A New One On Me

Tia

Visit site
Anyone have any ideas? An Arab at my yard has developed a weird condition. It is only her who has it. On her coronary band she has developed small circular indents about the size of a petit pois. She has these on all four coronary bands and they are spaced about 1cm apart. They almost look like cigarette burns (obviously aren't). The coronary bands can be rubbed and the skin falls off.

Initially I thought it was just a weird variation of coronitis or mud fever, but now I am not so sure. She has had these indents for a couple of weeks now and no mud fever although the bulb of her heel is starting to look a bit shaky and soft.

I ran a search on the Internet to see if I could find out what it was as I have never seen anything like this before....anyway I stopped as I found something which did concern me and it is a rare condition which tends to affect Arabs. I didn't mention anything about my findings to the owner as I don't want to scare him; particularly as this is just speculation. I am going to phone the vet later and ask him what he thinks it could be but was hoping to hang off until my new foal comes on Thursday as I expect he will need vaccinating so will do a vet-share with owner of Arab.

Anyone seen this before? Horse is in fine condition otherwise and has never looked better. She lives out 24/7, fields are dry but we had had quite a lot of rain over the past few weeks. Ground remains mud-free here but there has still been a lot of water passing over it. She has her feet attended to almost every day and owner is incredibly diligent with every aspect of caring for this little horse.

Thank you.

Tufty

Visit site
are you thinking coronitis ! this is very rare and the legs usually become puffy and the hoof is very flakey. only ever seen it once and thought they had invented the name !

Tia

Visit site
It's definitely not normal coronitis. I've dealt with coronitis quite a number of times but never seen it behave in this manner before.

I just spoke to the vet a couple of minutes ago and he is totally flummoxed and has never heard of anything like this either so he is coming out to take a look and may perform some tests depending on his thoughts.

Enfys

Visit site
Not pemphegus (sp) I hope? A type of coronitis if I remember correctly, had an arab at a racing yard with it many years ago, not a pleasant condition.
Am off to google it now.

Tia

Visit site
I'm really hoping it isn't pemphigus..........
confused.gif

There are too many similarities that it is making me a bit nervous - so I called the vet and asked him to come out. Probably isn't pemphigus but as I say it's just a little too close to call.

Fairynuff

Visit site
Selenium overdose? Parts of America has naturaly high selenium in the soil therefore the grazing. Too much causes sloughing of the hooves from the coronet. Sincerely hope its not . A blood test will tell. Mairi.

suebingham

Visit site
Iv'e never heard anything quite like you are describing either. For what it's worth, chronic selenium toxicity issues are probably more common here in the west than in the eastern states/provinces. And what little that i've read/heard about it sounds like it manifests herd-wide rather than in individuals whose herd-mates remain unaffected.
Hope it turns out to be something benign.

Tia

Visit site
Well I put the horse inside overnight for the past 2 nights - slapped Protocon on it and now the coronet bands are completely back to normal.
crazy.gif