A mid-winter report (plus video!)

Lyle

Visit site
Seeing as it's a miserable day, I thought I'd write a report about our outing last weekend :)

Tali had the month of May loitering in the paddock, and when I started to bring him back into work, the yard owner decided to rip out the arena fence and put a new one in. While this was a very noble gesture, and the fence looks marvellous, hacking as sole preparation isn't really the ideal preparation for a dressage day! Being only at Prelim level though, I figured we could just wing it!

Sunday arrived and it was a lovely clear, warm(ish) day. Tali loaded and travelled well, and was appeased with a large haynet of Lucerne to wait out until his turn. After tarting him up, we ambled off to the warm-up, where he grew 6 inches and showed a few spectacular 180 spins! After a discussion on whether or not the canteen area and it's hordes of clapping people (they had started presentations) would actually eat him or not, we settled into some nice work. Worked in great, headed to the marshal to be told they were running 30 minutes late!

After walking in circles for an eternity, it was finally our turn. By this stage, Tali was a little over-cooked, and with all the distractions around (the venue is set in the middle of a suburban park..) he took one big breath and held it right up until the free walk. Still, not a bad test for 68.7% and 6th place, just a little stiff and tight. The second test commenced practically immediately after the first, as this poor judge had been waiting for the slow first ring. Straight in, and we did a much nicer test. Still a little stiff through his body, and transitions were a bit rough due to lack of concentration (he kept one eye on the horse-eating canteen area). So 69.8% for 4th place (on a count back for 3rd, only 1% behind 1st!) Very pleased with my little red horse! This time last year I hadn't even cantered him in an arena, and wouldn't have even got him to load onto the truck! I'm very pleased with his progress so far :) Over and out. Until next time!

Video of his second test, because I'm totally shameless
https://youtu.be/lphNjrWYGXU

talielthamedit.jpg