"A new puppy wrecked my health, home and happiness"

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I'm not going to post a Daily Mail link, but look up the above headline and let me know what you think ;)

Ah, the joys of being instantly able to go and just buy a dog, because you can...

Blazingsaddles

Visit site
I read the synopsis & decided not to read the rest. I woke up with a headache & was concerned reading this article could lead to an aneurysm. 🤬

Goldenstar

Visit site
Tbh she was green and naive and did the right thing when she realised she had made a huge mistake .
Puppies are very very hard work but when you have the dog thing it’s just the best time an investment in the huge adventure you and dog are going to have together.

Clodagh

Visit site
I can't read the article til I get home but having been up since 5am with a puppy she has my sympathies.😃

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
Tbh she was green and naive and did the right thing when she realised she had made a huge mistake .
Puppies are very very hard work but when you have the dog thing it’s just the best time an investment in the huge adventure you and dog are going to have together.

You're absolutely correct.... She did do the right thing, though I wonder if she'd had any prior knowledge of dogs, or had even sought any.

Can someone tell me what a 'Bodycon dress' is?.... Support panels?

TGM

Visit site
Should be required reading for all potential puppy owners! I often hear people say "it's OK my family had dogs when I was a kid". Puppies are a whole different ball game to adult dogs. People think they are going to get a delightful cuddly ball of fluff and instead find they have a piranha with needle-sharp teeth, that needs constant attention if it isn't to pee and poo all over the house and cries when left alone.

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
Terrible. But at least she had the sense to give the puppy up and not continue keeping it like so many cast off horse and ponies that you see littering the countryside, totally ignored, with ignorant owners unaware of basic needs. She should have addressed whether she could still 'go away for the weekend' before getting a puppy and should have made allowances for it needing to go out in the night, etc. TBH I think she molly coddled it a bit too much, up all night with it, having panic attacks, etc.

Last edited:

Fellewell

Visit site
I have to say in all my years of dog ownership, I have never stood outside at 3am like Wee Willie Winkie merrily shouting 'busy!' at some hapless pup. Dogs are by nature nocturnal hunters. We harnessed this by using them to guard livestock at night and a young pup is still obeying his natural instincts by being active at night. Sure, they adapt to our lifestyles by figuring out that we sleep at night and they oblige by doing the same, eventually. But introducing a youngster to a heady cocktail of scents and sounds outside at night is not going to settle him. I have an industrial sized drip tray filled with litter which is in the scullery by the backdoor. It's used for youngsters or even adult canine guests who can lose their proverbial on moving house. It's never failed and eventually gets moved outside when the time is right.

paddy555

Visit site
It was a good article in that, in a national newspaper, unsuspecting people who want to do the same will hopefully read it and it may make some think again. It was a shame as she set herself up for failure and the OH/boyfriend sounded to be a waste of space and none of the rest of the family seemed to step in and support her.

paddy555

Visit site
My neighbours are well used to me bimbling about the garden in my dressing gown last thing at night, starting off with encouraging notes of 'busy busy', then on to a more urgent 'pee-pees' and then hissing 'FFS will you do a bloody poo!!' or 'GO AND EMPTY' depending on the dog :p

that sounds too much like hard work :) we got bored with nocturnal ramblings so we shut the dog in the porch and cut a cat flap in the door so he could choose to go out. If he asks to go out in the night we shut him in the porch for a while whilst we sit in bed with a cup of coffee. It's much warmer that way. :D

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
I've had two puppies now and I'm afraid their first night they were in the downstairs kitchen with an alarm clock ticking under the blanket and the radio on quietly. They soon adjust. Maybe I am just too hard. I wouldn't be petting them and talking to them and worrying that they won't settle. Most puppies and kittens are so exhausted after their escapades during the day they soon fall asleep anyway.

littlefluffball

Visit site
My partners puppy is making me feel like this right now lol! I had just gotten so used to my lazy sighthounds and then along came the huntaway pup! She is bloomin' nuts......but I wouldn't change her (for the most part anyway) ;)

HEM

Visit site
Oh the false fairy tail of puppy ownership :rolleyes: Some people are so naive and selfish. Hope the dog is now in a lovely home.

PS- I never seem to have an issue with mine using the loo at 10pm we just can't get him back in :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Clodagh

Visit site
A JRT x poodle was never going to be the easiest pup, her family sound like a complete bunch of arsewipes and it was, no doubt, exaggerated a lot.
If it puts one family off getting a puppy it has done well.
They are bloody hard work and this morning I met the local ironman out training as I stood on our drive in dressing gown, jim jams, wellies and wooly hat (was cold) looking like Abu Hanza. Local iron man is gorgeous. Puppy has lost me any future chance. (Snort!).

wren123

Visit site
She was naive and silly but at least she did the right thing in returning the puppy to the breeder rather than selling it on preloved or similar.
Its a shame because with the right puppy or older rescue she might have been fine.