A plea to bridle manufacturers...

Nudibranch

Visit site
Please, when I buy a new bridle, could I just have the option of a normal, plain English leather noseband and reins as standard? Like it used to be?

If I want a flash, grakle, crank, diamante browband, rubber reins, bizarre shade of brown, top of the range super beeswax and asses milk treated leather - whatever - I will accept these things are extras and pay for them accordingly.

Thank you.

Suby2

Visit site
Agreed. I just wanted a plain cavesson noseband when I was looking for a new bridle. This limited my search so much that I ended up having one custom made.

JillA

Visit site
And please can they make and supply browbands larger than 16" as an option. My horse doesn't have a huge head, but a 16" is quite snug on him and I can't find a larger one locally without having one specially made. Pinched ears lead to headshyness very quickly!

Bendyhorse

Visit site
completely agree I was desperate for a really smart cavesson bridle without straps/ bling etc and the only thing that would come up was a 300 pound plus double...not yet thanks. I added Wolds Exclusive Bling on my facebook and she found me a perfect bridle for 130 and it is gorgeous. Plain leather rolled cavesson and simples :)

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
My grumble is that I want a bridle without a noseband.

Buying the headpiece, browband and cheeks separately costs more than buying complete with noseband.

CBFan

Visit site
Couldn't agree with you more. even better if the bridle came in parts so that you could order different sized parts according to the size of head, without it costing you any more :)

Oberon

Visit site
I buy The Tank's bridles in brown with a cav noseband in XF :eek:

I've got not chance :eek:

I found eBay essential ;)

Happy H

Visit site
Couldn't agree with you more. even better if the bridle came in parts so that you could order different sized parts according to the size of head, without it costing you any more :)

If you call Evision www.evisonequine.co.uk, they will mix and match sizes/styles etc for you at no extra cost! And very good quality for the prices.

If you do speak to them, tell them to advertise this on their website as I am sure they will get more sales :)

xx

Enfys

Visit site
I needed a breed specific bridle (jaquima) and have had to order it custom made in Colombia along with my saddle :(

When I needed a wider, bog standard, plain cavesson for a NF in the UK I gave up searching and had one made by my local saddler (and an excellent job she did too)

Does anyone know why bridles generally come with the flash attachment? In ye olden days, back in the mists of time, they came with cavessons as standard.

Last edited:

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I had to buy one recently for a loan horse who came without tack, he's not a permanent loan so wanted cheap and cheerful. XF so nothing I had fitted him.

Was messaging an online retailer who does a lot of reasonably priced tack but as soon as I said XF my choice narrowed right down. If I had insisted on a cavasson, I would have been into the expensive range.

It's all very well saying take the flash strap off but you are still left with a useless little loop and I got a crank when I didn't really want it.

Orls

Visit site
Stubben make lovely bridles with an option to choose plain cavesson or flash noseband when you order. I've had mine for years and it still looks great.

Baileyhoss

Visit site
All of your requirements can be easily met by supporting your local saddler who can probably provide a much better quality handmade bridle with good english leather, rather than seeking something out of a catalogue or on the internet, which is probably manufactured in bulk in India.

The good English brands do provide these options, but you are paying a high premium not just for the quality, but for the name as well.

F x

CBFan

Visit site
I had to buy one recently for a loan horse who came without tack, he's not a permanent loan so wanted cheap and cheerful. XF so nothing I had fitted him.

Was messaging an online retailer who does a lot of reasonably priced tack but as soon as I said XF my choice narrowed right down. If I had insisted on a cavasson, I would have been into the expensive range.

It's all very well saying take the flash strap off but you are still left with a useless little loop and I got a crank when I didn't really want it.

Yes, I couldbn't agree more... My boy has an XF head and only certain brands come up big enough for him... that said, he only has pony or cob length cheek pieces (which I don't object to buying seperately as I know it's a bit odd!) :O... It is really hard to find a nice - good quality bridle for him at a reasonable price...

TandD

Visit site
this is why i never sell my old bridles......... you will never find another to exactly what you want!
i interchange parts and make up new bridles depending on what i need
much easier/cheaper and i can get a better fit for a range of horses!

KVH

Visit site
As above, Evison Equine. (English leather)
However I don't know why other brands seem incapable of making a plain cavasson, quite ridiculous.

ebonyallen

Visit site
I so agree with you, why do they think that we all want a flash and why do all the reins have martingale stops on them, not all of us use one. If we want these things then it would be nice to buy them, why assume that we all need them.

starryeyed

Visit site
This annoys me too! When I was bridle hunting, I was looking for a narrow cavesson bridle (for a fine head), with a comfort headpiece. It was so hard to find something, I ended up splurging and buying an Albion from the national saddle centre who were really helpful, they ordered in my narrow noseband for me & sent me the different sized bits & pieces I needed. Beautiful bridle too (no regrets!)
Agree that Stubben ones are very nice too, my last horse had one and it was lovely. x

hogged2trot

Visit site
Definitely agree. Was recently looking for a plain bridle. Wanted a raised cavesson but not wide. Everything in the budget range was just huge and made my horses face look awful. Plus they were so thick they didn't mould to his face and had a massive gap atthe side. CCouldn't agree more with the person who said about keeping bridles. Wish I kept mine in better condition. £30 13years ago. Still going strong. Just not show standard. The reason I never let the beast rub after work before his bridle is off. Lesson learnt.

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
Please, when I buy a new bridle, could I just have the option of a normal, plain English leather noseband and reins as standard? Like it used to be?

If I want a flash, grakle, crank, diamante browband, rubber reins, bizarre shade of brown, top of the range super beeswax and asses milk treated leather - whatever - I will accept these things are extras and pay for them accordingly.

Thank you.

lol, I ONLY make bridles like this, traditional, plain and buckled up billets!
Can't be doing with all the fancy stuff!
Oz

Spit That Out

Visit site
Stubben make lovely bridles with an option to choose plain cavesson or flash noseband when you order. I've had mine for years and it still looks great.

^^^This^^^

Also the do a good range of XF and even XXF, you can order parts separately and although they aren't the cheapest bridles looked after they last years.

Piglet

Visit site
Totally agree, I am desperately hunting around for a Havana, stud billet drop noseband bridle at a sensible price. :( :(. I can buy sensible priced flash and grakle noseband bridles but a drop? Absolute nightmare and if I buy separate bridle and drop noseband the colour doesn't match up