A good flatwork lesson yesterday and a saddle recommendation needed please!!!?

OskyWoskyPonio

Visit site
Had a really good lesson with a new instructor yesterday :D
Oscar was working very nicely and we did lots of work on getting him to soften and relax and on maintaining that through his transitions :) Didn't work for too long as it was pretty warm and I still ache from Sunday but the lady teaching us really liked him and thought he had great potential which is always nice to hear! :D

However, we currently have a Bates Momentum jump saddle and obviously this isn't going to help us with our dressage and flatwork so I was wondering if anyone could recommend any good (but non-expensive ;) a girl can wish!) dressage saddles? He is a really awkward shape to fit and I was looking at maybe the Wintec Isabelle as Wintec is an offshoot of Bates (or the other way round! :confused:) and the Bates seems to fit him ok so I'm assuming the wintec are a similar fit?? Have the opportunity to try a Wintec 500 (second hand) and wanted to know people's thoughts on these as a dressage saddle? We aren't doing medium or PSG or anything (!) just prelim and hopefully some novices in the future as well as dressage at ODEs :)

I sat in an Albion SLK the other day in the tack shop as I was trying on a new body protector! It was ever so comfy but I think I will have to win the lottery before I can afford anything like that!! :( ;)

Last edited:

BigRed

Visit site
There are loads of second hand saddles out there and people are desperate to get rid of them. There is nothing wrong with an old saddle. My first dressage saddle was pretty ancient, so don't think you can't afford one.

PorkChop

Visit site
I have an Isabell Wintec, they put you in a great position, you can't beat a well made leather one though, but I bought mine as a stop gap until I could afford a better one and to see if I would like riding in a dressage saddle because I have very long legs, so definately can recommend them. I also have my second hand one for sale if anyone is interested :rolleyes:

meesa1

Visit site
If you've not already sold it could you please PM me the details of the one you're selling too! Thanks :)

soupdragon71

Visit site
I would definetely go for a good quality second hand leather saddle instead of a new synthetic one. They are also worn in so a lot comfier. I bought a fantastic albion dressage saddle for £300 recently. Also bought another albion dressage for old horse (it had flair air panels which he loved) for £350. You'll find that even though they maybe quite old they are nearly new condition as dressage saddles tend to be used less often than jump/gp saddles.

Booboos

Visit site
Well done on the lesson!

I quite like the saddle company saddles, they are lightweight, leather with a synthetic underside which some horses really like and adjustable - might be worth a look.