60 cattle horses about to get washed away!

rockysmum

Visit site
Just as a matter of interest Rockysmum, are you a member of the Gloucestershire Horse Riders group on FB? If not, then you will not know the full story of what has been happening.

Yes

Hope you ain't branding me a troll? I just like voicing my opinion an i have a profile on here already though in the confusion of the past year i have lost my piece of paper with my password.

And Yes

AprilBlossom

Visit site
Argumentative madam then ;) I've congratulated the efforts in uncovering evidence of animal cruelty and the plight of these horses (flooding or no flooding). I will never agree with the way it was handled initially, nor the conduct of certain individuals ranging from those pleading poverty one day then the next offering to 'rehome' one of these horses, to those who would be better off joining rent-a-mob.

Rockysmum, what's really got my goat is the behaviour on a local fb group causing members to be banned then suddenly new members popping up on here with the same posting style and opinions.

{97702}

Visit site
Even though your profile says you live in Leeds? How unusual. So you will be aware of how all this issue blew up a few days ago, and about how people have been acting throughout, I am surprised you find that acceptable.

Moomin1

Visit site
Argumentative madam then ;) I've congratulated the efforts in uncovering evidence of animal cruelty and the plight of these horses (flooding or no flooding). I will never agree with the way it was handled initially, nor the conduct of certain individuals ranging from those pleading poverty one day then the next offering to 'rehome' one of these horses, to those who would be better off joining rent-a-mob.

Rockysmum, what's really got my goat is the behaviour on a local fb group causing members to be banned then suddenly new members popping up on here with the same posting style and opinions.

How have they been acting, I can't seem to find anything?:(

rockysmum

Visit site

Yes I could see how it was being handled. Of course I dont agree with that, but this thread is making HHO as bad. Those poor horses, there is no defending them being allowed to live like that.

Even though your profile says you live in Leeds? How unusual. So you will be aware of how all this issue blew up a few days ago, and about how people have been acting throughout, I am surprised you find that acceptable.

I joined because it was suggested on here that they were organising some sort of help, not to join rent a mob.

Your kidding me right? If i was a troll i would have been ripping you to pieces by now. Seens as though i am not then obviously not a troll.

Feel free

Hairy Old Cob

Visit site
Lets Hope that all the poor live horses have now left this god for saken Shi** hole where they should never have been in the first place see my earlier post it is now time to put away the hand bags and stop bitching and make sure this doesnt happen again.

AprilBlossom

Visit site
RM - yes, I agree, and I have eaten my words regarding my initial opinions about it not being that bad - No one should be able to let animals get into that state (the dead/dying, I must say there are some that looked reasonable, not GOOD, but reasonable from what I've viewed first hand) and if getting awareness of that has been achieved then there has been success.

I'm just loathed to say this as the self important lot who've been helping in the hope of personal gain of some sort will not realise that I am not congratulating them and their efforts, merely fortunate coincidence allowing a proportion of the stricken horses a lifeline at least.

peek-a-boo

Visit site
Thank you, But I would like to say that tarring everyone with the same brush is never a good idea I am old and wiser now and have no need to gain anything. I have my kids my life and content with that, Yes I know some of the younger people get carried away and they have been told! we don't want actions of some to mar the whole thing some people who have stood watch over this do deserve credit for what they have done and continue to do. These horses wouldn't have eaten today if its was left to the owners they only got clean water today. Some of us who have not been jumping up and down in the spot light have only the welfare of the horses in mind. We are hoping for a happy ending and yes some of the animals were very well fed.

TeamChaser

Visit site
Clearly some personal vendetta's going on between here and the GHR site which is a shame because the only thing that should matter is the welfare of these horses

There have been some downright nasty posts on here and I can't believe anyone could try and justify the conditions those horses have been kept in. Whether they look skinny at the moment or not is pretty irrelevant IMHO. Since this area last flooded in November I can't believe conditions can have improved much in the intervening time as it's largely remained somewhere between damp, and monsoon like! If people hadn't intervened - how much longer would they have remained there? How skinny would they have to become before you feel action should be taken? Are the owners only reacting now because their hand has been forced anyway? Really surprised at some of the sentiment on here. Sure it's wet and muddy everywhere at the moment but would you really leave your horses in such conditions? And as for jokes about decomposing bodies of young horses .... really??

