A companion for the companion?

chaps89

Visit site
March last year I took on a 12hh gelding as a companion to my mare.
She was pts last month and I moved him to a yard more suitable for him and where he shared a field with another pony mare (other horses all the way around too)
Worked great until the owner of that pony got offered free livery for her mare at the yard next door to her ridden horses so moved her, 2 weeks ago now.
YO doesn't love advertising so has an ad on a small closed group FB page, we've had a couple of enquiries but none suitable.
For the most part, he's been a lot more settled than I expected but he is still calling a bit. Plus I think unless they have to be alone for a specific reason, it's nice for them to have a field companion.
So, what do i do?
I feel like there's 3 or 4 options, none are ideal of course
1) return pony to his owner. I'd be quite sad to see him go, he's a PITA but I like him and I like having a me place to go to to retreat and have some chill time, the yard we're at is very quiet and is such a gorgeous set up for oldies and I enjoy pottering about
2) get another pony to keep him company. Don't really want the cost of a second although livery is so cheap that what I'd pretty much pay for 2 there and a trim and hay for small pony is quite negligible
3) Try and find a pony/small horse either needing retirement livery or even just one that needs to be turned away in a quiet environment for a while. But where?
4) Move him to another yard. He's had a few moves this year and struggled to settle, it would cost more and the whole reason I'm not having another ridden horse is that I'm so fed up of livery yards. So this isn't really an option tbh.

I don't feel I can leave him on his own and whilst the ideal would be finding someone like minded to share the field with I don't know how long I give it before something has to change. But 2 ponies as pets seems excessive!

Visit site
It depends what age of pony you want as well. There are plenty of older retired broodmares bumming around fields that I am sure a stud would loan you indefinitely.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I'm going to go against the grain and suggest he goes back to owner..... but can you get yard fixes from where you ride from? You can take on little A as pet pony project, she adores attention ?
You could enjoy the summer with no strings (apart from felines) and the riding of others.
Maybe look in the autumn for another horse, perhaps from a student off to uni?

MuddyMonster

Visit site
Could he have a ridden companion or do you not want another riding horse just yet? I completely appreciate if not.

Otherwise, I'd try a charity for a non-ridden companion to keep your little 'un company but if your circumstances change, they could go back.

I think if you like the yard as a chance for stress free 'me' time, a second would be worth it.

Flame_

Visit site
Get a little fun hack/ hunter type dude of a horse, stay where you are, it sounds nice, and just ride a bit when you want.

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
I just bought my shetland her own pet shetland and got Blackpony originally for Gingerface to kick so don't ask me ?

Although the sensible head says loan from a charity or take TFF up on her offer of being little A's slave, I mean pony cuddler ?

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I saw an advert just recently from someone in a very similar situation and thought she had come up with a good idea.
She was offering to have someone else’s retired pony with similar requirements to hers to be kept alongside. The owner had to pay the bills direct to the yard etc but she would pretty much provide all care. Essentially someone was getting one on one full retirement livery for the price of cheap DIY

Sir barnaby

Visit site
Barneys companion mare left in April to foster a foal, he has been fine on his own but I have kept my second place as I would prefer another horse with him through the winter (livery is quite cheap) as I like to leave him out as much as possible but the other liveries come in through the winter and if I have two it’s easier to leave them out together. If my mare doesn’t come back I have thought about having a foster horse from RSPCA, so will see how things pan out. He can see all the others but it’s nice if he can have a field mate.