A cushings and EMS double whammy!!

VickyP

Visit site
My lovely 21 year old mare has just been diagnosed with both cushings and ems. I had her tested for cushings about a year and a half ago because she was showing coat changes and fatty above the eyes. They came back negative. Please know that awareness of these problems in Italy is miles behind what it is in the uk so it's been hard work being taken seriously. After a mild laminitis last month we got her through it and the bloods have now come back positive on both counts. Going down the prascend route for the cushings and heiro supplement for the ems. I'll keep a careful eye on weight and diet and all but I'd love to hear about other people's experiences and any advice. I feel very well looked after by my vet who keeps herself updated and informed but like I said not many other people know what I'm on about when I mention these problems!!

rema

Visit site
Hi...I know where you are coming from..I have an Insulin Resistant Laminitic and it is the biggest learning curve ever to manage them.. If you are on Facebook at all check out a group called Equine Metabolic Syndrome (cushings,Laminitic and ppid)..Andrea and Karen are fantastic..

natmac84

Visit site
hi my mare has EMS/insulin resistant.... touch wod she is doing super....she has been put on meterformin from the vets.... my routine for her is breakfast of fast fibre and handdul of chaff with her med's she has suppliments of milk thistle and immune booster which i alternate daily... she has soaked hay which is soaked for a minimum of 4 hours then rinsed... she goes out at lunch time in the week and in at 4.30 - 5pm with a snack-a-ball whith one scoop of high fibre nuts and a large soaked haynet.... she has a small paddock that she grazes all year round....she is ridden and is sound....

honest dont be disheartened its not the end....plenty of exercise should help the ems...

i think my mare may have the start of cushings to - she will be tested this month when they come to check her ems bloods.

goodluck x

VickyP

Visit site
Thanks all, very interesting and helpfull. I'm feeling very much more positive now we know what we're up against and can do something about it, I really don't want to revisit laminitis.

VickyP

Visit site
By the way ACTH is 240. How's that in the general cushings levels? Sorry, it's not like i want to be in the cushings top ten.. But I don't know what the high end of over the norm is..

linperrie

Visit site
Hi, I sympthasize, my girlie was diagnosed with cushings 1.5 weeks ago. It was the lethargy that urged me to get her tested, but really I thought it would come back negative so was gutted. Her acth level was 150. Normal levels are 47 . One on my yard was also diagnosed with a level of 700 and their only symptom was the thick coat! So your isn't the worst by far! My poor girlie had the fat above the eyes and the lethargy. Unfortunately she is recovering from an op and having acupuncture for facial paralysis, so it meant I had to start her on pranscend now to enable her to feel her best to allow the healing to continue. So far she has been on it for a week, half tablets for 5 days and full for last 2 days and she has perked up. She is 19 and has never suffered laminitis but I am cautious now about it. I have changed her onto happy hooves so far mixed in with existing cereals for a few days but will be switching to fibre ready mash soon so everything is low starch, low sugar. She is still eating haylege at the moment but dunno whether to put her hay?? It's a worrying time all round but glad I know what the issue is now so I can deal with it. I'm sure you feel the same? :)

VickyP

Visit site
linperrie I feel exactly the same, the vet said how sorry she was about the results (she's looked after us since I had the horse as a 4yo!) but I said I was pleased to have my suspicions confermed and know what we are up against and what we have to do. My vet also advised the half dose for a week and then onto the full dose. Thanks for your reply!

natmac84

Visit site
hey guys just a bit of an update for you after my mares blood testing
Cushing last year: 45 thias year 60 - starting on Prascend 1/4 a tablet for one week then 1/2 there after - vet said we have caught it very early so always a good sign
EMS/INSULIN level last year 330 - this year 120 - going in the right direction - just gott akeep working at it.

hows everyone else getting on xx