I don't know any of the people involved in trying to help, despite being relatively local, no comment to make on personalities involved (which to me is pretty bloody irrelevant anyway!) just glad that something has been done and I hope the authorities will take action against owners. If I can offer any practical help, I'm more than happy to do so

Highlands

Visit site
Team chaser, totally agree!

I do know some of the people and the ones I know are knowledge horse lovers who would help because of the horses not because they want a freebie ( including all its added extras.... It's been warm and wet so sure lice is an issue)

Last edited:

Moomin1

Visit site
Clearly some personal vendetta's going on between here and the GHR site which is a shame because the only thing that should matter is the welfare of these horses

There have been some downright nasty posts on here and I can't believe anyone could try and justify the conditions those horses have been kept in. Whether they look skinny at the moment or not is pretty irrelevant IMHO. Since this area last flooded in November I can't believe conditions can have improved much in the intervening time as it's largely remained somewhere between damp, and monsoon like! If people hadn't intervened - how much longer would they have remained there? How skinny would they have to become before you feel action should be taken? Are the owners only reacting now because their hand has been forced anyway? Really surprised at some of the sentiment on here. Sure it's wet and muddy everywhere at the moment but would you really leave your horses in such conditions? And as for jokes about decomposing bodies of young horses .... really??

I don't know any of the people involved in trying to help, despite being relatively local, no comment to make on personalities involved (which to me is pretty bloody irrelevant anyway!) just glad that something has been done and I hope the authorities will take action against owners. If I can offer any practical help, I'm more than happy to do so

Yet another hysterical answer - JOKES ABOUT DECOMPOSING BODIES?!! Do you think I was joking? That is fact. I wouldn't joke about that sort of thing

Dobiegirl

Visit site
Ive kept up to date with this on fb and been horrified at all the in fighting, now ET from EMW is involved things seem to be moving and she has actually been there and reported back. As Rubysmum said they are appealing for rugs so anyone able to help 5ft 9"" and upwards are needed.

TeamChaser

Visit site
You do realise that dead animals decompose and lose body matter don't you?!! Therefore appearing to be thin?;)

Of course it's a fact that dead animals decompose and lose body matter but I'm pretty sure that the poster that commented was not indicating that a carcass would look any other way? I found your sarcastic comment (complete with winking smilie) unnecessary in this context - just as I now find your resulting to cheap insults unnecessary. Does that make me a hysterical, fluffly bunny hugger Moomince Pie?? Or is it in fact a requirement to share your viewpoint in order to be accepted as relevant on this forum?

joeanne

Visit site
Having seen the pictures......the dead foals are certainly not a figment of anyone's imagination.
However, the mob mentality will never work in a situation like this. Its taken the support of people like Elaine at EMW (who has slaved like a dog today to get anywhere with this!) and others like her, who understand they way these things have to be worked, and ensure it is done so.
If my understanding is correct, tonight they are on hardstanding and have forage.
Tomorrow is another day and I am sure Elaine and the rest of the organisations involved will continue the slog to get the remaining animals somewhere safe.

joeanne

Visit site
Yet another hysterical answer - JOKES ABOUT DECOMPOSING BODIES?!! Do you think I was joking? That is fact. I wouldn't joke about that sort of thing

I have seen the pictures...not one but TWO dead foals, buried in a pit with tarps and a tree to "mark the spot".
The ultimate issue is not that they died, but WHY and HOW they died, and whether or not veterinary care was provided when it was needed.
There is no joke to be had over that....or debate over whether a dead body loses condition......

Moomin1

Visit site
I have seen the pictures...not one but TWO dead foals, buried in a pit with tarps and a tree to "mark the spot".
The ultimate issue is not that they died, but WHY and HOW they died, and whether or not veterinary care was provided when it was needed.
There is no joke to be had over that....or debate over whether a dead body loses condition......

