A break

Laika

Visit site
So I'm not sure if a lot of you know but over the last 2-3 years I've had serious problems with my confidence and riding in general. I have an absolutely cracking pony and I love him so much but I just don't think he's quite the one for me. He deserves a young teenager/older child to go out and do some jumping/XC/Beach rides/PC but unfortunately my confidence can't take him on to do that and therefore it's not fair. I've decided I want a break from owning a horse and will begin to look in 6-12 months for a confidence builder. Sadly Alfie needs a confident rider and that is just not me, it once was, but it isn't anymore. I've really tried, honestly.

To put my reasoning behind this into perspective:

1) Over the last year I've been quite poorly. I've undergone a lot of investigations but this has been inconclusive and I know I need a bit of "Me" time to focus on my health. I'm only 25 years old and I know I shouldn't be as tired as I am.

2) My mum is having quite serious surgery in the new year and I'll need to be there as much as I can to offer support. She will struggle to get up and down stairs for at least 2 months, so I need to be practical.

3) It's truly not fair on Alfie. I'm probably a good year of riding a truly "safe" horse before I could even consider going on the beach etc. I've tried so hard to get over my anxiety but unfortunately, Alfie just can't offer me this support and I need to be so practical on this and admit that unfortunately I've probably bought the second pony that wasn't quite "the one".

I know this post is a bit of "woe is me", but I could do with some good vibes. I've cried a lot over this decision and although I know it's the right thing to do, I truly love this pony and how hard he's tried for me. Additionally, I'm going to save up a good fund for a confidence builder, something that's done a bit of everything and overall is GOOD on the roads (alone and in company). How much do you think is a good budget for this? I'm looking for something around 14.2 and not at all bothered about breed. Although I won't be looking for one when he's sold, I need to keep in mind what a good budget is? I was thinking around 4k mark but am I being far too optimistic?

newboult51

Visit site
I totally sympathise with you about the anxiety and illness (see my post) I bought my horse as a confidence giver having sold my ‘perfect’ horse thanks to illness but it isn’t really working out that way so choose carefully once you’re ready to get another one. I would have said a budget of 4K was totally reasonable for a 14.2. Hope everything works out for you 😀

Rumtytum

Have Marmite, will travel
Visit site
Can’t say anything about budgets sorry, but can say from personal experience you are absolutely right in what you have said. Sending loads of positive vibes for you to find the friend of your dreams who will give you back your confidence, he/she is out there and waiting.....

Dave's Mam

Visit site
Laika, I know you're not THAT close to me geography wise, but I know you love your Exmoors, so if you're ever Nottingham way, you are always VERY welcome to come and ride Dave. I can provide the hairy pony fix.

Laika

Visit site
Just wanted to say a huge thank-you to everyone for being so kind. Sometimes you just need to know you're doing the right thing, which I do... doesn't make it any easier!!! I need some time to truly understand what I want. Have a viewing tomorrow, so let's see how that goes!

Thank-you so much DM for the offer, I do love an Exmoor :D