A massive thank you to everyone at Oasby!

kirstyhen

mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk
No report yet, you'll have to wait for that ;) but I just wanted to say a huge thanks to everyone at Oasby today, organisers, volunteers and other competitors!

They had made such a huge effort to run today, moved the entire show jumping ring to another field overnight, taken fences out/moved fences around, etc etc.

Yes there was a lot of mud, but everyone was cheery and smiley and I had a lovely day! :D

I will be filling out a ERA feedback form very shortly!

debsflo

Visit site
Thats good. My son attends Kings school who provide the ccf boys to help with everything. They have camped out all weekend so nice to know people appreciate it.

Millie-Rose

Visit site
I ran yesterday and had a fantastic day I was completely expecting it to be abandoned so was thrilled to get a run. Everbody was very cheerful and although it was easily the worst conditions I've evented in the going was really very good considering and suitably studded never felt unsafe. To top it all off we came 6th in our section and got our first BE frilly which was my aim for the entire season shall need to set a new goal now:) So thanks to all involved from me too.

TarrSteps

Visit site
That is lovely to hear and well done on your manners. ;)

I got very frustrated by the number of people who got annoyed at the Tweseldown organisers this weekend, wanted their money back etc. I wonder how many people thanked them for soldiering on?

Glad to hear you had a VERY good day. ;)

Gamebird

Visit site
Ditto from me. The lorry park really was the worst bit (that and yesterday's SJ warm-up!). The bits where horses were expected to perform were surprisingly good.

I was sceptical when they said they'd moved the SJs last night, but they'd actually moved the whole ring to a totally different field. Blo0dy good effort! I really didn't hear anyone moaning, although it will be about Wednesday before I feel warm and dry again! It means a lot to get the early season prep runs in.

oldvic

Visit site
That is lovely to hear and well done on your manners. ;)

I got very frustrated by the number of people who got annoyed at the Tweseldown organisers this weekend, wanted their money back etc. I wonder how many people thanked them for soldiering on?

Glad to hear you had a VERY good day. ;)

I totally agree. Yes, the team at Oasby did a fantastic job to keep the show on the road in testing circumstances and there was a lovely atmosphere there yesterday but I also think
Team Tweseldown did just as well. They too moved what they could after a ghastly day on Friday and I believe it was the dressage arenas that were the worst to ride in and, while unpleasant, it was all perfectly safe. I think a big thank you is due to them as well. At least those that wanted to run could.

Gamebird

Visit site
as I am fairly sure we might be inundated with 'they should have abandoned' comments, so it would be really nice to balance them out properly!

I honestly doubt it K. The feeling on the ground was pretty much 100% positive.

meardsall_millie

Visit site
I honestly doubt it K. The feeling on the ground was pretty much 100% positive.

Agreed. I think the 'Dunkirk spirit' was most evident. I didn't hear a single word of complaint from anyone on Saturday (other than the fact it was freezing but not much that Stuart and Anna could do about that!).

A great effort from the whole team - and much appreciated by all.

Just one word about Tweseldown - many comments were from those who saw the pictures on social media (I was one who expressed surprise that it ran from how it looked on the pictures). I fully accept that you don't get the full story from a picture but there were also many descenting comments from those who were at the event, in addition to whole swathes of withdrawals.

In my (very humble) opinion, the Oasby situation was very different - yes the pictures looked a bit grim but as stated above, no-one who attended suggested that it shouldn't have run and there were very few withdrawals.

ETA: Have just seen your updated comment K. Accepted - but I stand by mine! ;)

langside

Visit site
Can't agree more been singing Oasby's praises on twitter (and it wasn't because we had a great day on paper either ;-) ) also made sure I filled out my ERA today - organisers deserve credit where credit is due!

oldvic

Visit site
Agreed. I think the 'Dunkirk spirit' was most evident. I didn't hear a single word of complaint from anyone on Saturday (other than the fact it was freezing but not much that Stuart and Anna could do about that!).

A great effort from the whole team - and much appreciated by all.