Quite, but who joked about it?!!!!!!!

Also, you really think that from a decomposed animal anybody can tell whether they died from this or that or whether they suffered or not or were treated or not? No, they very rarely can. The only answers that can be gained with respect to that are by someone investigating with the owner.

Does it for instance cross your mind (just an example now) that maybe, those horses were pts humanely, then dumped in the ditch, with a tarpaulin and tree to mark the spot?!! Yes, an issue for environmental health in that case.

That being said, you may of course be right.

Last edited:

noobs31

Visit site
Quite, but who joked about it?!!!!!!!
You did. Give it up, Moomince Pie. Have you not noticed that your fellow overly-vocal and downright nasty naysayers earlier on the thread went eerily silent after the photos were posted? Just you left now. Noone's backing you up any more.

TeamChaser puts it well, I won't say it again. None of us knew for sure in the first place just how bad this situation was, but there was no need for the ganging up and rudeness in the earlier pages.

Some "long-standing" (as they like to call themselves, as though it endows their opinions greater clout) HHO members have really shown themselves up here. Only one that I've seen has been big enough to see the photos and say "I take it back".

Glad to see the authorities are now acting. Yes animals are lost every day, but the attempt to conceal four dead foals makes my blood run cold and I for one want this case and owner properly looked at so the FACTS can be established.

Milkmaid

Visit site
I applaud all those that are helping but fear these poor beasts are just having the agony of life prolonged :-(
The scum that own these animals will never changed

Milkmaid

Visit site
I applaud all those that are helping but fear these poor beasts are just having the agony of life prolonged :-(
The scum that own these animals will never change, shown by their attitude.
And as for the RSPCA......Someone needs to pull the plug on them, they are utterly useless!

EstherYoung

Visit site
ps The fire brigade do charge for non-human rescues. They do have the power to waive the charge in exceptional circumstances but normally, they charge. When my horse got stuck in a ditch they did waive the charge but before their gaffer signed it off they did warn me that their standard rate was around £200 per horse. They're not a charity....

rockysmum

Visit site
OK folks I am calling a truce

Lets forget what happened in the past and help those horses that are still there.

Come on HHO its still Christmas (well sort of)

If EMW are on the spot and helping out then lets see if we can help them out.

Does anyone have a link to a page where we can donate to them.

Do they need anything other than rugs.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site

and why they weren't disposed of properly as I believe that is likely to be an offence in itself. It is interesting to hear that there are other pics as the one posted on here looked more bovine than equine to me, although I am not sure that makes any difference other than as a point of accuracy iyswim.

TeamChaser

Visit site
Only 6 horses left this morning and one would assume they are the last to be moved. It seems owner may have got wind of authorities on way today(finally!) including CEO of RSPCA :rolleyes:

Those that have organised the efforts to help these horses have also I believe found out where they have been moved to and contacted Welsh welfare agencies to notify them of the situation. Gives me some comfort that they've not gone from one awful situiation to another

There seems to be quite a lot of press activity as well - the BBC down there today - so I wouldn't imagine this will just be left to quietly go unnoticed.

luckypeggy

Visit site
It's a shame the press and RSPCA didnt manage to get there yesterday to see all of it, fingers crossed they are still interested in it all. Apparently the land they have been moved to isn't great but at least isn't a flood plain!

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
If EMW are on the spot and helping out then lets see if we can help them out.

Does anyone have a link to a page where we can donate to them.

Do they need anything other than rugs.

At last news from Elaine, they had enough rugs thanks to some super people - but money is ALWAYS needed. There's a link in my signature to the official 'just giving' page.

Milkmaid

Visit site
Another case of too little, too late from the RSPCA.....
This has been going on since November.....
Sickening but at least now these scumbags will be watched, hopefully more closely!
If the RSPCA do get their act together I am sure there is enough evidence for a case to ban him keeping anmals but if he is like all the rest any future beasts will just be `owned` by other family members.