will be full up and my mare whose 13.3hh who I complete riding club level, hunt and next year we are going to compete BE80.

If your on Facebook join the new forest pony people group. It's a really friendly group and people of similar height will happily post picture of them on their ponies. They may be little but they take up the leg well.

The agisters who run the forest ride new forest ponies on the round ups and some of them are 6ft

SO1

Visit site
I have a new forest pony who I have had for 9 years now and he is 14 year old. As a size comparison he is 13.3 and I am 5.2ft. He is a chunky sort and takes up my leg very easily. I look fairly small on him. He takes a 16inch extra wide saddle. I took him to the breed show for the first time this year and most people on ponies of similar size to mine were a lot taller than me.

I would put a photo up on here of him but I don't know how to!

However I would add the 14.2 new forests are quite hard to come by. NF are also now a minority breed.

They are an intelligent breed and tend to be quite food orientated. I am not a good rider and can get nervous but I have managed to do most activities with my new forest even though I am not very skilled. He is a little quirky sometimes but I expect that comes with the intelligence, he is also quite sensitive but he is friendly and nice natured. I would say the one of the biggest challenges I have had is with managing his weight as he has a tendency to get obese very easily, he needs a combination of a lot of exercise with careful management of diet. However as you keep your horses at home you probably have more options in terms of restricting grazing.

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
the newforest sales are coming up a freidn and i were having a nose at the entries.. not all are foals...some crosses and ridden horses
one thing i would say is you dont find cheap 14.2 NF ponies!

PercyMum

Visit site
Thanks All!

I was drooling over some of the NF stallions last night - I think Applewitch Diversity is just stunning!! I think thats what I will aim for. Does anyone know what sort of price the 14.2hh+ youngsters go for? I've looked at the catalogue and there looks like some possibilities in there, although I would be buying next year. Also looking at the Dales but can't seem to find any youngstock for sale that will go 14.2hh or over?

Fraggle2

Visit site
Have a look at some of the green cottage youngsters a few of theirs will make a full up 14.2
They have a Facebook page.

Last edited:

be positive

Visit site
You wont find many NF that will go over height, the breed society is very strict with keeping to breed standards so over height ponies will not get a full passport, it may not matter to you but it will stop them being advertised as potentially going over height as it will keep the price down and limit it to a non showing career in the future , hope that makes sense.

The Dales are less restrictive but the preferred height is under 14.2, it is up to the individual judge whether they put them down the line or not, so again traditional breeders will not be actively promoting any bigger than average youngsters, you will probably need to do some research to see which bloodlines tend to be big and contact the breeders directly asking them to give you the nod if any are likely to be over or at the top end, otherwise it will be down to you taking a punt and hoping whatever you buy grows well.

The Dales here is right at the top, he will probably measure in but it may be tight, I have had a few 14.2 NF ponies, 2 were from the Buckland stud, the Dragonslayer pony was a really good type, deep bodied, super front and easily carried a 5ft 8in rider as a 4 year old so by the time he matured he would have ridden more like a horse but with the pony brain.

PercyMum

Visit site
You wont find many NF that will go over height, the breed society is very strict with keeping to breed standards so over height ponies will not get a full passport, it may not matter to you but it will stop them being advertised as potentially going over height as it will keep the price down and limit it to a non showing career in the future , hope that makes sense.

The Dales are less restrictive but the preferred height is under 14.2, it is up to the individual judge whether they put them down the line or not, so again traditional breeders will not be actively promoting any bigger than average youngsters, you will probably need to do some research to see which bloodlines tend to be big and contact the breeders directly asking them to give you the nod if any are likely to be over or at the top end, otherwise it will be down to you taking a punt and hoping whatever you buy grows well.

The Dales here is right at the top, he will probably measure in but it may be tight, I have had a few 14.2 NF ponies, 2 were from the Buckland stud, the Dragonslayer pony was a really good type, deep bodied, super front and easily carried a 5ft 8in rider as a 4 year old so by the time he matured he would have ridden more like a horse but with the pony brain.

Thanks - useful to know. I thought about doing the research to identify the bigger ponies, then as you say, contacting them about any youngsters they may have that they think might go overheight, making it quite clear that I have no intention to show and just want a big pony!! Hopefully that approach will go in my favour...

rachk89

Visit site
I don't think so really. I would love one but I think we tall people are just too tall for them. We would look stupid unfortunately especially for competing. Try a Connie or Welsh cross.

be positive

Visit site
I don't think so really. I would love one but I think we tall people are just too tall for them. We would look stupid unfortunately especially for competing. Try a Connie or Welsh cross.

