A genuine livery question

nix123

Visit site
This is NO WAY an advert. This is also a genuine question i have been asked by my neice, and as i do not have my own horse in livery i do not know the answer, so i thought i would ask those who have livery experience. BUT if the question is not allowed to be asked feel free to remove the post please as i do not want to get into any trouble asking it.

Posistion is based upon the Midlands area. Not saying where abouts it is, but understandably recognise there is a difference in prices across the whole of the UK.
Included in price is: Stable, own bit of turnout paddock, locked tackroom, seperate feed room, washing machine for small stuff but not to wash rugs in, kettle. (NO toilet). Use of outdoor school without lighting. Good hacking locally too.

Everything that i haven't mentioned is up to the owner of horse to provide.

Does £35 per week sound A) too good to be true. B) bite their hand off sounds brill. C) about normal.

My neice has rung round quite a few different places but has also been quoted totally different amounts or been told the yard will only provide this or that. (and to be honest what one yard classes as DIY, another one will say its part livery. Or part livery and they add on this and that which to me sounds like full livery but apperently its not) Getting a headache just writing this so no wonder my neice is confused.

Thank you.

Love

Visit site
For DIY that sounds about right, a little bit more than what it would be here (Yorkshire) but not sure how the prices differ normally. At my last yard which sounds similar to that bar the washing machine and decent hacking, with just a field to school in it was £25 a week

9tails

Visit site
Sounds far too expensive to me. So D) too expensive for no loo, no floodlit school, no bedding, no hay, no services.

I pay £35 pw in the South East, for that I get a stable, good sized shared field, floodlit school, lunge pen, farm ride including woods and gallops, loo, tea room, electricity. I have my own washing machine and wouldn't use a yard one, I can't really understand why a washing machine is provided but not a loo.

Dizzydancer

Visit site
I'm midlands based too so for an example price I pay 35/wk for stable, all yr turnout (and it actually is) either herd or individual, unlimited haylage, use of outdoor Arena 25x55 with lights, space in locked tack room, good local hacking, fields on yard to ride around, storage for straw it shavings with discount from local suppliers due to large no people they supply, and free storage of lorry/trailer if have one. We also have small kitchen with an electric heater in for winter, kettle, sink, microwave and toilet on site.

So hers does sound a little expensive really I would think more 25-30 with no feed or bedding inc

Dizzle

Visit site
I'm south west bordering on Midlands and I've found that livery prices have suddenly jumped up in the past year or two.

I used to pay (on 2 different yards) £25 a week for stable, turnout, use of school and jumps and tack room.

I now pay £35 a week for grass livery, which isn't supposed to include use of the school. Sadly I love my yard too much to move.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Expensive. I've never paid more than £25 for DIY yards with considerably better facilities in the East Midlands, West Midlands and the North West.

OWLIE185

Visit site
Sounds excellent value to me especially if everything is well maintained.
I have never understood the business model of livery yards as I can't understand how any of them can break even let alone make a surplus so that there is sufficient money to invest in the yard.

Orson Cart

Visit site
I have, by the sounds of it, similar set up to your niece. Individual turnout, sand and rubber menage (unlit) small kitchen area but no washing machine, lockable shared tack room, owners on site, cctv, very secure yard, tiny hay barn (you can just about get 2 little bales in it!) and i pay 30 pounds a month. Based in East Midlands/Anglia type area. Hth xxxx Should also add that we also have no toilet - but stables are gorgeous big american barn type arrangement. nice and quiet, just 4 horses in total. Little more expensive than other local yard - general average is 25 per month but i am happy to pay slightly more for the secure and child friendly environment.

PollyP99

Visit site
I have, by the sounds of it, similar set up to your niece. Individual turnout, sand and rubber menage (unlit) small kitchen area but no washing machine, lockable shared tack room, owners on site, cctv, very secure yard, tiny hay barn (you can just about get 2 little bales in it!) and i pay 30 pounds a month. Based in East Midlands/Anglia type area. Hth xxxx Should also add that we also have no toilet - but stables are gorgeous big american barn type arrangement. nice and quiet, just 4 horses in total. Little more expensive than other local yard - general average is 25 per month but i am happy to pay slightly more for the secure and child friendly environment.

