5'8 or over riding a cob? Any pics please!?!

Teddybully

Visit site
I have always wanted a show cob but worried my legs are going to look too long!

Does anyone have any pics of them on a 15/15.1 cob that can assure me before I view some that I won't look daft!?

Thank you!

Snowysadude

Visit site
Im 5"9 (was taller before injuring back so still have longer legs) and this is on my old cob toby who would just about scrape 15hh!!
Excuse the awful riding - I would list the excuses but cant be bothered!
Hes not a show cob by the way just was an allrounder
dscf0806.jpg

dscf1077.jpg

P.S. I did look slightly large on him :p Have plenty more side and back on pictures if you want to see them :)

FleabittenT

Visit site
I'm 5'9, my old cob mare was 15'1. Looked ok (I think!) but I always felt tall on her.

Current mare is only an inch taller, cob x, but takes up my leg so much better!

At work so no pictures on this computer, sorry. But I would definately go & view in that height range. You certainly won't look daft, more depends how you feel, I would say :)

catdragon

Visit site
I'm 5'9, my old cob mare was 15'1. Looked ok (I think!) but I always felt tall on her.

Current mare is only an inch taller, cob x, but takes up my leg so much better!

At work so no pictures on this computer, sorry. But I would definately go & view in that height range. You certainly won't look daft, more depends how you feel, I would say :)

Whoops :0 Just pm'd you in error, sorry!

splash30

Visit site
You def wont look silly im 5'11'' and rode my 15.1 HW show cob and def did not look out of place or silly - qualified RHIS. I can't attach pics a work computer but you would look fine, I never felt too big.

Sparkles

Visit site
I'm about 5ft9/10

Hairy is 15.1

36842_446908236752_708806752_5618666_2463556_n.jpg

36842_446908811752_708806752_5618679_4213871_n.jpg

D is just under 15.1
26684_404828125867_690990867_4859261_6978427_n.jpg

Not usually that leggy on that one, but was just bareback so makes me look leggier on him!

Emily91

Visit site
It really depends on how the horse is built. They all carry riders slightly differently.
I'm 5'8 and have ridden a few 15/15.1 horses for people. On the show cob I rode I looked a little long. The Tb x I looked perfect on as she took my leg better. even though she was skinnier.
I'm afraid no pics eithr. sorry. But deffo go try some.
Oh and lastly Cobs rule!! I find them so much fun! :D

Kat

Visit site
Don't have any pictures on this computer but my husband has shown a coloured cob (who is hogged and trimmed). The cob is 15.1hh and the husband is 6ft2" with very long legs.

He doesn't look silly on him, he looks a bit tall, but he always gets placed showing and dressage.

He wears a pair of swan neck spurs so that he can let his stirrups down a couple of holes and still make contact (Mark Todd ones).

I'm 5ft8" with a 33inch inside leg and I look completely fine and normal size on the same cob. On a more heavyweight cob I rode recently who is also 15.1hh I looked small.

Cobs take up a lot of leg. DH looks a better size on the 15.1hh cob than he does on many bigger horses because it takes his leg up so well. He looks positively stupid on TBs as his legs swing below their bellies!

Kat

Visit site
You see Binky01 doesn't even look nearly too big on her (very lovely) cob. Her feet are well clear of the bottom of the horse's barrel, she could ride something smaller and still look fine.

Cobs are designed to carry fully grown men, so they are good at carrying weight and good at taking up lots of leg!

PonyIAmNotFood

Visit site
I'm 6ft 1 and this mare is 14.3hh, I realise I look tall on her, however someone of 5ft 9 or 10 would be fine imo

DSC00198.jpg

Oh and excuse the saddle, she got a new one and a massage soon after this pic.

skint1

Visit site
my daughter (5ft 8) on a lovely cobby that belonged to a friend of hers
100_1930.jpg

and on a Connemara X that is about 14.2ish
100_1887.jpg

I'd love to buy the Conny x for her but she already has a money draining injury prone TB that she is in love with and she is above our budget. Lovely little mare with a heck of a jump and a pleasure to be around

irishcob

Visit site
This is me, I'm 5'8" and riding my 15.2 cob Badger:
StourheadShowJul10002-1-1.jpg

And this is my 6'2" husband riding his 15.1 cob Beamish:
tobydressage.jpg

Beamish has such a deep (and broad!) girth, that he takes up Toby's leg really well.

Spit That Out

Visit site
I'm 5'9" and my last horse was 15.2hh and i didn't feel too tall for him but he was built like a tank so his tummy took most of my leg.
I'd just go and have a look at different cobs as they will all look and feel different. If your really worried then take either a digital camera or your mobile with you and get someone to take a pic with you riding him/her and have a look while your there or to take away to analyse!!

Sparkles

Visit site
You see Binky01 doesn't even look nearly too big on her (very lovely) cob. Her feet are well clear of the bottom of the horse's barrel, she could ride something smaller and still look fine.

Cobs are designed to carry fully grown men, so they are good at carrying weight and good at taking up lots of leg!

Thank you :) Myonly problem with the little ones is my upper body...anything 14.2 or less, my upper body tends to look out of proportion and am too tall in that aspect....but then again, I like my nice big 17hh beasties! lol :) x

Kat

Visit site
Thank you :) Myonly problem with the little ones is my upper body...anything 14.2 or less, my upper body tends to look out of proportion and am too tall in that aspect....but then again, I like my nice big 17hh beasties! lol :) x

I know what you mean particularly on cobs with a short neck, there is one I've ridden who I was fine with on the flat but jumping I did feel like I was about to get a face full of ears!

ShowJumperBeckii

Visit site