7.5 t Lorry Coversions

nic85

Visit site
Hi all,

Just wondering if I could pick your brains on anyone who has successfully converted a 7.5T Box wagon or similar to a horsebox.

We may have the option of buying a friends ex Motorsport service barge ( Its an Iveco sleeper cab with a Box body on, very smart for its age and low mileage) We've been to look at it and it would need the following doing;

Ramp
It has Bulk heads already and these will be moved to make more space in the horse area
The Living door is currently on the wrong side ( ie Drivers side not passengers side) Although I have come up with a cunning plan for that!
There is a living area but only a table and some work benches ( The workbenches will be removed)
Will need to fit a living, so little cooker, hob,sink, fridge and somewhere to put the gas bottle and water supply
Windows
Rubber matting for the floor ( Double thick Marine ply, looks brand new!)
As much as I want a cut through all the guys who know a damn side more about lorries than me say no as they leak,its not as secure etc plus as its a tilt cab it would be noisy too. So what are the pros and cons to not having a cut through?

We measured the inside and it is 7ft 4" high, the entire body of the box is 18 foot, we are only considering it to be a 2 horse box as I only have two horses :) so we are going to make the living area smaller than it is currently and make the horse area bigger so they will have about 4ft in each partition ( Does that make sense?) its either approx.7'8 or 7'11" wide, I honestly cant remember! as they will be travelling herringbone the width should be fine.

SO questions really are,

How much did you actually spend converting it?
Did you do it yourself or a company?
Is there anything you would do differently?

Thanks for looking guys!
:)

OWLIE185

Visit site
The law has changed and now every new conversion by law has to be 'Type Inspected' and comply with various criteria which will make any conversion more expensive.