A how much please - insurance?

only_me

Visit site
Hmm, online thing asks for an estimation of a horse's value - except I have no idea :eek:
Please can you help me? I just need an idea of what you would value him at please :)

17h 5 year old coloured ISH(3/4tb 1/4ID). Out of a 3* eventing stallion.
excellent paces (scores 8 at BD/DI). Has 8 points from 2 outings Scored 68% from a list 1 judge in Prelim. Has done 3 intros this season, been placed 2nd, 10th and 2nd. His dressage scores 32.5, 27, 23 (!). Very athletic and scopey, will have a great gallop when he develops more. XC getting more confident with each outing. About to move up to Pre-novice eventing :)Should have scope to go 2* easy, rider's scope is more of an issue :p Has showjumped to 1m at shows, at home has jumped bigger. Very trainable and intelligent, established shoulder-fore & leg-yield in trot and canter.
He is very much a gentleman, brilliant manners and easy to keep. Good to catch (when not donkey chasing) shoe travel etc. Good conformation, has 2 small splints so unable to show at high level (will do well at local/small county) and very handsome ;)

What do you think? It's hard for me to have an idea because of that idealistic word "potential" :p
Cherry Lips for those that reply :p Thanks :)

cptrayes

Visit site
What do you want to insure him for - cover for vets bills mainly? Are you concerned about recovering his full value if he dies or some money if you get loss of use??

If you are insuring to get vet cover, then insure for £500 or £1000 and you will get the cheapest cover that way. This is not fraud, by the way, the vet part of what you pay for insurance is not related to the value of the horse, only the uses to which it is put.

If you insure him for his true value you will almost certainly have to produce a recent 5* vetting which will cost you around £250. I assume that you did not recently buy him after a vetting, otherwise you would know what he was worth :)

TicTac

Visit site
Guess the best way to value him it to look at what you would have to pay to replace him.

In this current economic climate some good horses are going for next to nothing, and those that are selling, are either realistically priced or can do the job. Have a look at what is around with similar capabilities and base your valuation on that. But the higher the value on your horse the more your insurance will be.

only_me

Visit site
I have a recent 5* vetting (November 10). I suppose insuring for what he is worth atm, but it very much depends on how much he is worth on whether we go for vets insurance or full cover :)

Little Legs Eventing

Visit site
TBH I think you more need to consider if you can afford the premiums! I've got J insured for less than half his value because I can't afford to pay any more on the insurance premium!

I'm assuming your vets cert from November 2010 is when you bought him? I'd use that figure and then add a little for the results you have achieved thus far.

NicoleS_007

Visit site
I think depending on the company you have to have a recent (within 1 month) vetting if your insuring over 3500? We had my gelding insured for that with no vetting. Im yet to get A insured :rolleyes: she'll be insured for 4000 ( People who broke her said if she was theres they'd ask 5500, when we bought her that is!! But i dont think so lol) but B would def be worth more!! Just seen a Nov eventer on horseabout for 5000 and a 4yr whom has done nowt for (you might remember it, you said a cob with tb legs :p) 5250!!