a livery yard which would you prefer?

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I would go for yard 1 partly because I would rather have a little turnout all year than 8 hours in summer then days when they can't go out at all in winter. Also my experience of livery on riding schools is that you have to work around lessons as that is their primary business.
This can particularly be a problem if you can only get up at a certain time after work and that is when they need the schools.

But I would keep looking, when I was looking 2 1/2 years ago, I ended up sacrificing location for the right yard and travelling 1 1/2 hours each way.

Then I came across my current yard which hadn't been an option before but now under new management was. So things change and yard with better turnout with reasonable facilities and accessible could exist.

Parker79

Visit site
I have been in your position (sort of). I ended up putting my girly in the New Forest as in the East side of Hampshire nobody gets any turn out in Winter - or the couple of hours every other day! I have a 50 min round trip now!

If you have absolutely exhausted all options then yard 1 - as a routine is better than the in one day and out the next. Are you able to make sure your boy gets lots of exercise? would you consider a sharer?

I agree with the people who suggested trying farms, also I assume you have checked the local tack shop boards if there are any?

How quickly do you need to move? I do feel for you, its so hard when you cannot find what you need for your horse

Gleeful Imp

Visit site
I would go for yard 1, then bx up and hire the tracks around yard 2!!!!!

If that isn't an option, it all depends what you want to do and how important hacking is.

Please don't get upset about it. I had mine at a half day turnout in summer yard for a year and they were very chilled and happy, they also had a walker. Just do your best and judge by how your horse feels. Good luck.

welshcobmad

Visit site
Neither due to turnout.

My boy is out 24/7 April to November & over winter out 7am until 5pm everyday just in overnight.

miss_wilson

Visit site
Personally both would worry me with their limited turnout as i like mine to be out as much as possible, especially summer when they live out!
However option 2 sounds the better choice!!

horse_rider

Visit site
I'd go for 1st, depending on your horse though?
mine would freak out with lots of children around, so a riding school would be a big no no for me, I also wouldn't like to have to fit my riding in around the schools lessons?

charlie76

Visit site
Horses do survive on limited turn out. The first yard sounds the better option as your horse will get out, even if just for a let stretch, all year round. In an ideal world we would all like to perfection but unfortunately some times we have to make do with what is on offer in the area
Also its about what's important to each individual. I compete my horses to a decent level, therefore, facilities such as an arena is just as important to me as turnout. I know my hires can have at least four hours out a day plus ridden exercise daily and they are more than happy. None have any vices, they are well mannered and pleasant to ride
. They are fed ad lib gay

charlie76

Visit site
Ha ha! * hay!* and are content in their routine. In the winter when the weather is very bad they may have the odd day in. They are turned loose in the school, sometimes in pairs to groom etc

Op - do not feel guilty about less than perfect turn out, as long as he gets out for a bit and is feed and worked accordingly I am sure he will do just fine.

Mike007

Visit site
Having had experience of a bad yard that looked wonderfull, I have become very cautious. My first requirement is that my horse is well cared for . For me , Good hay and plenty of it, clean water , safe turnout (even if lacking in grass). Staff who care and notice problems and who dont try to cover up and Bull ****.I am not particularly fussy as far as bedding goes ,but it must be deep enough to prevent injury.I love hacking and for me yard two sounds great ,but only if my horse were well cared for.

depurple1

Visit site
Yard 1 for me - they get out every day for a few hours at least, and my horse would be quite happy with this routine. I would school in the week and box to more hacking at weekends if I wanted a longer ride. Yes there are rules, but if they apply to everyone and are enforced then I have non problem with that.

I wouldn't touch yard 2 - turnout sounds hit and miss with no routine. Also having liveried once at a riding school I never would again. Not only could I never get into the school because of lessons, some of the kids did really stupid things around the horses. My horse was far, far happier away from that environment.

I am West of London, which is a similar situation with regards to turnout. However, I am on a small private yard which has all day, year round turnout. Word of mouth is the way to find these places though - mine doesn't really advertise as there are rarely any spaces, and you can't see it from the road.

Kenzo

Visit site
Turnout would be top priority as would safety when out hacking...if that is you like to hack out, some folk don't hack at all so ut wouldn't be an issue.

Therefore yard 2 would appeal more but I would certainly discuss your concerns that you've heard rumours about to them first so you can clear up any misunderstandings.

I guess your the only person who will know how your horse will cope or adjust to being stabled more, some horses seem fine where as it would be sheer cruelty to others.

With a yard of 25 liveries you need rules for the yard to operate and folk to rub along nicely so I wouldn't let that put you off.

If you are not sure then go and have a look around at them both again, you may be able to decide easier then.

One thing you can do is move, if you don't like yard a then give yard b a go, its about finding the right place for your horse at the end if the day, we can make sacrifices where a horse cant.

Good luck

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I would go for yard one. As a livery yard owner, I know that if people are telling you yard two are sometimes lax with adding supplements etc, then this will be the tip of the iceberg! I have heard of yards where water is not topped up, haylage is not given frequently enough and mucking out is very poor. Compared with these things, adding supplements is a very easy and not very time consuming thing to do, so goodness knows where else they will be slacking. Avoid!

