A bit of a silly question- hoof boots

holeymoley

Visit site
I think the answer to this is yes however I thought I should ask here as there is always a fountain of knowledge on this forum.

My horse is only shod in front, barefoot behind. He manages very well this way however I occasionally ride on very stoney tracks with large stones. Could he wear hoof boots behind or is this an alien idea to be shod in front and wear boots behind?! He can manage fine with them but si notice his hind hooves do look quite worn if I do this 2 or 3 times between farrier visits. I could shoe behind but I’d rather not, ideally I’d like to take the fronts off too so would rather less metal work than more!

HeyMich

Visit site
Yep, our wee Welshy is totally barefoot but he only struggles with stony tracks his hinds, so I only boot him on his hinds. His fronts are fine unshod on all surfaces. Hoofboots are just another tool for you to use as you see fit.

And yes, contact the Hoof Boutique, Urban Horse or The Saddlery Shop - they have really good fitting guides and advice on what makes/models will suit hoof size and shape.