A novice rider should buy a horse they can 'grow into' ???

Emmie&Max

Visit site
I heard somebody saying the above today...so apparently a novice rider should buy a horse they can grow into rather than a plod along dope on a rope that they will get bored with in afew month...has anybody ever heard this before? Does anybody agree?

EffyCorsten

Visit site
Hmmm well I do think a trickier or forward going horse will teach you a lot more than a plod along but I can't say I'd recommend people go about it that way.

luckyoldme

Visit site
I heard somebody saying the above today...so apparently a novice rider should buy a horse they can grow into rather than a plod along dope on a rope that they will get bored with in afew month...has anybody ever heard this before? Does anybody agree?

I would say i easily fall into the novice category. Im not really the least bit bothered what anyone else thinks i should spend my own money on.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
IMO it all depends on the level of support they have. I have known it be incredibly successful, and also terrible. If the owner has support, money (!), and is willing to listen to the above it can be great. Nothing wrong with buying a dope though, but if the person has ambitions it can mean that the horse needs selling again.

I guess that is a very personal thing, what is right for one person will not suit another.....

horsemad32

Visit site
A novice rider does need a horse they can grow into, but not a speedy horse that's too much for them. There are horses (I know two at least), who will adapt to their rider - being slow and steady for a novice, then gradually upping the game as their rider becomes more confident. For an experienced rider they'll compete to good RC level, being keen and demanding good riding or they'll throw in the odd buck etc. For a novice, they toddle along gently, until the rider is ready for the next level, where they will start to require more control of speed and so on. These horses aren't ten a penny, and are usually over 10 years old, but are the perfect first horse.

soulfull

Visit site
Echo ^^^
But as said not easy to find.

The other thing a novice doesn't want/need is a horse that they have to keep kicking to keep it going. This upsets the riders balance and position too much.

The right horse for a novice is hard to find. I've known very few perfect novice horses. They are either 'too much horse' or too lazy

Then if course there's the very well schooled but just a little too sensitive to cope with a novice (my Fi ).

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Only a novice thinks they need a horse more advanced than they are. An experienced rider can bring out the best and enjoy any type of horse.

Polos Mum

Visit site
IMO a true novice shouldn't buy a horse.

This is certainly true, getting going with a share (or similar) is a great route, IMHO by the time someone buys one (so riding 5/6 days a week and responsible for them 365 days a year) then they should know what they want to do and buy a horse to suit - if they enjoy happy hacking and have busy roads then a 'dope on a rope' might be invaluable to them forever, equally if they;ve got the competition bug the something capable of doing that is what they need.

Everyone needs a little 'growing into'/ getting to know a new horse - very few of us can hop on any horse and get a really good tune out of them - most of us have to spend time finding where the right buttons are!

Emmie&Max

Visit site
I would say i easily fall into the novice category. Im not really the least bit bothered what anyone else thinks i should spend my own money on.

I don't know if you meant your comment how I have read it or not. I'm not saying either way what anyone should do, circumstances are different and 'novice' can mean afew different things. I was simply asking what other opinions were in this as I've never heard it before.

Emmie&Max

Visit site
IMO it all depends on the level of support they have. I have known it be incredibly successful, and also terrible. If the owner has support, money (!), and is willing to listen to the above it can be great. Nothing wrong with buying a dope though, but if the person has ambitions it can mean that the horse needs selling again.

I guess that is a very personal thing, what is right for one person will not suit another.....

I totally agree with this.

oldie48

Visit site
Well this question just brings us back to the thorny old question of "what's a novice?" I'm not a rider who can bring out the best in any horse I ride, so according to dogatemysalad, I'm a novice. Have I bought horses that are more advanced than me, Yes, every time and they have taught me so much. That saying, I've often felt out of my comfort zone in the early months but been prepared to get help when I've needed it I don't think I'd have learned much from the "dope on a rope" but I've always been very honest about my riding ability and experience and tried to buy wisely ie no youngsters! Buying the right horse is tricky and we can all make a mistake, the important thing is to know when you are clearly out of your depth and move the horse to a more suitable home.

Antw23uk

Visit site
I class myself as a confident novice and brought a 7 yr old ex racer (not fresh from the track I might add but he hasn't done much at all) and yes at times I have felt like I've over horsed myself but Im incredibly lucky in that he has a fantastic temperament, he knows Im a bit of a ditz and he looked after me well in the early days and as we have grown together over the last ten months he has stepped up his game as have I. There is a chance I will over take him ambition wise but for now we are both learning and having a blast whilst we do it together and if we ever do part company I will be very proud to say he is 'potentially' suitable for a confident novice rider to take on.

I think there is a massive difference between a nervous novice and a confident novice. I know people who ride better than me but wouldn't get on my horse!

luckyoldme

Visit site
I bought my first horse five years ago. I stuggled with him and the only advuce i got was get rid. I made appointments with instructors who failed to turn up and lost count of the amount of experts who could sort him out in five minutes ( but they didnt have five minutes) i removed both him and myself from the prescence of all these people who all seemed to be fantastic riders according to their own mouths. Ive still got the horse and he is now just what i wanted . All entirely down to me myself. I dont think anyone can predict how someone will manage a horse..its not all fancy lessons and schooling... a lot of it is common sense. The other thing ive noticed is that there are plenty people to tell you to get rid or how you have overhorsed yourself.... not many have the time of day to tell you what a good job you ve done when it all comes right.

