A bit embarrassing, but I need to know........

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
Right, I have never 'purchased' a horse or pony before. Had loans and been given ponies, so this buying lark is new to me.

number one, how much of a deposit is expected? I don't want to miss out if i find something I'm very impressed with, but don't want to leave too much with the seller, so think I should leave a deposit subject to vetting. What sort of receipt should I get for any deposit?
My vet can usually fit a vetting in the same week, if not next day, so how long is normal between a horse passing a vetting, being paid for and coming home?
Also how much should I barter down by? and is it cheeky to ask for them to deliver it too? the trailer is poorly ATM so I'm a bit stuck.

Any advice on buying welcome!!!

PaddyMonty

Visit site
Deposit £50 to £100.
How much you can knock the price down depends on a number of factors such as how desperate they are to sell, how much enthusiasm you showed when trying horse, whether you are prepared to walk away from the horse and how good your bartering skills are.
I generally manage to knock between 20% and 30% off the asking price.
Normally a few days max between vetting and removing.
Could use the delivery bit as a final element in the bartering process.

Bossanova

Visit site
We never put down a deposit and no-ones ever asked us to.
Its up to you how quickly everything moves but if you're anything like me, you'll want it done preferably yesterday!
You could ask sellers if theyd transport her for you but you'll have to pay their fuel and maybe time, unless theyre exceptionally generous.

TiaPony

Visit site
well with the horse i bought we left a 10% deposit, just out of good nature. just a written agreement saying you have put £££ deposit down ensuring the horse is yours and no other prospective buyers will be allowed to use, try out, vet etc. basically, once vetting is through the horse is yours and is not available for others. with regards to moving the horse, the sooner the better! if your asking them to deliver, simply explain your circumstances and ask if their willing to bring over(it also gives them a chance to see horses new home!) most sellers are willing, i got mine brought over but it depends on the distance. if they won't deliver then get the horse to its new home asap, it may pass vetting no problems and then smack itself and you are left in the lurch because as soon as you pay for that horse, you are responsible no matter where he is stabled. oh and bartering, depending on the vetting if any faults were picked up, perhaps lower the price due to them, ask if the seller will allow any leway on the price.
good luck and happy buying
x

Blizzard

Visit site
Im in the process of buying a new horse, this time I didnt pay a deposit and wasnt asked too.

The last one I was going to get, and didnt because he failed the vetting, i put a £300 deposit down, the b*tch wouldnt give me it back even though it was subject to vetting, so i lost £500 in total inc the vetting fee!
I wont pay a deposit again after that.

Sorry to hijack but I wanted to ask something about bringing a new horse home, would you ALWAYS have the horses passport in your possession when you took him?
What if the owner said he would pay for the transfer and send it off for you?

madhector

www.darlingdressage.co.uk
never left a deposit, not been asked to, my last horse was delivered as owner wanted to see her new home, which was great as saved me going and getting her
grin.gif

PaddyMonty

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Sorry to hijack but I wanted to ask something about bringing a new horse home, would you ALWAYS have the horses passport in your possession when you took him?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would always want the passport in my grubby mit before loading horse (or even paying for it). Have seen the disappearing passport problem too often

Rambo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a legal requirement to travel a horse to new premises WITH it's passport.

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
OMG! That's scary! I have always been told to leave a deposit to ensure that no-one else can whip in and buy the horse before you get the vetting done.
I'm thinking on just leaving a 50 quid deposit, mainly because I want to have a proper think about it when I get home, to make sure my heart isnt ruling my head!

Blizzard

Visit site
Yes thats what I thought regarding passport. Afterall that proves the horse is yours.

Having only owned welshes can I ask if a 'normal' passport is just the same, does the old owner need to sign the passport over to the new one?

I always say dont leave more than you are prepared to lose after my ordeal!

ClareMc

Visit site
If you do leave a deposit get a receipt and note any agreement on that ie subject to passing vetting.

Obvioulsy if you get home and think you have made a mistake you won't get deposit back but if fails vetting you should.