Someone of 5ft8in will not "look stupid" on a well put together deep bodied pony, as long as the pony takes up enough leg and the rider is not too long in the body they will look and feel fine, if more people bought something smaller there would be less people struggling to cope with having too much horse to deal with, it is much the same with children who get put onto ponies that are too big too soon, they often find they have problems.
At the end of the day we buy a horse we want to ride, if a few people think they look stupid who cares as long as the pony is happy and the rider is having fun, the OP knows what she wants and has a fair idea of the type that will be suitable, I am sure she has a mind of her own and can ignore this type of comment.

rachk89

Visit site
Someone of 5ft8in will not "look stupid" on a well put together deep bodied pony, as long as the pony takes up enough leg and the rider is not too long in the body they will look and feel fine, if more people bought something smaller there would be less people struggling to cope with having too much horse to deal with, it is much the same with children who get put onto ponies that are too big too soon, they often find they have problems.
At the end of the day we buy a horse we want to ride, if a few people think they look stupid who cares as long as the pony is happy and the rider is having fun, the OP knows what she wants and has a fair idea of the type that will be suitable, I am sure she has a mind of her own and can ignore this type of comment.

She asked for opinions and i gave mine. New forests aren't that bulky really not in comparison to say a Highland. A long legged person will probably find their feet dangle a bit too much below the stomach or long body may look too tall on the pony. Suppose it just depends on how the person is built but i know as being 5'8 too and being mainly leg my legs would be too long.

I doubt that she will struggle with whatever she gets anyway even if it is a bit taller. Don't think a taller horse means she can't ride it.

LiffWee93

Visit site
have a mention on "new forest pony people" on facebook - if you are on there atm, they have loads of great advice, along with tonnes of breeders etc who might point you in the right direction :)
im 5ft2 and ride a chunky 13hh, at no point do i feel big on her! i have a 14.1 hh who i feel tiny on, he rides HUGE! and is ridden by a 5ft8 lady with no issue! both are absolutely brilliant ponies :) the older breed lines/less sporty ones will be a bit chunkier and take your leg up more :) but theres some fantastic ponies around :D

rhylis

Visit site
I have 3 new forests of varying heights and temperaments! All fantastic ponies and I'd recommend the breed highly. One of mine is in the region of 14.1 (haven't measured her so not completely sure) she doesn't look chunky but takes up the leg really well. I'm only 5ft2 but my friend who is considerablely taller has ridden her and definitely didn't look or feel silly.

SO1

Visit site
Unlike the connies there are not many over height new forests around most foresters are in the 13.2 to 14h height range. I rarely see many British bred 14.2's advertised have a look on horsequest for example 28 ponies advertised, 2 are 14.2 1 is 149cm and one is 15.2, three of these have Dutch breeding.

It might worth be seeing if you can find some friendly new forest owners in your area who will let you have a sit on their ponies so you can see how they take up the leg and how you might look on one.

nicelittle

Visit site
We have a new forest X and a Connie, and I'm about 5'10 but luckily long legged with short body.
I ride both and find the 14.1 nf comfortable with a 16" wintec saddle, however he's narrow and I do feel more secure on the 14.2 Connie as she's wider and takes up my leg better.
Maybe you could try riding a new forest of the breeding you are looking for and see how it feels to you?

Natch

Visit site
They're like any breed, there are all sorts and all temperaments. My old D was certifiable but in a good, excitable, life-loving way, not a nasty spooky sharp way. You just had to trust him and let him do his thing and he would look after you to the end of the earth. His dam was exactly the same. His full sister was an RDA pony. There are lovely chilled ones out there and hotter fun types as well as the sharp little gits! They do have strong opinions but if you get them onside, you won't find a better breed. Getting one young and handling him/her properly will almost certainly get you a fantastic pony.

This, this, this!!

I had a challenging, give an inch take a mile up to height welsh D on loan for a few years. Knew his full brother and known a few others since. I love the breed, they are all different but have all been intelligent and adults more than kids ponies for sure. I also totally, 100% agree with the experience that it takes time to get them to trust/bond with you, but my god they will go through heaven and hell for you once you are both on the same side. Whilst also still dragging you off to the nearest grass the moment you take your eye off them and making you look like a right novice! :D

PercyMum

Visit site
This, this, this!!

I had a challenging, give an inch take a mile up to height welsh D on loan for a few years. Knew his full brother and known a few others since. I love the breed, they are all different but have all been intelligent and adults more than kids ponies for sure. I also totally, 100% agree with the experience that it takes time to get them to trust/bond with you, but my god they will go through heaven and hell for you once you are both on the same side. Whilst also still dragging you off to the nearest grass the moment you take your eye off them and making you look like a right novice! :D

Hahaha! This made me laugh - my Highland x did that with me this weekend at a Hunter Trial. Felt like a right idiot!!