Emmie&Max

Visit site
I bought my first horse five years ago. I stuggled with him and the only advuce i got was get rid. I made appointments with instructors who failed to turn up and lost count of the amount of experts who could sort him out in five minutes ( but they didnt have five minutes) i removed both him and myself from the prescence of all these people who all seemed to be fantastic riders according to their own mouths. Ive still got the horse and he is now just what i wanted . All entirely down to me myself. I dont think anyone can predict how someone will manage a horse..its not all fancy lessons and schooling... a lot of it is common sense. The other thing ive noticed is that there are plenty people to tell you to get rid or how you have overhorsed yourself.... not many have the time of day to tell you what a good job you ve done when it all comes right.

I've seen this before. Good on you for sticking with it and making it work.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I sold a horse to a proper novice the horse was six really comfy at intro and ready to do more ,working well at elementary had the half pass nicely in place she was great in traffic super to hack and was experienced hunting .
The buyer had great support on a very good yard and no shortage of money to spend learning , the horse was a great success took the rider to her first BEs and she did loads of things with her , she's with them still and has two foals by a smart event stallion .
It that case it was a great thing for both of them .

Emmie&Max

Visit site
I sold a horse to a proper novice the horse was six really comfy at intro and ready to do more ,working well at elementary had the half pass nicely in place she was great in traffic super to hack and was experienced hunting .
The buyer had great support on a very good yard and no shortage of money to spend learning , the horse was a great success took the rider to her first BEs and she did loads of things with her , she's with them still and has two foals by a smart event stallion .

Ah, I love success stories! :)

luckyoldme

Visit site
I've seen this before. Good on you for sticking with it and making it work.

Thankyou i suppose ive still got a bee in my bonnet. My horse is getting on now but he has a home for life. Im half tempted to buy another devil horse but then again im not in any rush to ride a monster again i can take all the time i need on the ground first!

Elsbells

Visit site

That's my story too luckyoldme! Me and my girl have been together for 6 years next month, she's taught me so much but would I advise any novice to do it again?...

lme

Visit site
As goldenstar said above, it comes down to support. I was very much a novice when I bought an unbacked 4yo TB x but I put her on very good yards, got us both a lot of training and still have her 28 years later.

My 17yo, who had never jumped a course bigger than 1m, bought a green 5yo 16.3 SJ bred WB mare direct from a stud because she wanted something that she could grow into. So far it has worked out really well, but only because she has access to really good training and enough stickability not to be worried by 'baby moments'.

Simbacat

Visit site
My horse was definitely beyond my ability and understanding - so sensitive in the mouth, but also so fast and hot, and I'm an older first time owner. There have been many times I said I was going to sell her and I just couldn't cope, and she's had me off 4 times. But now she's (nearly) a perfect trail horse, no more flipping 180, jumping at every leaf of making me feel I'm riding a bomb. Lots of people helped and I think its helped my courage in all parts of my life. In the end she has done something that all the lessons I had never really achieved, she has taught me to ride. I love her, she is my forever horse.

Emmie&Max

Visit site
My horse was definitely beyond my ability and understanding - so sensitive in the mouth, but also so fast and hot, and I'm an older first time owner. There have been many times I said I was going to sell her and I just couldn't cope, and she's had me off 4 times. But now she's (nearly) a perfect trail horse, no more flipping 180, jumping at every leaf of making me feel I'm riding a bomb. Lots of people helped and I think its helped my courage in all parts of my life. In the end she has done something that all the lessons I had never really achieved, she has taught me to ride. I love her, she is my forever horse.

Aw! That's lovely! :)

RainbowDash

Visit site
With the right support, lessons etc and a confident novice it can work - having seen it at my old yard (shes doing local comps and having great time). In my experience being a confident novice and just wanting to hack I brought an older pony suitable for me - a change in circumstances made me put him out on full loan to a lovely home to do the same job - but as a bonus he's giving confidence to my loaners daughter. X

Lunchbox legend

Visit site
IMO a true novice shouldn't buy a horse.

I'm a novice (only been riding about 18 months of the last 2 years) and I can't imagine buying a horse of my own even though I'm a confident rider. I share a lovely gent who's so easy to do and ride (most of the time) but I think I'd probably be a bit overwhelmed dealing with and understanding everything he needs if I was on my own with him. I don't just mean the riding but also his health and nutrition and tack etc.

My concern would be for the welfare of the horse, so if someone had super duper support in terms of advice, practical help etc. on hand then that would be a different story.

I'm also thinking that people may have completely different definitions of 'novice' and could well be having 2 different conversations when they're talking to each other without realising it. How do you know when you're not a novice any more?

showpony

Visit site
This is so true! I rode for a very long time and ended up giving up due to a bad accident. Bought my 4 yr old but did it under guidance of my instructor who knew I was in it for the long hall! Not ashamed to admit that there has been blood sweat and tears! There has been aswell multiple losses of confidence! Roll on no.2 who was meant to be a schoolmaster, but is spooky and sharp and proved to me what a gem of a mare I have! We have come on leaps and strides( correct ones lol) last couple mths and all the hard work etc has been totally worth it! We are hacking for 2 hrs now and doing a fab sj show in couple of weeks:)
With the right support, lessons etc and a confident novice it can work - having seen it at my old yard (shes doing local comps and having great time). In my experience being a confident novice and just wanting to hack I brought an older pony suitable for me - a change in circumstances made me put him out on full loan to a lovely home to do the same job - but as a bonus he's giving confidence to my loaners daughter. X

Last edited:

oldie48

Visit site
I don't suppose you have another for sale????

TrasaM

Visit site
How do you know what you are capable of dealing with if you never have to confront problems and your own inadequacies. If the horses temperament is good and they are happy to accommodate a novice rider then with time, support and lessons they will grow together. Sadly I've also seen far to many beginner riders buy their own horse and then lose confidence because they can't cope.