Just one word about Tweseldown - many comments were from those who saw the pictures on social media (I was one who expressed surprise that it ran from how it looked on the pictures). I fully accept that you don't get the full story from a picture but there were also many descenting comments from those who were at the event, in addition to whole swathes of withdrawals.

In my (very humble) opinion, the Oasby situation was very different - yes the pictures looked a bit grim but as stated above, no-one who attended suggested that it shouldn't have run and there were very few withdrawals.

ETA: Have just seen your updated comment K. Accepted - but I stand by mine! ;)

I don't see that there is any difference. It was a bit wetter at Tweseldown as there was so much rain on Friday but no less rideable. Just because there were more pictures of Tweseldown, doesn't mean it was worse. It was safe ground, just not perfect and there was no reason to draw stumps. Oasby didn't have much grass showing either and was hard work.

meardsall_millie

Visit site
I don't see that there is any difference. It was a bit wetter at Tweseldown as there was so much rain on Friday but no less rideable. Just because there were more pictures of Tweseldown, doesn't mean it was worse. It was safe ground, just not perfect and there was no reason to draw stumps. Oasby didn't have much grass showing either and was hard work.

I'm not descenting Oldvic.

As I said, I didn't attend Tweseldown so can't comment on the going however the attitude of competitors at each event would appear to tell a very different story - the number of withdrawals from each event varied massively.

Perhaps we're all a bit tougher up north?! ;)

Horsemad12

Visit site

As I said, I didn't attend Tweseldown so can't comment on the going however the attitude of competitors at each event would appear to tell a very different story - the number of withdrawals from each event varied massively.

I tend to agree that the number of withdrawals does tell a different story..........
(it goes without saying we are tougher up north ;-))

I would like to add to the thanks as both a rider (sat) and helper (sun) really looked after on both days.

Now please can the cold and wet go away so we can all moan about hard ground.......

skye_and_i

Visit site
I too will eco the comments about the kings school cadets. They are a pleasure to work alongside and the event would very much struggle to run at all if it wasn't for all their hard work. No task is too much trouble and they are credit to their school and their parents. I very much look forward to working with them again soon.
Last box was towed off before the scheduled time for last horse on xc, thankyou to competitors for coming forward early so we could get finished up early. We had a blizzard at around 6.30 that turned everything white which made a change from the brown!!!! Home now and bottle of red warming on the radiator!
Thankyou to all the volunteers and contractors for having that true british attitude of keep calm and carry on.

oldvic

Visit site

No but your comments are a bit harsh on the Tweseldown organisation who worked just as hard as Oasby's but maybe had less grateful riders! I also didn't go to Tweseldown but spoke to someone who ran 3 novices one of which was a 5 yr old at her 1st competition. He said that while it was the worst he had encountered at Tweseldown, it was fine and there was no reason not to start.
When riders are soaked through and start talking about whether to run or not, then there is a bit of a lemming effect! Also, yes, you may be tougher up north - but not all of you!!

Missypp

Visit site
Great effort by the bede team can't thank everyone enough friendly event.

We ran late Saturday which was likely to be the worst of the grounds conditions but it gave my horse a run which is what we went for.

Looking forward to belton, I'm just sorry I could volunteer and help this time.

meardsall_millie

Visit site
No but your comments are a bit harsh on the Tweseldown organisation who worked just as hard as Oasby's but maybe had less grateful riders! I also didn't go to Tweseldown but spoke to someone who ran 3 novices one of which was a 5 yr old at her 1st competition. He said that while it was the worst he had encountered at Tweseldown, it was fine and there was no reason not to start.
When riders are soaked through and start talking about whether to run or not, then there is a bit of a lemming effect! Also, yes, you may be tougher up north - but not all of you!!

Then I apologise I didn't intend for it to be a criticism of the organisers, and I'm sure they worked extremely hard to keep things running. At the end of the day it isn't even their responsibility to call the abandonment anyway!

As an interested onlooker browsing through the results it's difficult to draw any other conclusion when you see so many withdrawals!

I'm sure any non-toughies up north are those who have moved here from down south (or from warmer climes) ;);)