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
Both yards sound unacceptable for different reasons, but such restricted turnout is a no go. The tidy yard sounds so anal that I'd wonder how messy horses fit into their neat freak plan.

I have been in a similar situation to you with lack of turnout and its so demoralising and tiring. I had 3 to exercise and was trying to give all three a total of 90 minutes - 2 hours exercise a day to compenstate, while scouring the area for better turnout.

I then decided that I had 2 choices; sell them to homes where they could have a better life or send them to a friend 100 miles away until I had found a better yard.

Fortunately, at that point, I found a yard with 24 hr turnout.

SO1

Visit site
I would say how set are on living where you live? Are you commuting into London and could you move house if you rent?

If you work in London there are other areas esp in Herts which offer daily turnout all year and are accessible by public transport. I commute into London and was luckily that as I rented I was able to move nearer to a decent yard.

I think Yard 1 is the best of not ideal situations. Though perhaps you need to find out about what would happen on yard 1 in extreme weather eg snow and what they define as winter, is just three months a year or could it stretch into 6 if the weather is bad?

Also how big are the paddocks, what sort of groups do they do out with etc. What kind of people will be handling your horse? RS often use helpers which is fine if they are competent and your horse is easy to handle if it is not then that might be more of an issue.

Is your horse easy to catch as if it is only going out for 4 hours then it might not want to come back in again so early in the summer. Is it easy to turn out again if turnout is restricted will it get excitable to ride or or when it does get turned.

What are the stables like? If your horse is going to be in a lot are they big, is the yard quiet or are there things for him to see? If you are going to be buying bedding/hay etc from the yard what is the quality of these, will they accomodate things like soaking hay should you need this or any extras should your horse get ill?

I think it depends a lot on your horse and what it can tolerate. Mine probably would not tolerate either but he would be more likely to cope with the 2nd yard where he had more turnout in the summer as that is when he would want to be out as much as possible - though he lives out 24/7 all year so not an issue for me.

Four white socks

Visit site
Yard 2. The turn out is adequate, (in my opinion) and you do have the option of the walker if you think necessary, the safe hacking is a big bonus.

stargirl88

Visit site
Yard 1. You have all summer then to explore the area and possibly find alternate arrangements or when winter comes. If you do stay there over winter at least you do get to turn out daily, rather than only 3 days a week.

shadowboy

Visit site
Having worked on the outskirts of London and lived in essex I am aware of the problems you mention. Turnout is rare in the south east. Land prices are at a premium so there are few fields out there! Also the soil type is poorly draining clay and actually even if a yard offered 24/7 turnout in winter I would be concerned about looking shoes and damaged tendons as its very sticky soil. In most countries round the world horses don't get daily turnout so they do survive quite happily.... as long as they are in a routine and have adequate forage and stretch legs daily at both ends of the day I'm sure the horse will be fine. If I. Had a horse that was happy in traffic I would go for yard one as having been on a riding school I found it difficult to use facilities and strangers would be stroking and messing with your horse over the door. Obviously you want more turnout but if your health does not allow you to drive I would not be doing a huge public transport commute every day as seeing your horse will become a chore and you won't have any time to spend with him. Move him to one of these yards in the short term, then once a better option comes up you can move on again. Also get a feel for the horses on those yard how chilled out and settled are they?

geegee21

New User
Visit site
Hi im new to this so couldnt work out how to start a new thread. But could someone please provide the contact details for the below yards. I cant find their telephone numbers anywhere. Looking for a good yard in stapleford abbotts.

Bower Farm (next to Havering Park Riding School)
The Water Tower
The yard near Hainault on the road down from collier row
The yard near the Pinewoods pub
The yard next to Orange Tree pub
Olde Brook Farm

Thanks

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Can't help you with the yards, but to post a new thread, click on New Lounge, and above the list of threads there is a blue button, a bit like the reply button, click that, think of a title, then type away...

Welcome to the forum!xx

DosyMare

Visit site
The first one would be my vote.

When I lived in Poplar East London I found Newham was very good but no turnout. When you live in London there is no turnout for horses if you want to keep them. But then I would send my horse on little weekend breaks on just grass liverly - holiday time.
My gelding then moved to full livery in Essex and to keep him ridden and petrol and full livery costs it was a fortune. I ended up selling him - biggest regret I made.

Dirtymare

Visit site
Niether for me either I'm afraid. Turnout is very important to me.
Could you not go into your nearest tack shop and ask in there if they know any good yards. In my experience they are a wealth of local knowledge.
Oh, and byt the way, the rule in yard 2 that states that liveries MUST have their own mug made me laugh. A kettle on my yard would be a luxury! :)
Good luck, hope you find somewhere suitable soon.

ghostie

Visit site
just seen this old thread got bumped so thought I'd update you - I finally found a new yard that offers 24/7 in the summer and 8 hours a day in the winter and am moving in four weeks - hurrah :)