60 cattle horses about to get washed away!

Littlelegs

Visit site
I've only heard of the other site on this thread, & I'm nowhere near glos. However I stand by my comments. Standing around en masse shouting is not my idea of useful help. Yesterday taking hay out, & physically leading horses to dry land was what was needed in the way of help. Not rubbernecking. Likewise future help needs to be directed towards what will happen long term to these horses. Not a mob stood round for a day.

peek-a-boo

Visit site
I've only heard of the other site on this thread, & I'm nowhere near glos. However I stand by my comments. Standing around en masse shouting is not my idea of useful help. Yesterday taking hay out, & physically leading horses to dry land was what was needed in the way of help. Not rubbernecking. Likewise future help needs to be directed towards what will happen long term to these horses. Not a mob stood round for a day.

Why do you bother to come on here if you are so against helping these animals that you have to slate the people who are doing something! You have no Idea of whats gone on and by you ignorant comments you have not even bothered to find out the full facts before mouthing off at others!! May be you would do better reining your neck in and supporting people who obviously care about animals and there plight. Makes my sick some of the comments on here and ashamed that people like you are aloud to own animals!! Go back into the holes you crawled from and let the people trying to help go back to helping! rant over.

Shadow the Reindeer

Visit site

Why do you think petitions work so well? " Because if enough voices are heard, something has to be done" In simple words, they can ignore the tiny pleaful voice and say they can't hear anything, but they can't ignore a foghorn can they?
Saying nothing and doing nothing is not going to help these horses, but if enough people keep complaining to the RSPCA they at some point will have to do something, because otherwise, it makes them look VERY bad in the public eye.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
How strange that posters who have only just joined the forum are wondering why long-standing posters come on here and suggesting that an argument has been brought over from another forum. I wonder who did that then?

Landcruiser

Visit site
Oh boy. I read this thread in increasing disbelief! Seems to me that a sorry situation is hopefully being salvaged by a group of people who care and are going to a lot of trouble to help these stranded criollos. I'm really not sure what the negative comments are all about, and they seem to be detracting from the point.

I have 2 criollo horses myself, and have a fair idea who the owner of these horses probably is. I'd guess the horses are a mixture of imports and homebreds, mostly under 10 years old, and potentially fantastic, intelligent riding horses. They are also very valuable, usually selling in the UK for over £4000 each, so "job lot to the slaughterhouse" isn't a desirable outcome for anyone, least of all the horses.

I'm not close to the area and I don't have my own land to offer, so I can't help physically, but I send you all my support and best wishes.

peek-a-boo

Visit site
There is not many left to move now about 8 I am going out there to help warm and dry these animals! I have been told some have open wounds that need treating and some have lost eyes :( poor things not eating anything but mud in days. Pity so many people are uncaring and think that its not worth the effort and people have wasted there time!!! well nope as the horses are being moved and only started after protestes there made the owners act.

Shadow the Reindeer

Visit site
There is not many left to move now about 8 I am going out there to help warm and dry these animals! I have been told some have open wounds that need treating and some have lost eyes :( poor things not eating anything but mud in days. Pity so many people are uncaring and think that its not worth the effort and people have wasted there time!!! well nope as the horses are being moved and only started after protestes there made the owners act.

So they're in the process of being removed now? That's some good news I suppose.. shame about the injuries, but at least they're getting treated now..

Littlelegs

Visit site
I didn't suggest anywhere people shouldn't help. I asked what had been done for the horses current needs, & the gist of it seemed to be liasing & raising awareness, not simply taking forage &/or removing horses. And afaik the horses are just being moved far away so owner won't be able to provide daily care. So I think those wishing to spend a day helping animals in plight could have spent it more constructively. My comments do not stem from a lack of care, quite the opposite. It's all very well to stand around making a song & dance, but unless you are physically feeding or removing horses, or making arrangements to secure sustainable responsible futures for the animals, then claiming you are saving the horses yourself is somewhat of an exaggeration. But by all means, throw personal insults about if it makes you feel good.

AprilBlossom

Visit site
Good grief.

I will stop commenting now, but I don't for a minute believe they hype you're trying to create about the state of the horses. Not get enough coverage yesterday when they were just in need of some hay?! You do not have my support, you don't need it, nor do the horses need you waffling around with fluffy towels trying to humanise them.

Landcruiser

Visit site
Good news that most of them are out of immediate danger. Well done to everyone that helped them. "Making a song and dance" has obviously done the trick, in that it's forced the owner into action, with the help of a lot of caring people. Good luck with the rest of the operation.

{97702}

Visit site
The owner was already moving the horses before all this kicked off and everyone got so excited about it. It was tedious enough on GHR, I cannot believe it has spilled over onto here as well :eek:

Landcruiser

Visit site
There are a few confusing and contradictory parts to this story, and if the owner was already moving them, I withdraw my comment in my last post. I don't withdraw my support for the people who have been concerned about the welfare of the horses, as judging from the video, the conditions they were in were pretty lousy and potentially life threatening. Whatever the reason the horses were there, at least they are being moved to safety now.

