A new one on me, SPRINGBATTS!

s4sugar

Visit site
To answer the first question -a fool & his/her money are soon parted!

Basset rescues have had more than a few calls about these.

Nicnac

Visit site
It makes me smile. We have been cross breeding horses for years but don't, as far as I know, assign stupid names to the outcome.

Anyone for a Thoroughsian; or a Musblood; or a Welshmoor?!

Those puppies look, just, well, wrong.....

Would love a Shih tzu/Poodle cross - the look on people's faces when you tell them your dog is a Shihtpoo.... ;)

s4sugar

Visit site
What a load of tosh on the website but people belive the drivel. They claim to be "We are licenced with the local authority and 1 of only 2 kennels in Cambridgeshire that are actually licenced breeding kennels." when a very quick search finds 18.
A first cross basset x springer will invariably be smooth coated as the smooth gene is dominant over the longer coat.

ClobellsandBaubles

Visit site
It makes me smile. We have been cross breeding horses for years but don't, as far as I know, assign stupid names to the outcome.

Anyone for a Thoroughsian; or a Musblood; or a Welshmoor?!

Those puppies look, just, well, wrong.....

Would love a Shih tzu/Poodle cross - the look on people's faces when you tell them your dog is a Shihtpoo.... ;)

In the states they have quarabs and araapaloosas :p

fallenangel123

Visit site
There is a puppy farm near us that breeds them, un registered 'pedigrees' and a wide selection of whateverpoos as well. Currently on preloved they have about £14000 worth of puppies advertised!
Wonder if the taxman knows?

Superhot

Visit site
If the website is to be believed, this cross was carefully considered to reduce health issues in both breeds. Whilst I applaud their sentiments, the pups remain mongrels and perhaps careful breeding of the individual breeds could have reduced health problems anyway?

Clodagh

Visit site
Can you imagine the drive of the spaniel and the stubbornness of the bassett! (I assume thats what they are, haven't loooked at links, meant to be cooking!)

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
just googled and came up with this as had to find out what they were ;)

http://manorroyspringbatts.webs.com/previouspuppygallery.htm

my first question is why would you?

On the puppies for sale page, there's a litter with what looks like a black lab. Confused, but not as confused as the puppies!

If the website is to be believed, this cross was carefully considered to reduce health issues in both breeds. Whilst I applaud their sentiments, the pups remain mongrels and perhaps careful breeding of the individual breeds could have reduced health problems anyway?

What health problems? And exactly, health test the pedigrees and you're more likely to get a healthy litter. What's the betting the parents aren't properly health tested?

Jhanami

Visit site
I happen to own (and dearly love) a Manorroy Springbatt - and am happy to answer any queries :)
I've always prefered mongrels on account of them being often more healthy (in body and mind) than many overbred pure breeds, but always loved the look of Bassetts. Springbatts make a perfect mix - they look quite bassetty (albeit not to the extreme), but have a bit more springer-y brains and none or few of the famous Bassett health problems.
They are family friendly, cuddly and quite tenacious little walkers - no idea why some people on here seem to be offended by the name, call them Springer-Bassett-Cross if it makes you happier.
They are, however, not a designer/fashion fad but an honest (and successful) attempt to breed healthy, happy, gorgeous hounds.
If you dont like that, go and cry in the corner! ;)

Btw, I'm not the breeder, just a happy customer!

Dobiegirl

Visit site
I happen to own (and dearly love) a Manorroy Springbatt - and am happy to answer any queries :)
I've always prefered mongrels on account of them being often more healthy (in body and mind) than many overbred pure breeds, but always loved the look of Bassetts. Springbatts make a perfect mix - they look quite bassetty (albeit not to the extreme), but have a bit more springer-y brains and none or few of the famous Bassett health problems.
They are family friendly, cuddly and quite tenacious little walkers - no idea why some people on here seem to be offended by the name, call them Springer-Bassett-Cross if it makes you happier.
They are, however, not a designer/fashion fad but an honest (and successful) attempt to breed healthy, happy, gorgeous hounds.

But the parents are not health tested, the pups are being sold with endorsements which though commendable the cynical me says they want to limit the numbers so they get all the customers.

Jhanami

Visit site
On the puppies for sale page, there's a litter with what looks like a black lab. Confused, but not as confused as the puppies!

What health problems? And exactly, health test the pedigrees and you're more likely to get a healthy litter. What's the betting the parents aren't properly health tested?

1. That's the owners own dog - he babysits the puppies when they venture first outside, whenever the mum's resting :)

2. Huh? Why would you assume that? The parents are perfectly healthy and of course they are tested. I know there's a lot of rogue breeders out there, and cutsie/daft names can be an indication of dubious breeding standards and stupid fashion fad buyers but it's not the case in this case. Honestly, go and have a look at those dogs, you'll probably end up on the waiting list for the next litter :)

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
You might want to inform the breeders, that if the breeding animals are health tested, the health tests should be recorded on the website, it normally goes, dog's name, hip scores, elbow scores, etc, under the picture of the breeding animals. Good breeders shout good health results from the rooftops :)

If I don't see health tests on a website, I just close the website, purebred, crossbred, whatever, I'm not interested and I wouldn't direct anyone towards that breeder.

