$9,500,000 for a maiden mare

DaisyMoo

Visit site
Has anyone else seen the Facebook video of the maiden TB mare, that went for 9.5 mil at auction in US. if it was stallion and had proven bloodlines I could see why the price went so high but how will soneone make their money on this investment?

Auslander

Visit site
Has anyone else seen the Facebook video of the maiden TB mare, that went for 9.5 mil at auction in US. if it was stallion and had proven bloodlines I could see why the price went so high but how will soneone make their money on this investment?

Presumably by putting her to a stallion and breeding something outstanding!
It takes two to tango...

be positive

Visit site
She is not just a "maiden mare" she is a champion race mare who may produce more champions, she may produce nothing, and that gamble is obviously worth taking for the new owners, if she has 10 foals, not an unrealistic aim, she can easily pay her purchase price as long as the first ones perform on the track.

Visit site
You are buying the name, the wins and the black type. A horse with black type means a lot in the bloodstock world. Whilst a stallion can produce hundreds of offspring their chances of a good on is greater. A mare can only produce 1 foal a year. You get a good one you make the mares side of the family more desirable the more each foal goes for. You then get the option of not racing the fillies and sending them straight to stud. If you get a good colt then that is worth even more. Because you own it (if you don't sell it) and that will make the money at stud for you and cover your costs (hopefully!)

It's all about the pedigree! The more big, bold, capital letters you have in the pedigree the better the family is.

And what they have bought is Songbird - one of the greatest American mares of recent years who won just short of 4 million herself.

Last edited:

tristar

Visit site
no guarantee that every mare will breed, but maybe she was sold as having a `potentially, `working reproductive system.

maybe in todays world that is not so much money bearing in mind the big picture.

Snowfilly

Visit site
As noted by EKW they haven't brought just a maiden mare, they've brought a supremely talented racing mare and all the value of her pedigree and blood. Hopefully she'll have lots of foals over the next few years and if one of them is a colt, so much the better for the owners.

A wonderful investment if you've got the cash to play with!

MDB

Visit site
I wonder what kind of life she will have. I cannot imagine someone spending that much and allowing her to be out in the pasture with others being a normal horse incase she broke herself.

Visit site
I wonder what kind of life she will have. I cannot imagine someone spending that much and allowing her to be out in the pasture with others being a normal horse incase she broke herself.

She will be insured to the hilt! She will be out with the other mares and foals just like the rest for the benefit of the foals which is where they hope to make their money back.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
no guarantee that every mare will breed, but maybe she was sold as having a `potentially, `working reproductive system.

maybe in todays world that is not so much money bearing in mind the big picture.

I believe it's possible at that level to buy with a guarantee of fertility and a refund if the mare can't breed? I've heard of that in stallions, so I don't see why not in mares.

druid

Visit site
No fertility guarantee, just a breeding soundness certificate. Mare transactions aren't quite the same as buying TB stallions

druid

Visit site
That's for the stallion though - mares tend to be sold with a breeding soundness cert and take your luck