A Police Plea to Riders Hacking alone!

Hants_Horsewatch

Visit site
We as riders seldom think of these things but:

Earlier this week a riderless horse was found in the New Forest area. It was apparent that the horse had taken a fall as was completely covered in mud. There was no sign of the rider and no calls received, indicating the possibility that the rider may be injured and unable to raise the alarm. A number of officers, police dog and police helicopter were involved in the search. There was no identification on the tack to trace the owner of the horse.

Please can riders consider:- getting a dog tag engraved with name, postcode and contact number to be attached to the saddle This would enable a quicker identification and hopefully location of where rider may be if you are separated from your horse. the rider did phone in an hour later and was thankfully uninjured.

Some more suggestions on this subject:

Riders should have information about themselves on their person. Unconscious people can’t provide information!!

Tell people where you intend to ride.

Where something bright…..florescent jacket!

If you have a mobile phone take it with you, keep it switched on. Mobile phones can be used as a homing beacon.

9tails

Visit site
I have metal dogtags on both my bridle and saddle, my number on one side and my father's number on the other, when I bought them a couple of liveries laughed at me for being over-the-top safety conscious. I've been fortunate that they haven't been needed as yet, but I would like my horse back if we part company.

dianeholmes

Visit site
Dog tags are an entirely sensible option - I too have them on my saddle and bridle with my details on one side and the stable yard on the other. Thankfully I too have never had to use them!

The emergency services have enough to do without reuinting horses with owners!!!

MinskiKaii

Visit site
I have dog tags on my saddle and bridle as well. Its not like they get in the way or cost alot, so I don't see why people wouldn't use them. I always take my mobile out, have had a few friends left injured and not able to go for help when they came off.

Also a relative of the people who I kept my horse with, was a good rider with a well behaved horse. Came off her horse out hacking, she left her mobile at the yard when she went out. She never came back and after searching for a lot of hours found her. She had died by the time they got there, but had crawled some way before she died, so if she had her phone with her she would have been able to get help.

MerrySherryRider

Visit site

Earlier this week a riderless horse was found in the New Forest area. It was apparent that the horse had taken a fall as was completely covered in mud. There was no sign of the rider and no calls received, indicating the possibility that the rider may be injured and unable to raise the alarm. A number of officers, police dog and police helicopter were involved in the search. There was no identification on the tack to trace the owner of the horse.

Please can riders consider:- getting a dog tag engraved with name, postcode and contact number to be attached to the saddle This would enable a quicker identification and hopefully location of where rider may be if you are separated from your horse. the rider did phone in an hour later and was thankfully uninjured.

Riders should have information about themselves on their person. Unconscious people can’t provide information!!

If you have a mobile phone take it with you, keep it switched on. Mobile phones can be used as a homing beacon.

Thank you, very useful advice. Will pass it on at my yard where we have a lot of solo hackers.

Sprout

www.horse-riding-world.com
Good advice.

I have a dog tag on my saddle, and always carry my mobile which is switched on.
I keep my horses at home, so I often have to ride out with no one knowing where or when I have gone.

Having caught a loose horse on the Forest with no id info on it, and having seen my daughter's pony galloping off out of sight after they had parted company, I know how important it is to do all you can to help yourself and help others to find you and your horse!

peanut

Visit site
Everybody should have ICE on their phone. It stands for In Case of Emergency and it is the first thing the emergency services look for to know who to contact.

ETA: I got my handbag back after leaving it on a train because my phone was still inside with ICE on it. Even train staff knew to look for it.

Last edited:

applecart14

Visit site

I always have my mobile on me whenever I hack out switched on loud (horse not startled by noise) and when I go on fun rides I always carry my phone and a whistle in case I'm ever lying in a ditch unable to move (well you never know)!! I also wear a 'medic alert' bracelet indicating that I am of a rare blood group and have had serious concussion previously, and that I am allergic to penicillin, all of which would help me medically if I was unidentifiable. I always wear flourescent whenever hacking out too. I used to have my horses name on a tag on a bridle with a contact phone number, I must admit I should get this done again. Thank you for this as it has jogged my memory to get it done. :)

Sanolly

Visit site
I haven't got the dog tags on my saddle, but I have ICE on my phone and also a slip with all my details - NOK, people to notify to look after animals, and my medication - under the lining of my hat with a note on the label telling people it's there.

Spudlet

Visit site
Also a relative of the people who I kept my horse with, was a good rider with a well behaved horse. Came off her horse out hacking, she left her mobile at the yard when she went out. She never came back and after searching for a lot of hours found her. She had died by the time they got there, but had crawled some way before she died, so if she had her phone with her she would have been able to get help.

That's awful - I'm so sorry:(

Heigh Ho Silver

New User
Visit site
What a good idea.

