A few questions if anybody would be kind enough to help :)

ellieplatt

Visit site
Hello, i've got a few questions, and thought it would just be easier to put them all in one post instead of a couple different ones, so here goes!!

1) What is the best bit/nose band combination for a horse that likes to open his mouth, cross jaw over and grind teeth whilest being schooled?
He only seems to do this whilest in the school, and sometimes opens his mouth whilest being lunged or hacked. Since i've had him (5months) i've been riding him in a flash noseband, and changed his bit from a hanging cheek (which he still did this in) to a 3ring gag happy mouth, purely because I felt i needed the extra leaverage as he's a very big strong fit TB and im only little, so knowing I had that helped me confidence and he seems to go well and likes the bit to. Teeth were checked back in April and no probs or issues, same with saddle back ect.

2)
What conditioning feed would you recomend which you've really seen your horses blossom on?

3) What are the pro's and con's of feeding sugarbeat? Pro's for the horses health? Worth feeding?

Thankyou for reading and hope to have some helpful answers :D
Home made chocolate muffins for readers!

PC Steele

Visit site
Grackle nosebands are good for horses that cross their jaw.
I used Baileys outshine on my boy it is the only conditioning feed that I have seen results in a month.
Sugar beet is tasty for the horse encourages them to eat, puts weight on and gives slow release energy:)

PC Steele

Visit site
Grackle nosebands are good for horses that cross their jaw.
I used Baileys outshine on my boy it is the only conditioning feed that I have seen results in a month.
Sugar beet is tasty for the horse encourages them to eat, puts weight on and gives slow release energy:)

But it can give them a runny bottom if they are prone to that,speedibeet is the best as the stuff you have to soak overnight is a pain in the bum also it can go off in warm weather

PingPongPony

Visit site
grackle will be good as said above. any bit you think he's comfortable in and that he works well in.
sorry no help on the feed
i have to dissagree with the speedibeet, i personally don't trust it, what i mean is that i don't trust it to fully expand and soak in such a short time therefore i don't like to feed it, i prefer sugar beet which you soak over night, if you're only feeding small amounts and to one horse then soak a smaller portion so it doesn't go off as easily, we only feed it at the end of autumn and through out the whole winter, its great source of slow release energy, its tasty and great to keep up the weight during winter :) all 4 have it in their feeds so i soak a big bucket of it and it lasts me for about 3 days, morning and night feeds. i know i might be weird but i just don't trust speedibeet. :eek:

Visit site
Try a grackle
Allen and page Calm and conditon has been v good for our starved warmblood - puts condition on but not too fast - soak for 10mins before feeding - just whill mucking out is fine,

Holly Hocks

Visit site
No comment on the noseband/bit combination.

For putting weight on, my mare has done fabulous on Rowen and Barbary Readymash Extra.