A how much question

Jingleballs

Visit site
Due to recently starting a family I’m struggling to get any time to spend with my horse. He’s currently turned away on full grass livery so he’s getting looked after but I’m maybe managing to pop up twice a week to give him a check over. He’s happy as larry which is good but I’m not sure I’ll have time to ride any time soon and to be honest, for the first time in 8 years of owning him I’ve properly lost the bug – right now if you told me I’d never sit on a horse again it wouldn’t phase me. This isn’t just a recent thing, I’ve been feeling like this for a good few months now and I'm actually starting to resent the amount he cost me every month.

I’d considered putting him on full loan but tbh, that seemed like more hassle than it was worth – I did advertise him and had about 30 people enquire – some of them seemed really promising but I was concerned about my ability to ensure I’d found the right loaner or the risk that he could be returned to me injured or at short notice – I’ve seen this happen too often.

I’d always said I’d never sell but want to ensure I consider all options.

So, on to the how much part. Here’s the lowdown on my boy –

13 year old, 14.2 piebald cob gelding.

Nice sturdy boy with a good bit of bone. Good feet (currently barefoot). Easy to do, lives out happily but also happy to be stabled overnight. Hacks alone or in company, happy to go at the front or the back although he’s not the most forward when out hacking but at the same time, isn’t a total plod.

Has nice flashy paces for his type – has previously competed and been placed regularly at prelim and to a lesser extent novice dressage.

Can pop a jump but is not a born jumper. I’ve competed him round several 75/80cm xc courses – he’s not the fastest but is nice and steady and rarely if ever stops. This means he does sometimes get placed.

He’s the type of horse that you could turn away for a month or more and then just hop back on and he won’t bat an eyelid.

Only vices – he doesn’t like getting his legs clipped or his forlock and not keen on getting wormed via syringe – prefers it in his feed.

He gets a touch of mud fever (typical of his breed) but other than that he’s barely had a single issue in all the time I’ve owned him.

So how much? I paid £4k for him 8 years ago but that was at a time when coloured cobs were the in thing and while I don’t regret it for a second, I don’t think he’s worth that now especially as he’s spent most of the last year and a half as a happy hacker (I no longer compete so don’t see the point in schooling).

ihatework

Visit site
He sounds like a nice horse and the type that many would like. He's older now which will drop his price a little but for the market you should be aiming at shouldn't be a major issue.

One sticking point might be that he's out of work at the moment - for genuine reason obviously but the suspicious among us might wonder.

Your location will also influence how much he could achieve.

Sold as he is from the field then I'd think in the 1-2K bracket.

Get him in, tidy him up, start working him and I would reckon 2.5-3K if marketed correctly

Jingleballs

Visit site
Thanks both - he was my first horse - he was rising 5 and I'd been taking lessons for a couple of years. He's bombproof and a saint of a horse so that's the type of market I'd be aiming for - he's not really a competition horse - better suited to a hacking/rc type home.

I would of course get him back in work and tidied up if I did decide to sell - he's only been out of work for a couple of months so wouldn't take much to get him back on track.

JadeyB

Visit site
He sounds lovely, do you think you'd regret selling him in a year or two when you get some more time to yourself? I'm struggling to get back into riding after starting a family so gave up my horse because it felt right but i do miss him like mad and know that he's not one i'll ever be able to replace. I seem to put all of my energy into my baby and feel like there's nothing left at the end of the day but hopefully it'll balance out soon enough. do you think that would be the case with you too?

Would it be worth getting a sharer if he's generally happy to tick over on grass livery for now?

Jingleballs

Visit site
The answer is I'm not sure - at the moment, I've completely gone off riding. I often find that I don't even want to go and check on him as it's just another chore on the very long list. I also don't know if my daughter will have any interest in horses - I know people say you'll have more time when they get older but I'm keen to encourage her to have hobbies and I don't expect I'll have much time for horses if I'm then spending my weekends and evenings taking her to different activities - which ultimately, is my priority - she has to come first.

I'd tried to find a sharer before but didn't have much success - I've recently moved him to another yard as I couldnt justify the cost of full livery for a horse that will live out. I might have more luck at my current yard although the arena is tiny and not great - hacking is good though. It's probably worth a try. At the moment I think he's loving his holiday and if I can try and keep costs down I can keep him for about £200 a month which isn't too bad.

