A girth & stirrup question

Joss

Visit site
Horse just coming back into work after an enforced 3 month break so I am sorting out his tack.
Question 1: what sort of girth do people prefer? Leather isn't very practical for us as we ride in the sea a lot. My favourite for years has been a wintec chafe less elastic girth. Don't like one's with elastic inserts. . . Is there anything better that I have missed?

Question 2: what type of stirrups do you prefer? I don't like flashy ones or black ones much. Do the bendy type really make a difference ?

Looking forward to your answers! :)

FireFly29

Visit site
I like the wintec girths, I also have a professionals choice girth that's nice but it has elastic at the ends.
I have Mark Todd aluminum stirrups that are lightweight and have a wide tread so are pretty comfy, they are about £40.
I'm saving for some Bow Balance Sprengers though as I've just had a knee op so thinking they might help when I'm back in the saddle!

TarrSteps

Visit site
I love the Bridleway girths for everyday as very reasonable and horses seem to like them.

I have flexible stirrups on my own saddle and prefer them. A lot of horses I sit on have the wide plastic ones but generally I am not a fan as find they make my dodgy ankle stiff and sore.

blood_magik

Visit site
I have sprenger bow balance or Whitaker flexi stirrups on all of my saddles. I do notice a difference if i ride in normal stirrups.

can't help girth-wise as all of mine are leather - we just clean them and condition after riding in the sea but we don't do that very often.

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
I like leather girths with no elastic, my favourite is a nice curved one in really beautiful leather.
For really muddy and wet conditions, the Stubben string girths are good. Less chaffing on bellies.

After a leg operation, I bought the sprenger flexible irons and while they're nice, I'm not particularly bothered. I don't notice a difference between the saddle with them on and the one's without.
I only have a problem with stiffness if I ride tense, so its probably a good reminder for me.

Last edited:

Nic

Visit site
I have dodgy knees & 1 ride in anything but my bog standard cheapie flexi irons & I really notice it. Not tried Sprenger.