A livery’s horse hit my car - who pays?

OlderNotWiser

Visit site
Today a groom was leading a full
livery horse out to the field when she spooked and swung into my car. There is a sizeable dent in the tailgate. The yard owner is saying that the owner has to pay for the damage but surely as the horse was in the charge of the groom it is down to the yard’s liability cover or the grooms own insurance? Anyone have any experience of this?
(Edited for grammar)

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Unless the car was parked causing an obstruction to the horse's route in which case it's the car owners fault.
Even if the intended route was partially blocked by a car, it’s the horse’s handler who decides whether it is safe to lead the horse past the car. It is never right to barrel past with insufficient room.

Hand it over to the car’s insurance co and let them fight it out with the other parties. If the groom is an employee, then it should come off the yard’s insurance if indeed they have any.

OlderNotWiser

Visit site
Even if a car park says ‘at your own risk’ and ours doesn’t, there are circumstances where it’s unenforceable.
This mare hates the tractor which the groom knows and yet she led the horse out past the tractor and she spooked a considerable distance before hitting the car. If it was only a dink I would suck it up but it’s a substantial dent.

Abacus

Visit site
Even if a car park says ‘at your own risk’ and ours doesn’t, there are circumstances where it’s unenforceable.
This mare hates the tractor which the groom knows and yet she led the horse out past the tractor and she spooked a considerable distance before hitting the car. If it was only a dink I would suck it up but it’s a substantial dent.
That makes it even more the groom or employer's liability, as she knew that the horse was scared of something and took a risk, knowingly. Unfortunately though I don't think you can avoid talking to the insurance company unless your YO just agrees to pay or claim on her insurance (or indeed chase the horse owner to pay). If you were to tell her to deal with your insurance company she might give in. Doesn't make life comfortable at the yard though.

Was't thee a case in court just a few days ago about a girl hurt when an RDA horse chucked her off? A lot of the decision was based on whether the horse was known to be reliable/unreliable and whether the girl riding knew that.

nagblagger

Visit site
Groom or YO, if i was the owner of the horse i wouldn't be happy that the groom put her at risk.

Apercrumbie

Visit site
I imagine the horse's owner is quite annoyed that her horse was put in this position then - the horse could easily have been injured and it sounds like it was an avoidable situation if the groom knows the horse hates the tractor.
ETA - IMO it's the YO's responsibility, not the owner's.

Fieldlife

Visit site
I imagine the horse's owner is quite annoyed that her horse was put in this position then - the horse could easily have been injured and it sounds like it was an avoidable situation if the groom knows the horse hates the tractor.
ETA - IMO it's the YO's responsibility, not the owner's.
Playing devils advocate, if grooms job is to bring horses in / turn them out and tractor is nearby, what do you expect them to do? Especially if YO us aware of tractor location?

lauragreen85

Visit site
Today a groom was leading a full
livery horse out to the field when she spooked and swung into my car. There is a sizeable dent in the tailgate. The yard owner is saying that the owner has to pay for the damage but surely as the horse was in the charge of the groom it is down to the yard’s liability cover or the grooms own insurance? Anyone have any experience of this?
(Edited for grammar)
I would say yard owners insurance . is there much damage?

scruffyponies

Visit site
I'm pretty sure neither YO or owner's insurance may not pay out as I think the claimant had to prove fault and that's hard in this situation.
You can pay out of pocket to get it fixed at a reputable 'low overhead' type place (usually found operating out of farm buildings somewhere). The cost to repair a dent is likely less than the excess on a claim, and your insurance need never know.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Also it depends how much you like your yard as the attitude already indicates that you and the yard owner might not be seeing eye to eye.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Playing devils advocate, if grooms job is to bring horses in / turn them out and tractor is nearby, what do you expect them to do? Especially if YO us aware of tractor location?
Wait to pass by the tractor safely or ask them to stop and turn off the engine off if it is stationary where you meed to walk.

blitznbobs

Visit site
It’s without doubt the yard owners responsibility (unless the groom is freelance then it is theirs) it is not the horse owners who has used a professional to do a service which they have been negligent in doing. If they knew the risks then they could have asked you to move your car before bringing the horses through. Definitely the groom’s fault so it depends how the groom is employed

Apercrumbie

Visit site
As the groom knows that the horse is very scared of tractors, I expect them to wait until the tractor has gone before leading them.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
One of mine is not great with any motor vehicle so tractors are probably the scariest thing, I wouldn't risk leading him or riding him through a small gap or near anything he could knock if I'm near one, as he will rush past and then looses the ability to be aware of what is around him.

I have turned around or gone a different way to avoid them in the past, if someone handling my horse put him in a situation where he hit something I would hold them responsible and be really angry.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

Wait, but if it's impossible to move the tractor, lead the horse with the groom between the horse and the tractor, so that if it gets near the car they can turn the head towards and the bum away from the car.