A How Much!

Parkranger

Visit site
Right, if I did go for the sale option, who much for:

8yo 16hh liver chestnut gelding TB.

Blind in one eye (but not an issue for him at all) great paces, good jump (although green), 110% on the roads (unless his stupid mother takes him down a busy road he doesn't know) buses, tractors, nothing phases him. Good on the ground (apart from shoeing, which we're working on) and is good to box.

I'm thinking of getting him reschooled before selling so he'll be well schooled before I sell him....

No nasty replies GTS!! xx

Ferdinase514

Visit site
OK am useless at these.....

Has he done any local comps - so you can tell purchasers what he is like at competitions and demonstrate talent?

Am thinking £2,500-£3000

**Ducks and hides***

JaneMBE

Visit site
I am uselkess too cos I am cheap! But, if he is only 110% on roads he knows, if he goes to someone else he wont know the roads therefore he is not 110 % ? If that makes sense!
I would pay 1850-2000 if he is just a hacker and has done no comps etc. (sorry!)

ed to say. i did say I was cheap!

Blizzard

Visit site
Hmm not a lot Im afraid, he is 8 after all, and to be quite green still and not even good to shoe well I wouldnt want to part with a lot of cash for him.

also to me 110% on the roads means no matter what, did he bolt off the other day when you got off?
Horses do have to go to new places and I wouldnt advertise him as 110% on roads if he did that.

My mare was similar, nothing scared her on the roads, she would squeeze past a lorry, bus, diggers anything, never batted an eyelid, but she could be naughty and nap.

Finally although the blindness is not an issue to him, unfortunately it would be an issue to a lot of potential buyers.

I wont base my estimate on when he is schooled because of course I dont know what he would be like or what level he would be at.
And Im assuming he has done no comps etc.

also is he an ex flat or jump racer?

If he is an ex flat I honestly wouldnt pay more than about £1000 for him.

I know it soudns very low and once he was reschooled if he really improved Im sure you could easily get 3 times that, im just basiing my estimate on how he is now.
If he was 4 I would have said a bit more.

Sorry
frown.gif

Theresa_F

Visit site
About £1,000 - £1,500 (as is). There are a lot of TBs like this around and being a one eyed horse owner I know that some people are put off by this.

I would personally put him up for sale before reschooling - you may find someone who wants a green horse to bring on.

You may also spend alot of money on reschooling that will not be recovered in his sale price.

If there is no interest, then you may need to do something schoolingwise with him.

If I were having him reschooled, I would consider being involved, it may be that you would find you are suited if you were given instruction on how to deal with him by someone with lots of experience with this type of horse, assuming you actually like him most of the time.

Tia

Visit site
Personally I couldn't consider a horse who is blind in one eye. There are a tonne of ex-racehorses over here and the odd thing about a load of them is, they are all blind in one eye.
confused.gif
I don't know the history of your horse, but from what I have been told here by many people, is it seems to be standard procedure that if the horse does not behave then a headcollar is flung over the shoulder into the horse - the result is being blinded.

Green at jumping? Well that can be trained and may not necessarily be something the new owner would care about.

110% on roads.....at least on roads he knows; not truly 110% then.

Good to handle and good to box is a plus for him, however these things are not extras to me, they are mandatory and expected.

Not good for farrier? That's a major pain in the butt for someone like me.

To someone who is looking for a good hack, who knows what they would pay?

Baggybreeches

www.photobucket.com
Really speaking if he is to be sold The schooling wont make that much difference to the price, you might spend £500 and not get any more for him. I would honestly say £1000 to £1500, I have a perfectly safe and sensible ex hurdler that we took on to save from knackerman, and we are gonna give him to the right person. He has done a lot more than you're boy too.

Puppy

Visit site
As the others have said I don't think he's worth to much tbh
frown.gif

He is a green ex racer - you can get them ten a penny!!
He is blind in one eye.
He is NOT 100% on the roads judging by your recent experiences.
He has recently had soundness issues I understand.
He's naughty to shoe.
And didn't you have to sedate him to load him and bring him home the other day??

You are talking mere hundreds here; certainly not the other side of £1000. If I were in your situation, tbh, I would pretty much write off whatever you paid for him, and just concentrating on finding him a nice home. Maybe give him away on permanent loan to make sure he doesn't end up being passed around the dodgy dealers and sales which would be my worry as you'd get so little for him.

I do hope that you can find him a nice home. H. x