Have already thought about putting my phone number on my bag/ keys/ mobile etc incase they are lost ( not landline or address obviously )....... but never thought about dog tagging the d rings on a saddle incase I fell of and someone found my riderless horse on the rampage whilst I lay in a ditch unconcious !

Thank you horse and hound forum. Will do so and notify all my friends as well.

:)

Elsbells

Visit site
The dog tag idea is a good one and i think I'll be getting a couple myself in the morning. I have a stupid question though first please. Where abouts should I put the bridle one? I can see that the D ring on the saddle is the place, but I can't for the bridle without it getting in the way.

My mare and I hack a lot for miles on our own and do change our minds where we're going often on route, so I'm putting ICE into my phone also.

Thanks for the erminder.

NeverSayNever

Visit site
i have ICE on my phone and also tags on my horse - ive also considered a medical armband like we use for XC with all my details on.,even just the card in a coat pocket.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I also have an ICEVET number on my phone in case the horse is hurt. A friend's horse suffered longer than necessary when the people dealing with him called a local small animal vet out who really didn't know what he was doing:(

I'm a bit surprised that the BHS don't include the dog tag advice in their Riding and Road Safety training, but I always recommend it to my students and the people I train for R&RS.

MinskiKaii

Visit site
The dog tag idea is a good one and i think I'll be getting a couple myself in the morning. I have a stupid question though first please. Where abouts should I put the bridle one? I can see that the D ring on the saddle is the place, but I can't for the bridle without it getting in the way.

My mare and I hack a lot for miles on our own and do change our minds where we're going often on route, so I'm putting ICE into my phone also.

Thanks for the erminder.

I put mine on the buckle that attaches the cheak piece to the head piece on the near side of the bridle.

It has an ICE numer, my mobile number and my vets.

Brontie

Visit site
All the tags ive seen are connected to the buckle on the throat lash. :)
Someone said about having contact details etc in their hat. Don't. If you've got a suspected brain injury, they wont take your hat off until your in the hospital, or back of an ambulance. Its must better on an armband, or legband.

rossiroo

Visit site
if u r unconcious the last thing someone would do is remove your hat 2 look 4 a phone number.put it somewhere that is easier 2 c

HihoGinger

Visit site
Funnily enough, this is something I've been meaning to do for a while, and only yesterday I bought a money barrel (like the ones you get for dogs and cats where you write your info on a slip of paper and screw barrel back together, but bigger) to attach to his saddle with a slip of paper with important details on. I was going to get dog tags but they were blummin' expensive, and I felt that I could get more info on a piece of paper.
I mentioned to my hacking buddy this morning that I'd bought it and left it at home, but this thread has reminded me to fill it out and leave it handy to take down to the yard.
Thankyou :)

Fransurrey

Visit site
Good point about the tags. I wonder if it's possible to put one on my hat, somewhere? I have the ICE info in my phone, but have never got round to the tags. Thanks for the reminder.

thoroughlybred1

Visit site
A point well made and noted - we will make sure we have ID of some sort attached to the tack of any horse being hacked alone......was the rider in this instance found and ok?

Orangehorse

Visit site
ICEVET on the phone is a very good idea.

Also if you are going for a ride and leaving the trailer parked somewhere, leave some details visible inside the vehicle, like a mobile phone number.

I had an agonising wait one day, coming across a parked vehicle and trailer early one morning, having seen it in the same place the afternoon before. I couldn't decide where it had arrived that morning, or had been there overnight - with visions of horse broken leg, rider unconcious etc. As it happened, I was just about to phone the Police when the rider came round the corner back to the trailer, but it gave me a severe fright.

soulfull

Visit site
another one who always carries phone and whistle. I know whistle is no good if you can't use it. But I don't fancy being stuck somewhere with a broken leg and not being able to call for help. Really the whistle comes from days before mobiles but there is always the hope that someone passing who knows what the whistle means would help

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
My Mountain Horse jacket has a whistle attached.

Just about to put ICE and ICEVET in my phone, but it's password protected (has to be for work), so I shall make a label instead and stick it on the back of the phone.

Off to look at the link someone kindly put up :D

Very sorry to hear about the lady who died, may she rest in peace.

bounce

Visit site
As my old horse was a very good at the dump mother and run scenario I invested in the Ride Alert package whilst I was at Badminton last year. You register on the database and can put in lots of details about your horse, you, who to contact, medical history, vets, where the stables are etc.

I have a badge which is visible on my skull cap just at the base of the front of my silk, a wrist band and a tag for the d ring on my saddle. The tags have a number to call in case of emergency and the tags have a unique ID to match you up on the database.

I also have ICE on my mobile and never ride without it. I just thought that the Ride Alert thing was good as if the person on my ICE number was not around when they called at least with the Rider Alert scheme there are lots of other numbers that can be tried.

I hope that I never have to use any of it!