Good luck with your search!

skye123

Visit site
we left a £50 deposit and we managed to knock off £300 off the asking price and get the tack in free (they wanted extra for it). dont have a clue how my mum managed to do that but they did need to sell her quick.

her owner offered to bring her to us as we didint have transport and i think she wanted to make sure she had a good home. we had her vetted and then delivered the next day

flower

Visit site
I've never paid a deposit for a horse as I am friends with the dealer I have got them all from but would have thought that 10% would be the norm.

I'd get something in writing that you have paid over the deposit "subject to vetting" - if the horse fails then you get the deposit back, if you simply change your mind, you don't.

Prices can be negotiable - whether you can knock a price down and if so, by how much would be different with each horse/vendor - do you think the horse is worth what it is advertised for? If not, what do you really think it's worth?

I think if you are wanting the seller to deliver the horse to you, then you should offer something to cover the cost of diesel, their time etc.

Bright_Spark

Visit site
I paid a deposit for my horse and we had a written agreement with our details,both sight staing what the deposit was for etc. The owners offered to deliver her to us and we paid the rest then. I think I was given her passport etc when I paid the deposit.

We didnt barter on the price although we got all her rugs included instead (if that makes sense).

burtie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I'm thinking on just leaving a 50 quid deposit, mainly because I want to have a proper think about it when I get home, to make sure my heart isnt ruling my head!

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm I wouldn't do that, don't leave a dpeosit until you are sure you want the horse, with it only being subject to vetting. I be very peed off if someone left me £50 to hold the horse and turn other buyers away and then they phoned to say they had changed their mind. Advertising and time cost sellers money too don't forget!

lizzie_liz

Visit site
We have never left a deposit and never barted the price and not had a problem yet. feel there is too much risk in leaving a deposit!
As for transporting we have taken the horses we have sold to their new homes. One of the buyers didn't have transport and was sold through a friend. The pony we took there as it was on a 2 week trial so we wanted to know where it was going.
As for passports I would want it when i picked up the horse so that i knew i had the passport and didn't have to risk it disappearing
How long you wait between vetting and picking up is up to you, the quicker the better. We had ours vetted and then as soon we knew it passed we got the money from the bank and collected the horse.

siennamum

Visit site
whatever horse you find and however much you love it - there is always another nice one just around the corner. That is especially true if you are buying a first horse. Never buy a horse from one viewing, unless you really know what you are doing. If you like it, go back with an experienced friend. Give yourself time to think of the negatives. (I of course often ignore my own advice
confused.gif
)
Always barter, everyone builds in a bit they will move on and they can only say no.
I have never left a deposit and would be a little horrified if I was asked to, if the horse fails the vetting then you can end up having a dispute with the owner, and I would want my money back, and these days many horses do fail the vetting.

Forget_Me_Not

Visit site
I wouldn't go lower then £600 under theier price. After all the price is how much they think thier horse *which they should know pretty well* is worth. Deposit say £100, or i tend to give check which they dont cash till the vetting. If in cash the money should be payed when hes handed over. I have asked for mind to be dropped off and payed for petol. Maybe a week or two after vetting when ever transport can be done.

Tia

Visit site
Knock them down 20% on purchase price. Offer 15% deposit. It's not cheeky at all to ask for trailering however they will charge for this - I have delivered all of the horses I have sold.

As for receipts - just ask for one; they'll give it to you.

Tia

Visit site
I think what she means is remember to start lower than 20%! Your ultimate aim is to spend no more than 20% less than the asking price. If you start too high then you will end up paying a higher price as the negotiations continue.

So in essence, you are looking to go in there with a first offer of somewhere around 30-40% of the asking price.

izzyxxx

Visit site
i have never left a deposit got the price right down on my appy though she was advertised at £1800 way to high in my opinion but i am stingey(sp) got her eventually for £1200 owner dropped her off because i don't have transport and she wanted to see where she was going we payed over 4 months for her she didn't have a passport so no probs with that we got one done when we had her vetted still keep in touch with the owner and she comes and sees her every now and again realy regreting selling her and always offers to buy her back if i ever want to sell her she is worth her weight in gold!!!would never sell her

GTs

Visit site
I have never paid a deposit - had the horse 1 week for a trial, I pay for gas to have it dropped off at my place. I normally have another week after that to get it vetted, and to pay for it.