ISHmad

Visit site
There are a few confusing and contradictory parts to this story, and if the owner was already moving them, I withdraw my comment in my last post. I don't withdraw my support for the people who have been concerned about the welfare of the horses, as judging from the video, the conditions they were in were pretty lousy and potentially life threatening. Whatever the reason the horses were there, at least they are being moved to safety now.

^^^Like^^^

Whatever the circumstances it is not the horses fault and I'm relieved that they are being moved to what is hopefully a place of safety.

nikCscott

Visit site
Came on here to get away from the soap opera that FB GHR had become!

I drove passed an hour ago and all seemed to be gone thank goodness

Highlands

Visit site
Positive news... I just hope lessons have been learnt and theses horses don't end up somewhere unsuitable. For people who are all meant to love horses and animals there are some people with odd ideas.... And some who are genuine enough to do good..... If the RSPCA have the goul to ever ring me again then they will be told where to go....

Moomin1

Visit site
Dear me there are some seriously hysterical and fluffy wuffy people posting on this thread. :rolleyes:

I bet the authorities have a whole load of earache and migraines to deal with after listening to them.

Moomin1

Visit site
Positive news... I just hope lessons have been learnt and theses horses don't end up somewhere unsuitable. For people who are all meant to love horses and animals there are some people with odd ideas.... And some who are genuine enough to do good..... If the RSPCA have the goul to ever ring me again then they will be told where to go....

I can imagine some of the authorities involved felt like telling certain Joe Public where to go too...

Hairy Old Cob

Visit site
Lets hope that all the poor horses have Now Been Removed to suitable land unlike where they have been stuck for the last 4-5 weeks, and that the problem has not just moved else where, with the River Severns Reputation I find it incomprehensible that any one would try to keep horses or anything on this land especially in the wettest year on record.

peek-a-boo

Visit site
Right To clear this up now. The people who own the horses will not part with any of them, they know that the situation is bad and looks bad and willing to accept that its far from ideal. They have chosen to move the animals and wont take any help even when its driven to the place and parked in front of them. They are going to doggedly keep moving these animals to a unknown location. there is not any chance that they will part with any of them not even if you pay cash for them they wont they have there backs against the wall and wont budge. All that can happen is keep making sure the animal that remain there at the moment are cared for. I know 6 animals are already dead and some have injury's that should be seen by a vet. when I arrived the rspca was on site but even though animals clearly needing a vet stood in front of he he left! all the animal are on safe ground now and none are at risk of drowning, they have food but no clean drinking water. I do not in any WAY CONDONE WHAT THEY HAVE DONE TO THESE ANIMALS but unless the RSPCA or another org steps in these horses will continue to where ever they are going and we can only hope they will be looked after the other end. To be honest I wouldn't give my horse to a random stranger either. I do not rub any of my animals with fluffy towels and can only comment on what i saw to day. I do feel for the people they are stuck in a rut and nothing they do is going to be right by all but they shouldn't have put these animal in this situation as well. I really do not understand why some of you feel the need to be negative about this people are only trying to make sure these animals a looked after and cared for. some do look like they haven't had a meal in quite a few days. if it was just as easy as throwing hay at them I am sure that would have been done but its not. They only started moving the animals when people started protesting that the horses were in grave danger and have nothing left to eat. The owners have had to swim the horses for a mile down the river to get them to saftey and have been doing that now for 2 days. I have been as honest as I can be and tried to put aside my feeling to tell you what is join on right now!

Moomin1

Visit site
If those horses really needed to be seen by a vet, they would be. Simple as. The relevant authorities would ensure that that was done, either by themselves, or by the owner.

People need to stop listening to hearsay rubbish.

Tern

Visit site
Please may i just say 6 horses were killed today - 5 foals, the owner admitted to saying the foals had Salmonella from drinking dirty water - most probably the cause of there death - the horse would have been from drinking dirty water and eating the mud. If you guys have such a problem with it then simply don't comment.

peek-a-boo

Visit site
If those horses really needed to be seen by a vet, they would be. Simple as. The relevant authorities would ensure that that was done, either by themselves, or by the owner.

People need to stop listening to hearsay rubbish.

Thank you for your expert opinion on the situation. I am sure you are right the authorities are gods and on the case, we bow to your superior knowledge!

{97702}

Visit site
Killed? You mean humanely PTS, or died, or were already dead?

And just to let you know, nobody on this forum has the right to say who should and should not comment on a thread other than the moderator(s)....

Moomin1

Visit site
Please may i just say 6 horses were killed today - 5 foals, the owner admitted to saying the foals had Salmonella from drinking dirty water - most probably the cause of there death - the horse would have been from drinking dirty water and eating the mud. If you guys have such a problem with it then simply don't comment.

How did the owner 'know' they had Salmonella. How were they 'killed'?