Thanks for all the replies. Not to bore you all but the reason I want a pony is quite simply, I have had TB's and TB crosses over the last 10 years and if you read my previous posts, I have a had a rather awful time. My beloved eventer died from a horrific Protein Malabsorption Syndrome, with a bit of ataxia and Wobblers thrown in, I lost my TB mare to Wobblers after only having her for 4 months (caused by an old racing accident that we only found out about after she passed), I had a 18hh ISH who was a headcase and nearly killed me, my warmblood got severe KS and had to be retired and my 'final fling' eventer (I have a degenerative spinal and knee condition) recently had to be put down as his SI joint was in bits - turned out he was doped when I bought him and by the time we realised, the seller was long gone. Interestingly, with the exception of the mare, they were all over 17hh, so I made a vow to NEVER get a big horse again. I ended up with the Highland by chance (she was a rehome) and took her on as I was so fed up of broken 'competition' horses. And please don't make any comments about it being my fault - none of it was and I have spent many hours wailing and sobbing on my (wonderful) vets shoulder asking where I have I gone so wrong.

Anyway, my current TB is fine but high maintenance but my Highland? Well, she is so much fun! Never sick or sorry (touch wood) and easy to look after. Incredibly stubborn but will have a bash at anything without any fuss. All my friends who have ponies or pony crosses have a whale of a time and I just want to have that 'fun' back in my riding life, which I do with my mare. And now I would like a project to start my new fun pony off!

I've been looking about and really like the Buckland stud so I think I will contact them and see if they are amenable to having a chat and advising me. I don't actually know anyone with a 14.2hh NF so I can't try one out but I have joined the NFPP Facebook page so I might be cheeky and ask if someone wouldn't mind me looking at their pony and just sitting on it to see if I look daft!! Although I did measure my mare yesterday and she's is 15.1hh at the wither but has quite a big wither, and her back is quite a lot lower so I wouldn't imagine there is a huge amount of difference between her and a 14.2hh, if that makes sense?

Still thinking about cobs, D's and Dales though. Have ruled out Connies as although beautiful, they are just out of my budget. I could go to Ireland and pick up a cheaper one but its just not feasible if I'm honest. I'm just nervous about getting the wrong Sec D, and the breeding seems so complex compared to NF's. Dales seem to be in short supply. Cobs are still in there, and I have to say, the people who seemed to be having the most fun on Sunday were those riding cobs and NF ponies - they were rocketing around all over the place and having a great time!!

Crackerz

Visit site
I'm on the edge of the New Forest, in Wellow. Hants/Wilts border of the A36.

Maybe some people on here might lend you a quick sit on various height native breeds? You're welcome to a sit on my NF but at 13.2hh he's well under your height range (Although my 5'8'' YO looks OK on him - he takes up the leg well!)

Last edited:

lucky7

Visit site
I am 5ft 9.5 and my welsh D is 14.2hh and hes not the chunk type either. I do alsorts with him and dont think i look to tall on him, plan is to affiliate him next year in BD. He can be spooky and sharp but hes the most gentle boy and really tries his little heart out - had him since he was 7 months old and he is now 6, he was cut late at 4 and even then he was very easy to handle despite being one for the ladies!! He is quite short coupled so takes a 17" saddle which is fine for me :)

jewel

Visit site
really look into what lines breed the bigger ponies, i bought my nf at 6 months to make 14 hh plus. She is only just 13 hh but is very stocky so takes up your legs and would have no problem carrying 12 stone. They are really good ponies to have as allrounder, mine has one hell of a jump on her and is really bold. Only things ive found with the 3 i have had is they have all been nappy ******* lol. New forest pony people on fb is a really good place to look

PercyMum

Visit site
Here is my YO (5'8'') on one of her 14hh Connie's (Best Connie on the planet :D )

Beautiful! And she doesn't look big at all! My hope is renewed- thank you so much!

I do wonder sometimes if we have been a bit brainwashed into thinking we all should be riding 16.2hh+ if we are adults and want to compete. I know I am as guilty as anybody with regard to this. To my shame, I wouldn't have looked twice at my mare if she hadn't been free, and what a chance I would have missed! I get it when it comes to weight and being sensible about what we ask of our steeds but not so much height.

Antw23uk

Visit site
Here is my YO (5'8'') on one of her 14hh Connie's (Best Connie on the planet :D )

Blimey your kidding? She is 5'8 and thats 14hh? Im just gobsmacked and so happily surprised they look amazing together. I've just taken on a 7yr old 14hh dartmoor hill pony as a companion for my 16.2 ISH (because I'm a fool basically!) absolutely nothing wrong with this pony, he has superb potential but just wasnt selling as a ridden pony so I reckon if i got down to a sensible weight I could get on and take him for hacks as I'm 5'7 .... I do think I will look ridiculous but he's a stocky little thing and without a saddle I reckon I could get away with it, lol :)