A Devastating Day

sue_nf

Visit site
Am using this forum to offload as I'm alone today.

We offered to keep a very dear friend's 2 horses on five acres of land that we have that is about 500 yards from our house. They were only coming for four weeks and due to leave at Christmas, they are very loved youngsters and were properly checked at least twice a day by me. All fine last night, went to check them this morning and only one there, odd checked obvious escape routes, nothing, we have absolutely no mobile signal anywhere near us as we are in the middle of nowhere. Ran back to house to ring friend, just in case she had decided to take one home. Sheer panic when she said no, I quickly rang neighbours to check their adjoining fields, took our 4 wheel drive and drove to fields with their owner on her way but 30 mins away.

I finally found her, stuck in the river in a desperate state, she was freezing and unable to move but she was alive. I had to do the awful thing of leaving her to race back to farm for help. First 999 then vet, then owner, fire service said I had to stay at farm as they wouldn't find field without guidance. I managed to flag down a neighbour who dashed to the field to help.

The awful end result, she died in the river, her owner was with her and the four fire engines, vet, neighbours did all they could, I am so devastated, I've never had such an awful experience RIP sweet girl and thank you to all those who helped.

Last edited:

sue_nf

Visit site
Thank you everyone, I'm sat here in tears and have poured a glass of wine. The fire service were brilliant, we were truly lucky (not the right word) to have Jim Green attend , he is the top large animal rescuer in the country I believe, he trains the fire brigade throughout the country. Hearing the awful words from one fireman to another "this is now not a rescue but a retrieval", she was still alive then. I'm so very sorry Angie.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Oh no, this is awful :( had she escaped and then fallen in? Sometimes horses can get themselves into all kinds of bother, if you never let them out and wrapped them in cotton wool, they would still do the same sadly.

RIP little mare

Ceriann

Visit site
I am so sorry. I lost my mare due to a field accident this summer - I eventually took a lot of comfort from the fact I found her (I too checked them regularly) and was with her at the end. Be kind to yourself - you can only do so much to keep them safe and accidents happen. RIP little mare.

tiggipop

Visit site
how awful for you.. please take care of yourself.. these horses do get themselves into silly situations.... hugs to you and her owner.. x

el_Snowflakes

Visit site
My god that is awful.

What a shame, hope you have your feet up tonight, must have been an awful shock. Nobody's fault though- you did all the right things. just a really tragic accident.

If your alone, maybe you could give someone a ring for a chat for some reassurance?

sue_nf

Visit site
Thanks El-snowflakes, have spoken to friends who have been lovely, I just can't lose the awful thought that she may have been there all night xx

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
Oh you poor love - what a lousy thing to happen. Im sending a hug and try not to beat yourself up about it - it sounds like you ve done everything you can to help and save the pony and no one can do more than that.

sue_nf

Visit site
Varkie, we know each other, I'm Sue who had your ducks a few years ago, friend of Sarah Weston, thank you all for your kind words, so sad xxxxxx

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
Am so sorry. How heartbreaking, is particularly hard to lose a youngster. Condolences to all involved.

We are very lucky in this neck of the woods to have such a trained and dedicated rescue team headed by Jim.

Kikke

Visit site
what a horrible day this must be for you and of ourse for the poor horse and it's owner, sounds like you did everything you could. hugs

LauraWheeler

Visit site
So very sorry to read this. As others have said you did all you could and it would have been comforting to the mare to be surrounded by those who loved her at the end. It's hard but atleast she didn't die cold and alone in that river.
Massive (((((((hugs)))))))) to you and all who loved her. xx

RIP Little mare. Run free. xx