A poll:Bute and Riding

Have you stolen feed

• Total voters

TS_

Visit site
My first loan pony was about 17 when I started riding him, I pulled him out of retirement and had him for 2 years until he was re-retired as he still remains. He used to have a bute a day and he loved his work; I hacked him, showed him, jumped him and hunted him with no problems what so ever. I still go and see him sometimes and he is definately a lot less happy now he can no longer be ridden.

Chex

Visit site
I believe my oldie is happier and healthier if he's hacked regularly. If he needs the odd bute on days his arthritis is bad then so be it. But on the whole he's sound on just his joint supplement.

LadyRascasse

Visit site
i didn't vote as it totally depends on the individual horse. like people say most horses are 1/10th lame and are happily ridden, however some horses are more sensitive that others so one horse might be absolutely fine where as another would be in a lot of discomfort.

i have no objections to horses being ridden with a low level of painkillers as long as a) professional advice has been sort and b) the horse is happy doing so.

Chumsmum

Visit site
My 18yo pony is on 1 bute a day and is used for light hacking - he still enjoys going for a hack and it stops him from stiffening up and getting fatter - he has Bone Spavin.

He will be blood tested and seen by the vet every 6 months to check all okay.

I'm fairly confident that I will know when he has had enough plus there is no pressure on us to keep going as I have another pony to do all other activities with.

Lolo

Visit site
My 26yo is given bute in the summer if it gets a bit hard. Then he continues as normal with SJ, XC and dressage. He is happy, healthy and loves it- he is amazing, and completely unbeatble and I don't want to take that away from him. By giving bute he can keep jumping and being the fit and healthy horse he is. He's not on it 24/7, its a precaution against him looking unlevel as he has been pronounced completely fine for what he does by our vet. When he retires from riding it will probably also be from life as well, so retirement isn't an option atm.

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

i have no objections to horses being ridden with a low level of painkillers as long as a) professional advice has been sort and b) the horse is happy doing so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I had the vet yesterday and he advised me to bute and ride.
Perhaps I need to alter my perception on these things. Usually she is ok but just seemed a little out of sorts today, maybe due to the shoeing, I will see tomorrow.

Thanks everyone for your answers, interesting to see roughly what people think of this topic. Feel free to keep voting everyone else
grin.gif

Zebedee

Visit site
My farrier recommends upping the dose the day before shoeing/trimmimg- especially if the problem is in the hocks. So my friends old pony who is on half a bute a day will have a whole one the night before & another whole one in the morning. Vet quite happy with this arrangement & it does at least enable the pony to be trimmed all round.

Chumsmum

Visit site
I've seen your other post and can sympathise - it took a while to find out what level of exercise/bute suited my old pony and what little things can make him better/worse - I'm hoping he may be able to do a bit more now the snow has gone but I just take each day at a time.

I can definiately say he is happier on the bute than when not on it.

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I've seen your other post and can sympathise - it took a while to find out what level of exercise/bute suited my old pony and what little things can make him better/worse - I'm hoping he may be able to do a bit more now the snow has gone but I just take each day at a time.

I can definiately say he is happier on the bute than when not on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Chumsmum, I think I need to start looking at this differently really. I need to be more accepting and just take each day as it comes I think. At the moment I seem to struggling with it, the ups and downs have been going on for what seems like ages. She does have really good days where you would have no idea, and thats without bute, just hoping it was the shoeing and trotting up that upset the balance. Will see what she is like in the morning.

SpottedCat

Visit site
Think of it this way - would you take an ibuprofen and ride? If your dog needed an anti-inflammatory a day to keep them comfortable (and other than that they had a good quality of life), would you still walk them?

It's the same thing to my mind - and don't forget it is perfectly within the rules to jump at a BSJA show with a horse on low levels of bute.....

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Think of it this way - would you take an ibuprofen and ride? If your dog needed an anti-inflammatory a day to keep them comfortable (and other than that they had a good quality of life), would you still walk them?

It's the same thing to my mind - and don't forget it is perfectly within the rules to jump at a BSJA show with a horse on low levels of bute.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks SP. This is what I have been trying to think about since getting home earlier. I have to take painkillers some days to get on with things.
I think I need to try exactly as the vet has suggested and give her bute and keep her in work, its only light hacking.
I just need to change my mindset on this matter I think and get on with it. Perhaps I need to enjoy her with a small amount of bute some days albeit gently as I do not know how long that pedal bone will stay stable where it is after all.
Thanks for your reply, I think your right.
I never knew that about BSJA show jumping and bute, that is interesting.

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
Thank you to you all for your answers and taking part in this poll.
It is good to here what the rest of you do and think about this.
I think I need to change my mindset and try as the vet has advised.
We only do light hacking so I think I do need to crack on and get past today and try a little bute and see how she feels.