A big ask - can anyone help?

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Some of you will remember my posts about my friend and her family. She has four children, both boys have a diagnosis of high functioning autism. Her youngest daughter has a very rare genetic condition that means she is life limited. In December her husband died of cancer aged 53. Her 17 year old daughter X has recently taken up horse riding and is finding it incredibly therapeutic after all she has been through, and indeed still is going through. More in Steph's blog if you want to read it: http://www.wasthisintheplan.co.uk/

Steph messaged me yesterday asking for advice on boots/hats and where to get second hand. She's a full time carer for Daisy and funds are understandably stretched. I have explained that no compromises should be made when it comes to hats, and I know she will take that on board. My reason for posting was to see whether anyone on here is involved with any hat companies/has sponsorship from one, and can give this family a little help. I know it's a massive ask, but I just thought I would put it out there in case anyone has any ideas.

Thank you. :) xx

LibbyL

Visit site
Not quite what you are asking but thought it would be worth a mention.

With the hat rules changing lots of websites have got really good hats at seriously low prices so maybe she could try them on in a tack shop and order online? Old Dairy Saddlery had Gatehouse ones for about £40 the other day. Assuming she isn't competing that is.

Really hope you find someone though, what a lovely idea :)

cavalo branco

Visit site
I wonder if it's worth contacting hat companies direct, if you get no joy? This young lady has been through so much, surely they might help. Very best wishes to all her family btw.

Orainn

Visit site
I have organised a few things for charity and am always touched by the generosity of companies when they are asked nicely. I would get in touch with a hat company directly, or you might have more luck with any large local retailers. Good luck, I hope she gets a lot out of her new hobby.

wills_91

Visit site
Robinson have/had a wearhouse sale on. However I second approaching companies directly and asking.

teapot

Visit site
Depending on where she's riding, surely they'd be ok with her continutally borrowing one? Just a thought as only a minority of my RDA group has their own hats for example.

In terms of cheaper hats, the Polly ones (look a bit bike like) are super reasonable and actually are fairly good.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
PM me boot sizes if you don't want to share here, I've got some spare jodphur boots I've never worn. Also got some hat silks that I'm too old to carry off (think purple glitter ball) which need a good home.

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Oh wow - the generosity of HHOers never fails to amaze me. Thank you so much to all those who have replied and messaged. Every single one of you are amazing. It looks as though new hat and boots are sorted, but, she is a 4.5/5 for boots so if that works for the boot offers then let me know.

As far as hats go, I was approached by my friend for advice, and I wouldn't want to recommend anything other than I would do for my own children (and myself for that matter). X really needs a new hat, properly fitted by someone who knows what they are doing.

Hats come in all shapes and sizes and what suits one, will not necessarily suit another. And yes, I am sure she could continue to use the RS hats, but I wouldn't put my children in one, so don't want to recommend that to my friend. That has nothing to do with 'communal use', but the fact that I would prefer to know what a hat that is meant to protect my child's head has been through. I hate to think how many times RS hats are dropped in their life.

Sorry, didn't mean to be ranty about hats, but they, and the heads they protect, are important. This thread has reinstated my faith in the wonderful community we have here. Thank you again, so much, it is truly appreciated. xxx

Deltaflyer

Visit site
Oh wow - the generosity of HHOers never fails to amaze me. Thank you so much to all those who have replied and messaged. Every single one of you are amazing. It looks as though new hat and boots are sorted, but, she is a 4.5/5 for boots so if that works for the boot offers then let me know.

As far as hats go, I was approached by my friend for advice, and I wouldn't want to recommend anything other than I would do for my own children (and myself for that matter). X really needs a new hat, properly fitted by someone who knows what they are doing.

Hats come in all shapes and sizes and what suits one, will not necessarily suit another. And yes, I am sure she could continue to use the RS hats, but I wouldn't put my children in one, so don't want to recommend that to my friend. That has nothing to do with 'communal use', but the fact that I would prefer to know what a hat that is meant to protect my child's head has been through. I hate to think how many times RS hats are dropped in their life.

Sorry, didn't mean to be ranty about hats, but they, and the heads they protect, are important. This thread has reinstated my faith in the wonderful community we have here. Thank you again, so much, it is truly appreciated. xxx

I have some size 5 leather boots that aren't wide enough for my chunky calves. They are just sitting gathering dust in the porch. They are the Shires Norfolk boots in XW short. Would they be any good ?