A good balanced diet for a laminitic, athritic, elderly pony?

Archina

Visit site
Basically my very first pony Ive had since I was 8yrs old (Iam now 25 :eek:) has just recently turned 22. Shes prone to laminitis and has a touch of athritis that can make her slightly unsound on bad days. Shes also getting a lot more grumpier in her old age but am not too fussed about that! lol :rolleyes:

I need a good balanced diet that will be able to help with the athritis but not put a lot of weight on as its a constant battle to keep her slim. Last winter she got a sprinkle of hifi molasses free and about a cup full of soaked grass pellets twice a day with magnesium & glucosomine supplements. I felt like this was good for her weight wise but it wasnt helping to much with her athritis as she was constantly on and off lame. We cant get any hay in our area so she has to get haylage at night but her net is about half the size of normal nets with really small holes so she doesnt get a lot every night. I am sure there is something else she could be getting that would be a lot better for her. I love this pony to bits and want to keep her going for as long as possible and know early prevention is the best cure! :)

I would love to find out what other people have tried that works for there horses. :)
Many thanks! xx

377625_4603168442053_585012217_n.jpg

Natch

Visit site
Sounds like a haylage and a balancer job to me :) balancer either pelleted or mixed with a little bit of speedibeet or fast fibre.

AngieandBen

Visit site
MY ponies nearly 22 as well, I don't feed anything special. But I have found Linseed from Charwood Milling to be the best thing for his coat/feet and joints. He has a small mugfull a day with a couple of handfulls of Fast Fibre soaked and about 40g of magnesium, plus a tablespoon of salt.

Just been on a two hour hack and last week we were galloping on Holkham beach :)

thatsmygirl

Visit site
I also agree, a good vit/min in fast fibre and iv found that pure devil claw herb has been a god send to my stiff mare who is also on linseed