A how much please - you know you love 'em!!

scotsmare

www.creativewritingforaliving.co.uk
As per title, my 3 yr olds insurance is due up soon and I'm trying to gauge an accurate value as I think she's possibly under valued!

16.1, steel grey, mare. Hannovarian x BWB (Akkord / Atlantus lines), conformation good (perhaps a little short through rein). Bought as a foal and been shown and placed at county standard. Have a dressage career in mind for her. Good to box, catch, farrier etc.

Any ideas?? Sorry can't do pics just now cos I'm at work (and bored obviously!)
grin.gif

Thankies
smile.gif

Kenzo

Visit site
Suppose you have to take into consideration how much you paid for him to begin with, then look how they have improved..general handling, condition gained, has the horse been broken in since (sorry that word annoys people I know lol) and how much it would cost you to replace him..at the stage he's at now with another well bred horse etc

Putting a potential value on them is a tricky because you don't know what the horse will be capable off as yet (if you know what I mean) also depends on the area and what other like for like horses are selling at (that's selling and not for sale at) with a good show record etc.

scotsmare

www.creativewritingforaliving.co.uk
Yep, I know exactly what you mean. She was a bit of a bargain as a foal and did well in the ring. She's just starting to be broken in now. I currently have her insured for £2k but having looked around I don't think I could replace her for the same money!

zoeshiloh

www.stowmarketanddistrictridingclub.com
No, I think 2k is vastly undervalued. But, I also know how difficult it can be to get insurance companies to acknowledge the value of youngstock. It took Petplan two months to verify how much my lad was worth, despite him having results at county shows, and siblings advertised in H&H for similar money to what I was valuing him at.

If I was looking to buy/sell your horse I'd be gauging at a price bracket of £3500 - £4500, obviously depending on how she looked, moved, how educated she was etc.

Kenzo

Visit site
Yes sounds like your now in a similar predicament to what I was in when I was renewing my horses insurance, I paid £2,500 for him (horse in my sigi) as an untouched 2yr old back in May 07 but this June renewed his insurance, he's now 4.

Basically I took what I paid for him, added the cost of top from being sent for backing and considered what it would cost me to say buy the same type of horse again but also, I suppose everyone is different though, a horse to me is irreplaceable when it comes to market value, my main priorities was loss of use, all vet fees and liability/personal accident etc so I have the important things covered but I've still kept his market value down to save a little on a higher premium, but that's just my personal choice and I'm happy with that, I think it would be dishonest to be shooting myself in the foot a bit to value him over 3k..perhaps I'm just old fashioned but I think I'm being honest and realistic.

Decisions decisions
smile.gif
grin.gif