Per month?? I'm moving up!

Mine is 23 per week plus hay and straw, has school with lights and a toilet, farm ride, good hacking, 3 acre shared field with 2 others.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
how much is 'bit of turnout paddock'? and therefore how much turnout as in will ramp up hay and bedding costs.

the school - depends on your niece whether lack of lighting is an issue or not, I don't mind schooling in the dark but lights are nice :p.

Lack of loo - is that not what stables are for?? :p

whether it is value for money depends on quality of yard/fencing/facilities as well as what is actually included.

BorgRae

Visit site
Too expensive for me!

I pay £28 per week (then extra for bedding and hay/hayledge if needed), But we have 2 outdoor schools (both floodlit), and and indoor school, miles and miles of amazing hacking and acres of fields to ride in. The grazing is fantasic and is all year round and the stables are huge, light and airy. We have private tack rooms and a toilet. The yard, schools and all fields and fencing is excellently maintained...

We're in the North West.

So I'd say yours is a tad dear.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I think it's too much. I would expect haylage included for that price. There is a yard near here that charges that, but they have a floodlit school, horse walker and feed &
turn out am for that price.

JJS

Visit site
I think it sounds overpriced. For the same, if not better, facilities, plus turnout, rug change and feed being put down in the morning, I pay £25 p/w to stable mine on a beautifully maintained yard. I'm in Yorkshire though. The amount I pay seems to be a pretty standard rate and package looking at other similar yards around here.

adamntitch

Visit site
I pay £35 a week for stable all year round turn out in herds or alone 3 schools loads of hacking tea room toilet and secure tack room but am in Edinburgh just so you get an idea of prices also schools are flood lit and get full use of jumps as well

JulesRules

Visit site
I agree too expensive. I'm on a very nice yard with loads of off road hacking, great turnout, toilet, floodlit school, jumping paddock, tea room and I pay £34

I would say about £28 max for what you describe

LadyRascasse

Visit site
I pay £145pcm for large internal stable, own turnout about an acre and a half with loads of grass, school with floodlighting, toilet, secure tackroom, storage area, toilet/kettle/fridge, good hacking and hacking around land too. This is in the expensive south east. So to me £35 a week is too expensive for what is offered.

Blythe Spirit

Visit site
yes i think 35 is dear for what she is getting in that area - also west mids i pay 35 a week for almost all year turn out, stables, bedding, flood lit surfaced arena, passable hacking, my own storage space, secure tack room, parking for my lorry toilet, kettle, jumping equipment

ihatework

Visit site
I would consider that basic DIY.

If you do the sums and don't want corners cut then I consider it more than fair in price.

However the reality is you could probably find cheaper and as such many people would (unfairly IMO) consider it overpriced

shadowboy

Visit site
My previous yard to current one was £35 a week and in the west mids but had amazing facilities- stable, 2 paddocks (1winter and 1 summer) floodlit 30x40; horse walker; 5 furlong gallops and a heated common room/kitchen. Therefore I think your option sounds expensive

ChesnutsRoasting

Visit site
Sounds excellent value to me especially if everything is well maintained.
I have never understood the business model of livery yards as I can't understand how any of them can break even let alone make a surplus so that there is sufficient money to invest in the yard.

Now Owlie, as a per previous post, I love you & want to be you but it's overpriced. Although, if it is perfect for the horse & owner then it's spot on!

zigzag

Visit site
I pay £108 a month for large stable, turnout (4 acre field no more than 4 horses on it (currently only 2) semi-decent sand school (no lights), electric. toilet, kettle, storage for hay/straw, section of feed room, two minutes road work (busy) to common land /beaches etc

HaffiesRock

Visit site
When I read these threads, it makes me realise how lucky I really am!

I am on a small private yard (1 of 3 liveries plus the YO) I have my own paddock sectioned off into 3 separate paddocks so I can open and close them to rest. I have a rubber matted stable, locked tack room that I share with 1 other livery, large area in a locked feed room, large area in the hay barn (could probably get 100 small bales in it) a sand school with jumps, and the most amazing off road hacking straight off the yard that goes on forever, there is also 2 local shows a 15 minute hack away. I have 2 ponies at this yard and my monthly bill is £60 a month. So I suppose £7.50 per pony per week!