A 'gift horse' dilemma..what do I do?!!!

kippen64

thinkingabouthorses.blogspot.com.au
When I was working full time plus overtime with three horses in work, they were on turnout 24/7 and one was always having a day off while I worked the other two.

Use the horse in some lessons with an instructor so they can see if you and the horse are a good fit. That way you will have a clearer idea on how to think about this. This will also give you an idea if you can fit him in your timetable as you will have to put aside time to do this.

touchstone

Visit site
I think considering that you are finding your current pony stressful then it would be unwise to think about getting another, and purchasing a suitable lorry would be a big expense.

For all he looks lovely and has a good temperament, I'm afraid I'd also be suspicious about a well schooled dressage horse that hasn't done anything for two years and is being sold for a song. If it sounds too good to be true then it probably is.

My advice would be to have a full vetting and give the horse a good trial if you are still considering it, otherwise walk away. Remember that the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence and some lovely looking horses can turn into nightmares. You can continue to enjoy your pony with less stress. :)

Big-Brother

Visit site
I think considering that you are finding your current pony stressful then it would be unwise to think about getting another, and purchasing a suitable lorry would be a big expense.

For all he looks lovely and has a good temperament, I'm afraid I'd also be suspicious about a well schooled dressage horse that hasn't done anything for two years and is being sold for a song. If it sounds too good to be true then it probably is.

My advice would be to have a full vetting and give the horse a good trial if you are still considering it, otherwise walk away. Remember that the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence and some lovely looking horses can turn into nightmares. You can continue to enjoy your pony with less stress. :)

Totally agree

MarinaBay

Visit site
Find out more about the potential new horse ride him, sped time with him then think about it! You will know surely once you have spent time with him.

BBP

Visit site
Thanks everyone. I'm going to find out a bit more and keep my sensible head on. (was only joking about pony induced stress, I love every challenging minute with him). I do think its a case of person he was bought for having no interest in him rather than anything the horse has done wrong, they just didn't gel, but there could be more to it than that.

smellsofhorse

Visit site
You dont know enough about the horse.
How does the owner know you would be well suited if you have never ridden it or even handled it.

It may be a good oportuntity but think carefully and try the horse lots and test each other out.