A couple of questions about wood pellets?

Potato!

Visit site
Ok so I've decided to move to the livery yard. So will be moving onto wood pellets, however I've never used them before. I've been told to put them in and wet them so they go all fluffy etc and don't take the wet out only the droppings but what about when it comes to adding fresh pellets. Do you have to wet those too or do you just put those in like they are? And when do you take the wet out?

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Depends on your horse. If he/she is very wet or messy then you need to fluff the pellets up first in a wheelbarrow or large trug. If your horse is tidy and not to wet then put them into the bed dry. I put them in the cleanest dryest part of the stable to give them time to break down before coming into contact with the poo. As they get stuck to the poo when dry and you end up wasting loads (hence why I fluff them up first with messy horses). I take out the wet twice a week for my cleanest horse, but tke a bit of the wettest stuff out every day with the messy ones that wee everywhere.

Last edited:

Thistle

Visit site
I lay the bag on it's back, slit it and add 1/3 bucket water.

When mucking out I gently rake off the dry pelletts leaving a dark wet patch which I then remove. Have used LWP sucessfully for last 10 years or so,

MoodyMare11

Visit site
I had both of mine on them last winter. Because Brig was quite dry with regards to him wee'ing in his stable I used to put his in wet and fluffy but as Rosie was a wet madam and a box walker I'd put hers in dry to absorb the wet. lovely bedding to use though I do miss it

xx