A novice's experiences of buying a horse, an ongoing report...

Firewell

Visit site
I would be REALLY wary of the horse with no passport. It probably does have a passport, they just don't want you to see it. (Horse might be a different age, breed, they might not want you to trace its past). The reason I say this is because that is how I was caught out. Apparently owner had 'lost' the horses passport so they didn't have it and had to apply for a new one and they gave me that one. Probably didn't want me finding out that the horse wasn't an ISH, was lame and had been passed from pillar to post.
Its now.something I am very wary of and when I got my current boy I was very happy to be given his original passport with all his birth and previous owner details in :).
Also a new passport means no vaccination record as well.

dieseldog

Visit site
It should have a microchip as Ireland has been chipping them for years - even if the passport has gone missing - so the new owners can get a replacement one quite easily - unless they don't want to for some reason.

vallin

Visit site
Horse is microchipped and has applied for passport, freely admits horse hasn't been vaccinated etc so not too worried about that side of things. Was supposed to be going to see a mare I really liked the sound of today but she has been sold already ( :( ) so might go and see this one instead. Hmmm.

mystiandsunny

Visit site
I would always be wary of a horse who behaved very differently under saddle, to how it behaved in-hand. You should see the same temperament, regardless of level of schooling. If they're very different under saddle, in my experience so far, there's an issue there. When viewing, I'm always interested in the temperament of the horse beyond all else. Schooling can be improved, temperament is the key to everything.

vallin

Visit site
UPDATE!
Horse 5 - 15.3, ISH, mare, over from Ireland about 6 weeks ago. The original plan had been to go and see a grey SF mare I really liked the look of, but she was sold the day before my viewing :( so I decided to go and see the passport-less mare on the off chance that she was the one. Step 1 revealed a fairly happy, if rather scabby and poor horse, who might have just been 15.3 at the wither, but was very 'small'. I watched her walk and trot up and, although she appeared sound, was dramatically underwhelmed by first impressions of her paces. Rider got on (which looked rather amusing as he was a fairly broad and tall bloke on and fairly small and fine horse :p ) and did some walk, trot, canter and then popped her over a couple of jumps. First ridden impressions were that she knew 'stop' and 'go' but anything in between was a bit wooly, and although she had fairly good front leg technique in her jump, she was lazy with her back end. However she looked sane and seemed to had a good attitude so I hoped on. My impressions had been correct, the walk was Ok, the canter nice if very a fasts and lacking in steering, the trot, well, I know if you are going to have a weak pace then trot is the one to go for, but it was like sitting on a sewing machine! All knee action with zero forward movement, interesting. I popper her over a cross pole and then a double of verticles and she ate them up, no problem. The seller then suggested I took her for a hack up the road so I did, bless her, the heavens opened and out came ball-bearing sized chunks of hail, and she didn't bat an eye! Got back, untacked and told the seller I'd be in touch this week.

Overall impressions were that she was very sweet but could I work with the very pony like trot? I watched some video recording the long-suffering OH had taken, and my, I actually looked big on something! (At 5'6" at a push, that doesn't happen often ;) ) My riding didn't look as bad as it had felt so I thought I'd send them to A to get her thoughts on the matter. After speaking to her we both agreed that if I was looking for a year long project to sell on then she'd be absolutely perfect and would not doubt get round a PN ODE , but in terms of a horse for life she probably wasn't the one :( so if anyone is after a project horse and feels like haggling on the price, get in touch as she is lovely, just not the long-term horse for me!

(Will add a picture to brighten it up when I'm not on my iPad as can't work out how to do it on here!)

Last edited:

vallin

Visit site
EXCITING UPDATE!

For those that are not fans of reading, long story short I have had an offer accepted on horse number 4 subject to vetting :D Long story...

Horse 3, part 2: After leaving horse 4 on first viewing it had been arranged that I'd try him at Milton the following week however he pulled a shoe and bruised his sole so that was put on hold. Fast forward a week and we arranged to meet at Houghton Hall so I could see what he was like in a novel environment and try him over a few more fences. Having never been to Manor/Houghton I have to say I was impressed, it really is a fantastic facility to have on the door stop, surfaces, and pretty much everything, were immaculate. After managing to get lost twice in the 10 minute journey between Houghton and school I eventually met up with horse 4 and owner at Houghton and watched him unload and then helped tack him up. He was a bit lit up, but stood nicely whilst we chatted and faffed. Seller asked whether I wanted to see him ridden first but I decided that I needed to put my brave pants on and just get on with it so we walked round the the indoor and I hoped on. The dressage boards were up in the indoor with someone using them so I decided the outdoor would be best - not quite ready to cope with navigating a new horse and other horses ;) Now, I will freely admit a rode like an absolute tool for the first 10 minutes and we got into a bit of 'me tense - him tense' cycle but I finally gave myself a kick up the back side and started to breath. In my head I gave myself a 20 x 40 area of the outdoor to work in, just asking for some circles/serpentine/transitions to get him thinking and listening to me rather than all the things around us. After another 10 minute of reasonably nice work I asked the seller if she would mind taking some video for me and she kindly obliged (well got her OH to any way, he seemed like a gem ;) ). Naturally I then got tense again, but managed to not let it get too horrendous. After a while I was happy enough to pop over a few jumps, a little cross pole, a vertical, a double and then a double to a vertical, and despite the affore mentioned riding like a pleb he popped sweetly over everything.

