A minor injury is worth it if gets me out of the mud, says the homebred 🙃

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
My three, like many others, are fed up of the wet and the mud.

The younger mare is usually pretty good at dodging out of the way of the boss mare, but must have mistimed it this morning. Luckily no one has shoes on. Younger mare was thankfully not lame or even resting the injured leg, but that’s a fair sized flap of loose skin 😳.

IMG_3331.jpeg

The chiro vet (a fully qualified equine vet) was due here first thing anyway for a pre booked routine check of the wonky boss mare (who was looking smug and unrepentant). I asked chiro vet to have a quick peek at the injury, and she agreed that, while it looked fairly superficial, that it needed regular vet out to clean it up and thoroughly check it out.

Regular vet was here within a couple of hours, and wisely gave her sleepy juice so that the wound site be clipped, cleaned up and assessed.
IMG_3333.jpeg

IMG_3338.jpeg

It seems to be just superficial damage and skin loss. She’s on oral antibiotics and Danilon for a few days, and because of the dreadfully wet and muddy conditions she’s also to be kept in for a few days. I have to say that now she’s come round, she’s looking very smug about that.

meleeka

Visit site
Ouch! I bet that smarted a bit.

Mine had laminitis to avoid the mud 🙄 She’s only still here because she’s the best patient and would rather be in than out in the winter anyway. Box rest hasn’t bothered her one little bit (until the sun came out one day, then she tried to come over the door!)

Hopefully yours will be sufficiently healed in a few days and she enjoys the rest.

Annagain

Visit site
Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery.

Archie also thinks minor injuries are worth it to get through the gate more quickly - unfortunately the injury was to me. He tried to force his way through the gap between the hedge and the open gate which wasn't quite big enough and rammed my hand into the gate with his shoulder. My hand swelled so quickly I barely had time to get my wedding ring off but luckily I did as it kept swelling for hours.

Attachments

• IMG_6660.jpeg
    IMG_6660.jpeg
    1,003.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Thanks, all. Thankfully it’s looking good this morning.
Blimey, right over the bone - very good job no shoes were involved!
It was right on the money, wasn’t it 😳. So fortunate that it was superficial.

Ooh, a Blighty one!
Indeed.

She’s had a good night, and this morning I’ve walked her out in hand in the arena to keep her loosened up. The wound is clean and dry.

IMG_3352.jpeg

She’s happy to rest either hind leg.

We did have a certain amount of handbags last night when I went to apply more blue spray 😳. She was rather fed up at the prospect. I ended up doing a bit of trickery by picking out her feet as usual, and giving the wound a surreptitious spray when I had hold of her left hind to pick it out. So got the result.

She was happy for me to spray it this morning. She was formerly a teenagers’ eventer, but is now a retired pasture ornament.

The vet says that it is possible with these type of injuries that there could be the outside chance of a #, but after feeling it she thinks it to be most unlikely.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Update. It’s healing up nicely, the wound is clean and dry 🙂.

I’m now risking turning her out for a few hours a day. She’s still in for about 18 hours/day, rather than living out as normal.

When I bring her in I gently hose her hock clean, then later reapply the blue spray. While she was zonked out to treat the kick injury the vet also banded off a small nodular sarcoid on her belly. She’s currently unrugged so that the cross surcingles don’t aggravate the sarcoid removal site.

All 3 amenably sharing the small field shelter during a short but intense hail storm earlier today….😳. Play nicely, people 🤞.

IMG_0722.png