A horrible, horrible week... my best boy has gone.....

{97702}

Visit site
My gorgeous wonderful loving devoted adorable Hoover hound lost his battle on Wednesday evening against whatever undiagnosed illness he had. I am absolutely and totally devastated.

He had a great weekend last weekend, even though he was still painfully thin he was eating well 4 times a day and he enjoyed his walks on both days.

I’d got his blood test results back on Tuesday, which showed that it wasn’t pancreatitis; to me that was very bad news, as it meant it was very likely he had IBS or - more likely - cancer. Weirdly nothing showed on his scan or in any blood tests that were done, but after losing Talisker in 2008 with lymphoma I had a horrible idea...

vet was not convinced however, so on her advice I took him down on Tuesday evening for a Vitamin B12 injection and some antibiotics. On Tuesday night he had a really bad night - for the first time he really looked unwell and unhappy, he got me up four times in the night and was clearly in discomfort.

I rang the vet on Wednesday morning to ask if I could give him some pain killlers, but at lunchtime I got a call from my dog sitter to say he still was panting and unsettled (obviously he hadn’t been like that while I was getting ready for work). I dropped everything at work and was home 30 mins later, I gave him some Metacam but he still didn’t settle. So I had to make the hardest decision for him.

I had Hoover for 6 years and 10 months - he was my “epic fail” when I did my first ever transport run for greyhound rescue. I was meant to go to
Hopwood Services to pick up two dogs from trainers, and bring them back to rescue kennels. One of them was Hoover, and 2 days later he came home with me :)

I was so lucky to have him - I have never known such a gentle, loving, sweet and innocent boy who adored me just as much as I adored him. He acted like a puppy all of his life, especially when he was playing with his squeaky duck toy 😊. there will never be another like him, he leaves a massive gap in my life.

Give your dogs an extra hug every day and tell them how special they are 1EFB3037-EF2D-47E4-B56F-07F0105D3746.jpeg865628B8-0457-457E-B3FC-0E51147F295D.jpeg82E6100C-3D86-441F-AF42-4266570A94D8.jpeg1AFA7DD7-913D-407E-8E73-1897DFCD9F05.jpeg

Last edited:

{97702}

Visit site
Thank you all for your kind words - the new ‘like’ button seems a bit FB-ish but I genuinely appreciate your posts, thank you 😊

Moobli

Visit site
Such sad news 😢. I’m so sorry Lev but you must take comfort from all the wonderful times you shared and memories you made together. Hoover was one very lucky boy but that won’t help heal your broken heart at the moment 🐾💔

{97702}

Visit site
Awww flip I'm crying again..... he was such an absolute dude (well - unless you were a small dog in his earlier years :rolleyes:) and thgirls aren't tolerant of being sobbed all over like he was. But I know as well how very lucky I was to have him for 7 wonderful years

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I'm so sorry, they do leave such a big hole. He was just as lucky to have found you as you were to have found him, you gave him six good years and made the right decision for him at the end.