A hunter is born :)

Countryside

Visit site
michaelhunting11-300x225.jpg

I had the fortunate opportunity to take a bona fide newcomer to hunting at the newcomers’ meet held by the Chiddingfold, Leconfield and Cowdray Hunt last weekend.

I informed my Michael, a nervous 15 year old aboard his three months broken welsh cob (who had a change of career from pulling a hearse in Wales at the start of the summer) that he would be going a month ago. Preparations were going well – including a very smart clip, instructions to ‘get the mare fitter’ by hacking and roadwork, and experiments with slightly stronger brakes – until his pre-hunt nerves got the better of him the night before.

Protests that “I’m going to fall off!” as well as “She won’t jump the huge brick walls” (we are in Surrey...) fell on deaf ears. It seems one of the reasons the many recreational riders in the UK give hunting a miss is the perception it is three hours of flat out galloping over dry stone walls - and most do not have an Alliance employee assuring them all will be fine . I added a martingale to the glistening tack of the pony and assured Michael all would be fine, and if in doubt, to kick and hold on to the neck strap.

Held before the 11am starts of hunting proper, the Newcomers’ meet at Cate and Tom Osmanston’s Lowfold Farm started at 9 sharp, and despite the early start we were stuck in a half a mile jam for twenty minutes whilst we waited to turn into the farm to be told the field was full and we had better park on the road. A quick leg up later, and Michael was mounted, nervously and we went off in search of friends who had also travelled to hunt for the first time.

Turning up the path to the farm, I was astounded by the volume of horseboxes and trailers. Huntsman Sage and his whippers in kept the hounds to one side and I led a group over to meet them, who were amazed by the size and friendliness of these athletes of the canine world, and were particularly taken with the “hairy hound”, who was more concerned with a cuddle than a days hunting, and “eyebrow hound”, so called because of his black face and distinguished tan eyebrows.

It was like an opening meet, or Boxing Day, but not what I expected for a newcomers meet. Everywhere I looked; newcomers hovered aboard their mounts with a look of anticipation about what lay ahead.

The ever friendly ‘Chid and Lec’, of course, had thought of this – and the secretaries rode round introducing themselves and giving instruction. Further accommodation was made for nervous jumpers, with the instruction to follow Charles Homan who led the non jumping field. “The rest of you, follow me – and don’t worry” shouted Tim Lee as they set off.

The horses moved away, including the gang of newcomers I accompanied, leaving a huge amount of foot followers behind. Led by Clare, we duly marched to the first jump – a hedge.

Five minutes later, the hounds passed, followed by Sage who had a twinkle in his eye, as if to say “...that will sort the rough from the smooth”. A thunder of hooves later and the field appeared, and we all cringed as the first horse leapt over – followed by forty or so others, including some very bold ponies with even bolder children. All across (or negotiated around) safely, we moved on down into the valley to watch the field jump some timber, as the non jumping field thundered past full pelt – including the Shetland ponies on lead reins who were somehow managing to keep up with the thoroughbreds they were attached too.

‘Kick’ I shouted to Michael, in my best pony club instructor voice, as he approached a pheasant feeder – his first jump. The pony leapt it, and, despite a lost stirrup, Michael punched the air with a grin as the foot followers cheered his effort. His honest mare pricked her ears and galloped off full steam ahead to catch the rest of the field, and a hunter was born.

A near four mile trek over West Sussex’s finest farmland and the foot followers arrived in a field for tea – a welcome rest for those of us who usually prefer to let the horse carry us over that much country! During this time, newbies mingled with the staunch foot followers, who asked questions which were duly answered by those who could whilst the port was poured. The atmosphere was friendly and an exact reflection of the welcoming nature, not just of the Chid and Lec, but hunts countrywide.

The entire field arrived for tea, and I had the chance to ask Robin Muir, MFH, how many people he thought had followed mounted. “We stopped counting at 111” he said, with a grin – “we were only expecting 40!”

Huntsman Sage, with that devilish twinkle again, shouted to the foot followers to “stand over there if you want a laugh” as the bravest of the newcomers set off again to jump some of the hedges this particular part of the country is famed for whilst the rest of the field, jumping and non, waited to cheer them over. Yelps of delight from everyone as braver friends cleared the last hedge, as well as a few “oooohs” as people became unseated, added to the camaraderie of the day. Children on ponies flew over whilst their parents flew off sideways, only to be left to remount by unconcerned offspring more intent on finding the next hedge than their parents wellbeing!

Tim Lee addressed the field before Sage blew for home, asking if they would be out through the season. A roar of applause followed with a cheer – and a resounding “yes” as the field turned back to hack home, until next time.

Hunting Newcomers’ Week runs from the 16-23rd October 2010. To find out more details of a meet near you, visit www.countryside-alliance.org.uk

Helen000

Visit site
Great report!

Yes, it was a fabulous day - I was a jumper but watched my other half jump the HUGE hedges from a far.

My horse bless her got so excited she couldn't move - hopefully after a few more times out she gets more used to it.

Looking forward to the opening meet!

amage

Visit site
Thank you so much for posting this...it has made the decision for me and my beloved showjumping mare will be heading for the hunting field as soon as we are fit enough! I posted below asking advice and your post has just cemented my decision! Definitely Ireland needs a hunting Newcomers week