Last edited:

ponydi

Visit site
You sound pretty convinced that you won't have the time to do anything much with him in the foreseeable future - I would sell (2 - 3K at this time of year) and let someone else have fun with him. You might find that your enthusiasm comes back while you get him fit and tidy.

JLD

Visit site
I would pay about 2.5 k for him and when / if I get another ( having given up riding after having my children !) He would be exactly what I would be after. saying that he is probably what you will be after if/when you want to get back into it and they are hard to find so think carefully if loaning really wouldn't work for you but I don't know how old your child is - my oldest is nearly 6 and I couldn't imagine making time for a horse again any time soon as my priorities have changed so much.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Get him into work and sold to someone nice who will appreciate him for the lovely horse he sounds.

I know it's hard for you but you change in life and at this point you don't need him. Someone else will.

Realistically he will be retirement age before you might be back into wanting to ride (or you might not).

I was out of horses for 10 years. I sold my horse and I don't regret it now. She's in a nice home but retired and I am into a totally different sort of horse (a hobby I do with my now 6yr old daughter).

Jingleballs

Visit site
Thanks all - my daughter is currently less than a year old so I don't expect things to change any time soon. In fact, I expect her to be more demanding of my time as she gets older, sleeps less and needs more stimulation.

FfionWinnie - you are right, he's exactly the sort of thing I'd be looking for if I did ever want to get back to riding. I like the idea of loaning but unless I'm lucky and find the perfect loaner I'm worried that it could cause more stress as ultimately, he'd still be my responsbility. If I sell, that risk of not finding the right person still exists but there is no risk of him being suddenly returned to me and he's someone else's responsbility.

SpringArising

Visit site
Thanks all - my daughter is currently less than a year old so I don't expect things to change any time soon. In fact, I expect her to be more demanding of my time as she gets older, sleeps less and needs more stimulation.

FfionWinnie - you are right, he's exactly the sort of thing I'd be looking for if I did ever want to get back to riding. I like the idea of loaning but unless I'm lucky and find the perfect loaner I'm worried that it could cause more stress as ultimately, he'd still be my responsbility. If I sell, that risk of not finding the right person still exists but there is no risk of him being suddenly returned to me and he's someone else's responsbility.

I really think you're doing the right thing by selling. He's the type of horse lots of people want, so there'll be loads of good, sensible homes out there. I bet it'll feel like a huge weight off your shoulders once he's gone, even if you don't realise it now. I know in the past when I've sold certain horses, I've felt so much better almost immediately!

epeters91

Visit site
He sounds like he would be an amazing fit for a local riding school maybe? A steady to learn on type but can also offer more experienced riders the option to jump and practice some dressage. If you are unsure about selling maybe a riding school would be interested in loaning him off you? That way he's still yours but in a safe place where they will care for him well and you could even have a lesson on him if you did feel like the bug was coming back :) otherwise 'm sure you will have no problems selling him if thats what you decide to do :) good luck!

Jingleballs

Visit site
I wouldn't want a riding school life for him - I've liveried at riding schools and the horses are overworked imo. I'd be more inclined to find a nice quiet home for him with someone who's looking to spoil him and do some hacking and low level competing.

LHIS

Visit site
OP he sounds like just the sort of horse I'd buy. Plenty of people I'm sure would be interested in him. I don't have enough experience to draw on to suggest a price, but I think the suggestions of around the 2K mark are reasonable if he could be brought back into work by a friend maybe?

If you don't want to sell, perhaps try and list him with a charity like horses4homes? They advertise shares, loans and ownership sign overs. They could help you find a suitable long-term loan home for him, they have representatives that vet the potential homes and owners. Might be an option for you.

OWLIE185

Visit site
Provided he is really 100% bombproof/spookproof and will go first or last by himself or in company and taking into account his issue with clipping and worming then he would be worth about £3,000 (including saddle, bridle etc.) You will need to show him ridden by himself in heavy traffic to get this sort of price.

SallyBatty

Visit site
I think I would sell in your circumstances, purely so you wont have to worry about the possibility of him being returned. Sounds a really nice type though and I would probably be looking to pay around £1-2k for him excluding tack.

Jingleballs

Visit site
Thanks for all your comments. I think ultimately, selling is the best option. I just don't want the responsibility of owing a horse any more - when I do go up to see him it's more out of obligation than any real desire to do so and I don't think that's a great sign.

Horse owning just isn't really a hobby that you can dip in and out of! Now I just need to muster up the strength to write is for sale advert.