A brief hello, some recent pics, and recommendations needed!

_MizElz_

Visit site
Many people won't even remember me but I'll say hi to those who do! I've been out of the saddle since July whilst pregnant with my little boy...he's now two months old, and even though I had a C section and was told to wait until 4 months (4 bleedin' months?!?) I got back on my gorgeous girl last week. In spite of her being a general nutter (I've had her nearly 14 years and know her inside out) she was actually very well behaved - if anything, she felt the most supple I've ever known her. Looks like her year off did her the world of good!
Anyway, she has no shoes on at present as I'm trying to sell a few drawings in order to pay for her to be shod again (did nobody tell me how tight money would be once I had a bubba in tow?) but once she's shod, I'll be able to hack out again properly. Our yard has fantastic hacking but you have to cross a big main road to get anywhere, and so I need to get kitted out with some decent hi viz... Hence my need for recommendations! I have a pink Rockfish Riders jacket, but I need to get a decent exercise sheet for Ellie. Firstly would like your thoughts on colour - yellow, orange or pink? Also on brand/type - I've never been a fan of cut out rugs as I prefer to tuck them up under my saddle flap, but it seems most of them are the cut out design these days. Any thoughts on the Equisafety Wraparound rug? Money is tight so don't want to spend too much...and finally what about sizing? My girl is 15.3 ish and light/medium build - rugs are 6/6'3.

Many thanks in advance...here are a couple of pics of my lovely girl, and my first time back in the saddle:

EE8A52A7-0D01-47BA-8E55-F164497C4E6A_zpsp51pepib.jpg

E06D0181-12C2-43B1-A5D3-7824D8A05E11_zpssqxvjnxc.png

9C997421-05EF-4568-9857-4348CC162AFD_zpst69izipj.jpg

Highlands

Visit site
First of all lovey cob, 2nd congratulations on your son.

My friend makes sheets from a cotton mesh , they are brilliant for natives and the summer as they don't get too ht. pink stands out miles as does orange. People see loads of yellow.

AliceCrail

Visit site
Hello, congrats on the baby! I have two not quite babies and finally getting the time to ride properly! (yay!)
Anyway, I have a hi-viz mesh rug that was about £15 and then I bought a waterproof hi-viz second hand for £5, both traditional shape that you fold up. There seem to be a fair bit of second hand hi-viz about,so get searching local fb horse pages and eBay. Good luck x

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Have you considered not shoeing her? Her feet look fairly solid and should be in good nic having had a year off, and if she's sound on the roads without why not give it a go? Will save you some money and might be better for her if some weeks you can ride due to the baby? Just a thought :)

_MizElz_

Visit site
Thanks everyone so far. Definitely think I'd prefer a traditional sheet - best get ebaying!! Saw two riders a couple of fields away from the road the other day and the one wearing orange was much more eye catching than yellow...hmmm.

Stencilface - it would be great but her feet just wouldn't stand up to it. I'm amazed how well they've wintered with it being so wet, but she is prone to splitting when it's drier and she's already a bit 'footy' walking up the track to and from field and school. Plus I'm still fairly heavy...when you add it all up I think unfortunately she does need shoes on! Wouldn't want her to get problems after all these years without.

Having said that, I nearly fell off my chair when I realised the difference in price between shoeing and trimming!

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
You could look at diet as that could affect footiness, but it was just an idea, only cos I'm taking mine down that path. He has front boots on ATM as is a bit footy, but his feet are looking great :)

_MizElz_

Visit site
She's on Happy Hoof anyway but knowing her as I do, riding on the roads barefoot would crucify her. It's quite stony up on the Downs too once we get up there! Think I'd be making a rod for my own back...plus I'd like to do some fun rides and xc this year so she'll need shoes for that. Just gonna have to bite the bullet sadly! Good luck with your lad though! :)

millseysister

Visit site
I have a yellow hi viz waterproof sheet that I don't get on with, it is a touch small for my mare who takes 6'6" - 6'9" rugs, I prefer the cut away design. I got it from equestrian clearance, it's a Luna rider one. pm me if you are interested, it's a bit marked, but I've only used it twice

Last edited:

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
The bf brigade (I'm a new member) would tell you that happy hoof is full of sugar and isn't actually that good for feet, something like pro hoof is better (not that I've got mine on it yet!) I would defo just start with fronts though if you want shoes :)

You're doing so well being back riding already! I'm only getting into the swing 5 months on :)

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
Hello, congratulations on baby! I was lucky, rode up to 32weeks with my first and got back in the saddle 6 days after having him, LOL. He had to get used to being in the pram in the middle of the field whilst I schooled my pony.

Could you try fronts only and see how your mare gets on? Lovely pics too, I always like seeing other people's horses/ponies.

_MizElz_

Visit site
Haha I thought the cob comment was just a slip up - we all do it! She may be hairy but she's not THAT hairy, bless her.

She definitely needs to be shod all round. I've had her a long, long time and, aside from being a farrier's daughter, I know from experience that her feet do not stand up well to road work when bare. It was one of the reasons I stopped riding so soon in my pregnancy; I'd had her back shoes removed but even then she was very footy and felt every stone. So as much as it hurts my pocket, I am going to have to have a full set!

Thanks for comments re. Reflective sheet...I think I'm going to keep looking for a pink/orange one for now. :)

quirky

Visit site
Congrats on your boy Mizelz, he is adorable!
No recommendations for hi-viz sorry but Ellie is looking super after her year off, retirement seems to suit her.
Enjoy both your boy and riding Ellie again :)

_MizElz_

Visit site
Stencil face - yep you got it! It was one of my favourites but sadly he's already outgrown it. Can't believe how quickly he's growing :(

Quirky - thank you! I'm so pleased with her; I've done nothing different other than change her yard - we were never able to turn out at the old place as it was too wet and she couldn't go out alone. Now we're at a place where the YO believes horse happiness is more important than field preservation, and Ellie's out surrounded by boyfriends 6 hours a day. She's a different horse! :)

Debsflo - thank you :) I had a look at Swish but couldn't find any reflective ones...shame as they look very nice rugs and I've not come across them before!

Has anyone got any experience with Gee Tac rugs? They have a nice orange one on ebay...

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
There's too much nice baby stuff, but so expensive, pumpkin patch, Bonnie baby, the white company. I find asda is the best for most stuff!

_MizElz_

Visit site
Ah now that's interesting as I don't find asda stuff washes very well! My favourites are M&Co and Next. Don't like M&S stuff at all - goes like grey dishcloths!! Jasper Conran have some lovely designs too :)

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Oh, I don't know about washing, but I don't mind when we have explosive nappies! With a girl some shops it's hard to avoid baby pink on everything, and asda is quite neural which is why I like it!