Jhanami

Visit site
But the parents are not health tested, the pups are being sold with endorsements which though commendable the cynical me says they want to limit the numbers so they get all the customers.

Sure they want to limit the numbers and get all the customers, it's their life and liveliness and a lot of effort, time and money goes into breeding dogs if you do it right - a side effect is that it keeps puppy farms and bedroom breeders who are after a quick coin out of the market, in my books that can only be good.

A lot of us batt owners know each other and stay in touch, so we're quite well informed how all the litters are doing, how they grow up and develop and so far there haven't been any negative stories (apart from sock stealing, rabbit chasing and toilet paper eating, but I'd say that's not just a batt thing ;)

s4sugar

Visit site

No they are not a " honest (and successful) attempt to breed healthy, happy, gorgeous hounds" they are a puppy farmed product to sell to people too stupid to do proper research or support responsible breeding. Their success is the money they make from suckers.

Did you not consider a Basset Artiesian Norman or a pack Basset? Do you know what health problems are common to ESS & Bassets? (Especially to the poorly bred, untested ones uesed for crossing?)

Many Bassets have more brains than some springers. Have you seen the odd pup they advertise with deformed front legs?
I don't cry in the corner -I assist breed rescues and have to turn away a lot of these crosses that get sold with no back up. They don't endorse the unregistered pups & the dallies & labs are not breeding quality either. No health tests, high volume breeder breeding purely for the pet market = puppy farmer.

Last edited:

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
If I wanted to move away from the 'overbred purebred breeds' I wouldn't be starting the line with a breed with grossly exaggerated features, nor liaising with a breeder who is churning out such a large number of pups. Including those of 'overbred purebred breeds' (I note they also breed labradors and dalmatians, in such numbers that they have to be council licensed). To be fair the two retired/deceased labrador stud dogs have hip scores and eye tests mentioned, though no mention of anything for the existing dogs.

It all seems a bit pointless and however nice their facilities appear to be there's no reason for anyone to be producing litter after litter except for £££.

Jhanami

Visit site
Wow. s4sugar - thanks for calling me stupid. Makes me really want to engage with you and your opinions. But since you apparently know everything there is to know about my dog, the puppy farm he comes from and the exact state of health of all his deformed-legged siblings, there isn't much point anyway, is there.

Blackcob, following the new litters along I didn't think they have that many - it's their business after all, and their full-time job, and their only income, but it's fair enough to question any breeder and their methods and so we all should. That's why checking any breeder personally, with your own eyes and making up your own opinion before buying a pups seems to me to be the way forward - rather than some people's arrogant "I've seen it all and know everything best" attitude.

I love my dog (he's 2 years now), he's a member of our family, and he's certainly neither a waste of money nor space. I didn't post to try and convert anybody, just wanted to show the other side of the argument pro cross breeds - from someone who actually knows the breeder and owns a dog from there rather than just judging based on a website (they are btw not professional website developers, I don't think that makes them bad people though).
I've tried to be quite factual and polite about it and would appreciate some reciprocity.
"Go and cry in a corner" was meant as a joke btw (as the emoticon might have indicated for most). Jeez, one would think I'm planning to assasinate the Queen rather than defending my little hound. Would love to post a picture for you, but don't know how to attach one.

galaxy

Visit site
J - cross breeds are not healthier than reponsibly bred pure bred pups from health tested parents. "hybrid vigour" is a total myth.

If the web sighted stated (or you if you know) what health tests the parents have then people would not have such an issue for them. Hve the parents had their eyes tested (not just looked at by a vet) and what are the hip and elbow scores. Without these tests the dogs should not be bred from (and people on here feel the same way for people breeding pedigrees from untested parents)

s4sugar

Visit site
I have seen quite a few of these crosses -usually when the people get something they don't expect and come to experienced Basset people for help. They get conned by the best of both spiel and end up with all the characteristics they don't want.

They are only bred for money, not for any desire to promote or improve a breed. I did not see any facts in your post - only that you got lucky & didn't get queen anne legs, selective deafness and entropion or ectropion (which both breeds can have). A bit early yet for Glaucoma.
If you are stupid enough to hand over money rather than getting a mutt from a rescue or paying someone who has put effort & money into good breeding practices then that is your choice. Stupid is as stupid does.

The website is poor - not because they are not website designers but because it shows enough to con the inexperienced puppy buyer but leaves off the information that a dog savvy buyer would want. Therefore all of the buyers will be equally inexperienced which is why they get on together.

There is no reason to breed from dogs without breed appropriate health clearances.

Toffee44

Visit site
Blackcob, following the new litters along I didn't think they have that many - it's their business after all, and their full-time job, and their only income, but it's fair enough to question any breeder and their methods and so we all should.

I don't know any breeder who breeds full time. Dog breeding is not about the money it's about improving lines and dogs hence why health testing is crucial.

If this is their full time job they must be churning out many pups to support them therefore puppy farm/ BYB.

Give it a whole and we will see a few in local rescues when things become apparent. Based on no evidence my initial worry would be springer type behaviour on those basset bodies as with unknown hip scores hips won't support being constantly on a heavy bodied dog.