I decided to call it a day and that point and walked him back to the box and untacked etc. Seller asked me what I thought and I could quite honestly say, he did absolutely nothing wrong but I needed to decide if he was going to be the horse for me (not exactly fitting the original brief ;) ). I thought about it myself on Thursday night, leading to a rubbish nights sleep (people at work asked me if I was worried about having to teach my horrid year 11s, but I assured them, it was something far more important than 60 year 11s GCSE results ;) ) and then sent the videos over to A for her opinion on Friday. After seeing the videos A said she still liked him and thought that, although it would certainly be a learning curve, it would do my riding the world of good. Still unsure I went down to the yard on Friday night and one of the girls suggested I ride her thoroughbred to see if it helped convince me that I'd be happy with one. I was a bit skeptical that it would make a difference but oddly enough I got of her horse and had decided! Yes, he wasn't any where near the original brief, but he has a fantastic attitude, moves nicely, and seems to have a genuine love of jumping - he would do :) Fast forward to today and my offer has been accepted and he will be coming home in the next couple of weeks subject to vetting :D

So lots of things to do before he arrives as unfortunately, being rather pint sized, he wont fit in any of French's stuff, but I am cautiously excited for his arrival :D Some pictures to brighten up the post...

Frenchie
1909368_10200937837043011_77925763_o.jpg

Friend's tb (I'm not that fat, I promise!)
10149966_10153970549685176_1134347905_n.jpg

(hopefully) Horse 3
10149990_10200955299759568_354000813_n.jpg

10153540_10200955299719567_98722259_n.jpg

Last edited:

Befney3

Visit site
I usually only lurk here but have just read your update & felt I had to post.

I've been following this post with interest as I'm currently horseless myself & will be looking to buy a new horse in a few months. When you posted about horse 3 I thought he sounded lovely as I'm a big TB fan & have been waiting to see what you ended up with. It sounds like you've made a good descision & thought it through well.

The reason I had to post though is the second picture in your post, that's my boy! I've seen your previous pictures & thought the yard looked similar to the one he now lives on but it's actually the same yard. I hope you don't mind me saying hi but it's so nice to know he might of helped your decision to go for a TB. He's such a great horse & I love knowing he's getting on so well.

Fingers crossed for everything with your bay boy & his vetting. He looks lovely in the pictures & I'm sure you'll both learn loads together.

vallin

Visit site
I usually only lurk here but have just read your update & felt I had to post.

I've been following this post with interest as I'm currently horseless myself & will be looking to buy a new horse in a few months. When you posted about horse 3 I thought he sounded lovely as I'm a big TB fan & have been waiting to see what you ended up with. It sounds like you've made a good descision & thought it through well.

The reason I had to post though is the second picture in your post, that's my boy! I've seen your previous pictures & thought the yard looked similar to the one he now lives on but it's actually the same yard. I hope you don't mind me saying hi but it's so nice to know he might of helped your decision to go for a TB. He's such a great horse & I love knowing he's getting on so well.

Fingers crossed for everything with your bay boy & his vetting. He looks lovely in the pictures & I'm sure you'll both learn loads together.

Small world! Emily lent him to me and it defo helped, have ridden Chilli a couple times and he's such a sweety. Did some fantastic extended trot work (proper, rather than his flicky toes ;) ) at the end of the ride and it was fab, he's such a good lad.

Firewell

Visit site
He looks a cutie!! He looks a little like Lucemoose's wonderful horse Teak?! Fingers crossed he passes the vet for you :). I LOVE my TB's and I'm a complete wimp. Such huge hearts, they really try (or at least the one's I have had are like that). I had to help a lady lunge her little cob mare last night and the mare was being a stubborn cow bag, kept turning in and refusing to move. We got her lunging fine in the end but all I could think of was my TB is 10x easier ha ha.
I'm about to write a mammoth update on my TB boy :).
Good luck, so excited for you and Frenchie looks gorgeous.

vallin

Visit site
He looks a cutie!! He looks a little like Lucemoose's wonderful horse Teak?! Fingers crossed he passes the vet for you :). I LOVE my TB's and I'm a complete wimp. Such huge hearts, they really try (or at least the one's I have had are like that). I had to help a lady lunge her little cob mare last night and the mare was being a stubborn cow bag, kept turning in and refusing to move. We got her lunging fine in the end but all I could think of was my TB is 10x easier ha ha.
I'm about to write a mammoth update on my TB boy :).
Good luck, so excited for you and Frenchie looks gorgeous.

Thanks, having had a riding lesson on a fellow liveries warmblood after riding Emily's tb, the warmblood was definitely the harder work of the two! (do love riding her though ;) ) I like readin gyour update so will keep and eye out for it.

Oh, and Frenchie says thank you very much, but she's not really allowed compliments at the moment as she has removed yet *another* shoe and thus ruined my plan for a lovely weekend of hacking! ;)

vallin

Visit site
Update!

