A different type of fun ride!

ihatework

Visit site
Each to their own I suppose. You wouldn't get me asking my horses to leap off a bank over a car though.
Or cross a drain like that, but then the drain the Irish horses encounter frequently out hunting, and I'm a wimp!

mil1212

Visit site
:eek::eek: poor person who falls to the bottom of the drain, bet that smelt nice! Love that they wait for the horse to jump over on its own!
I guess those are trash cars?! The one horse paddles over the top of it!

Buds_mum

Visit site
sorry that is vile. taking such huge advantage of lovely courageous horses.

It just shows when riderless horses choose not to take on the obstacles.

applecart14

Visit site
sorry that is vile. taking such huge advantage of lovely courageous horses.

QUOTE]

Not for me I'm afraid. I just keep thinking what would have happend if one had put its foot through the windscreen or the roof. Guess the atmosphere would be a bit different then when the poor horse is ripped open by the actions of the metal - bit like a tin opener gliding through a lid. Doesn't bear thinking about.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
We jump ditches like that out hunting all the time. They actually stay very sound - ours is currently 23 years old and still hunting. He would struggle over continuous hedges and with keeping up with a fast pack but ditches are very kind to them, they just jump off their hocks. Rarely get over reaches, tendon injuries etc They are very adept at finding a 5th leg and no needing to see a stride!

The other massive advantage is ponies and cobs can do equally as well as a nicely bred horse. I used to keep up all day long on a 12.2hh pony. It would never have managed big hedges. Cobs ditto - they have strong hocks so ideal for ditches and many of them would be limited over anything bigger than 3'3 upright wise.

starryeyed

Visit site
Not for me I'm afraid. I just keep thinking what would have happend if one had put its foot through the windscreen or the roof. Guess the atmosphere would be a bit different then when the poor horse is ripped open by the actions of the metal - bit like a tin opener gliding through a lid. Doesn't bear thinking about.

My thoughts too.

gadetra

Visit site
We jump ditches like that out hunting all the time. They actually stay very sound - ours is currently 23 years old and still hunting. He would struggle over continuous hedges and with keeping up with a fast pack but ditches are very kind to them, they just jump off their hocks. Rarely get over reaches, tendon injuries etc They are very adept at finding a 5th leg and no needing to see a stride!

The other massive advantage is ponies and cobs can do equally as well as a nicely bred horse. I used to keep up all day long on a 12.2hh pony. It would never have managed big hedges. Cobs ditto - they have strong hocks so ideal for ditches and many of them would be limited over anything bigger than 3'3 upright wise.

^^^^ What LEC said. They're not being hammered on hard ground or doing endless small circles in an arena which is harder on a young horse's bones and ligaments etc. IMHO.
But to each their own.

paddi22

Visit site
/\/\
i thought a lot of the horses jumped very comfortably and the majority of the riders rode really well with excellent balance, very few horses getting socked in the jaw. I wouldn't personally jump a car as i think it would be horrific if went wrong (glass, metal cuts, foot through a rusty roof...eeek!). That event though tends to attract higher level riders, it's quite elite, so most would be very, very experienced and have excellent horses.

I'd also agree with the poster who said its no worse than tight circles in a school. There's plenty of happy healthy hunters around us in the 20's, who wouldn't blink twice at jumping a ditch.

gadetra

Visit site
Looks like a great way to lame a horse! None of the horses jumped comfortably, why destroy their confidence (and legs)?

Were we watching the same video? There was plenty of comfortable jumping on show! They are not hammering into these things, over stretching at speed. They are carefully approaching the ditches at a safe, slow speed. You will notice the horses very quickly sorting themselves out, using their brains. It's not off the ground they lick that 5th leg! I know what I feel safer riding, and it's not something that spends most of its life schooling in an arena, with occasional trips out x country or on a surface sj. As a breeder all mine go on rough, uneven mountainy ditchy land from day 1 and learn where to put their feet.
None of the horses in that vid looked over pushed or uncomfortable. No great flapping or 'show jumping' to fences, but calm sensible approaches ridden in balance and no teeth taken out. Very natural way to be going about IMO.
The cars are a bit dodgy though granted.

Twiglet

Visit site
My problem isn't with the ditch.

My issue is with the cars. Utterly irresponsible IMO

I thought exactly the same - they are two totally different things. The ditch looks challenging but a good question that seemed to be ridden well overall - the cars are just unnecessary. Thr thought of a leg through the windscreen makes me shudder.