I was hoping at this point to be able to post lots of excited pictures of horse 3 in his new home but unfortunately he failed the vetting :( spoke to both the vet and A who both said he behaved impeccably bit failed a flexion test and was the showing lameness when lunged :(

Back to the drawing board we go!

j1ffy

Visit site
Update!

I was hoping at this point to be able to post lots of excited pictures of horse 3 in his new home but unfortunately he failed the vetting :( spoke to both the vet and A who both said he behaved impeccably bit failed a flexion test and was the showing lameness when lunged :(

Back to the drawing board we go!

Oh no!!! What a shame :( On with the search then, best of luck!!

PorkChop

Visit site
What a shame :( don't give up, there is a fantastic horse out there for you!

Do you have any more that you are interested in? What about a wanted ad?

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Not sure if suitable but Sue Horn at Narramore stud has a cracking 16hh horse for sale homebred, well started and from proven bloodlines in lovely horses.

I know a 4yo mare for sale who is home bred and again been well started. Same breeder has another one as well. Will be some travelling for you as in SW but worth a shot as all nice horses.

Depending on my wolf in sheeps clothing horse, I will be back to Ireland in September.

vallin

Visit site
Can't find the details of the horses for sale at Narramore (found the fb page but no obvious information on there), feel free to pm me links though :)

LEC

www.youtube.com
Just message narramore on FB then they can discuss suitability.

Not sure if other two homebreds are advertised yet. Will ask.

vallin

Visit site
Update!

Horse 6 - 15.3, warmblood, mare. Now this is an interesting one, if possibly a brief update. Before Christmas I was effectively sharing a horse on my yard, riding her 2/3 time a week for the owner, doing a bit of schooling/bringing on. No money exchanging hands, but needless to say I was putting quite a lot of work into the horse. After Christmas I stopped riding the horse, not quite sure how it happened, but owner had a bad experience with the horse at a clinic and then decided she wanted to do it on her own, which in all honesty was fine with me as I was beginning to get a bit irked by putting all the effort in and not be able to take the horse out (classic sharer dilemma! ;) ). More recently I have been riding the horse a bit, just every now and then when the owner is away. Now, I get on very well with the mare, however she does have a bit of an attitude and can be rather stubborn/opinionated. Whilst I was away she refused to load for the owner and then dumped her twice. Needless to say, not a happy owner. We had discussed the possibility of me buying her before but my price was too low (she paid £4000 for the horse 18 months ago and I offered her £2000), fast forward to yesterday and she asked me again if I would like to buy the mare for £3500 no tack. Having had Horse 3 fail the vetting and being able to feel myself become a little disillusioned by the whole process I can honestly say I was seriously tempted - I know the horse, I know she moves nicely and can jump, I'm aware of her (many) flaws and am confident that I can deal with them...but...after buying tack she would end up being £1000/£1500 over budget, she is a classic, heavy set warmblood and therefore not naturally built for eventing, and it would be a constant battle to get her fit enough for BE80, never mind the PN level I am hoping to be doing a few years down the line. I suspect, therefore, that I will have to say no and just continue doing little bits with her when the owner is away, which is a shame as she has a lot of potential, I just feel she would be more suited to RC/SJ/Dressage, than eventing :( :(

Any who, onwards and upward! (I hope!)

Kelpie

Visit site
I say this without knowing the horse but I would slightly question whether even a thicker set WB would have a problem at be100? I event a very non typical event horse at be100 (connie) and yes I have to do masses of fittening work but he eats up the XC :) just a thought :)

LEC

www.youtube.com
Confo photo please or similar type?
What is the breeding?
I evented a MW hunter at novice level in his younger days and then at PN when 15. He had a good nine inches of bone. Was not terribly fast but he never pulled and could keep coming so we never wasted any time. He was harder work to keep fit and keep his waist trim but he had endless scope for the level required.

vic07

Visit site
I event a m/w at intro. 17.2hh of proper m/w show horse! The only reason I won't take him pn is some decrepit hocks.... He can really gallop and jump. However I do have to keep him fit! His dainty sister keeps herself fit!

Vodkagirly

Visit site
If you know him and reasonabley confident that he is sound why not put another offer in, explaining that if she is offer 3k you need vetting for insurance so can't afford that.
Is she a proper heavy set horse or heavy due to being unfit?

TPO

Visit site
Re the mare. If the owner accepted the offer of 2k would you be happy to own her or do you have worries about her eventing potential regardless of her price? If she isn't suitable for you then it doesn't really matter if she's 50p or 50k.

However if you'd want her for 2k, but not 3.5k (fair enough given the work you've put into her and the fact owner is selling for negative reasons rather than having brought her on etc), then you can only lay your cards on the table and tell owner that 2k is your max for that mare and leave the ball in her court.

Happy shopping meanwhile!

HeresHoping

Visit site
Aww Vallin, forgive me for saying this, but it does sound as though you've moved on from the mare some time ago, and that whilst you enjoyed her, she wasn't really your thing, she's just an option.

If you're not too put off by the heavies (but not too heavy)....I've p.m.'d you a FB link because there's a chap on there who might be something you might like.