A ponder re showjumpers

Supertrooper

Visit site
Having been at Olympia last night I just wonder why the vast majority of show jumpers are so un-reactive (for want of a better phrase) when they are getting appreciation from the crowd.

I know last night that the majority of riders had fences down but the support when their rounds had finished was brilliant however they'd done and is it really too much to ask them to raise a hand or smile?

I completely understand that it's a business but without the support of the general public there wouldn't be shows like Olympia and also I'm sure it does but people off supporting SJ. I've noticed that the horses names are becoming easier to pronouce at least! ;-)

What do others think?

Jenni_

www.facebook.com
I think with the amount of pressure surrounding it it can be easy to forget where you are.

I know that all I've ever had drilled into me is that 'when you're in the ring, ignore everyone out of it' You have to appreciate what will be bussing round their heads immeadiately after a round etc.

Would be nice to see more smiles and raised hands though.

Allie5

Visit site
I used to jump internationally (juniors before anyone gets excited!) and Im not exaggerating when I say that when Im in the ring I see nothing but my ponies ears and the track in front of me. I hear nothing but hoofbeats and my own and ponies breathing. I genuinely was never particularly aware of the crowd. Even when I finished I was often thinking about my performance and which pony I had to ride next. I don't think anyone does it to be disrespectful. During prizegiving is your time to smile and wave and say thank you. You wouldn't expect a pilot to stop flying to accept thanks for a nice take off! The end of one round is rarely the end of the job at hand!

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Because many are northern, and most will be thinking about how bad their hangover is and wondering if the bar is open again yet :p

Countrychic

Visit site
I'm just Guessing as I have no experience of that level but often when I'm coming out of the ring I'm thinking about what I didn't like, where I should have ridden differently, whether I'm happy with schooling/tack etc. Often OH will say well done as I'm coming out and even if I'm clear I'll usually say something like " I shouldn't have held between the distance". I suppose they should try though even if it's not natural to them because it's good for the sport.

Luci07

Visit site
I didn't care about that. What I picked up was that pretty much every SJ r patted his or her horse on the way out and said well done. Much more important!

lou_lou

Visit site
Did anyone watch it last night on Eurosport? Nearly every rider waved to the crowd after their rounds it was great! Maybe they got wind of this thread lol!!!

TarrSteps

Visit site
I think riders are more likely to make an effort for "fun" classes like Puissance or Six Bar and for big GPs because there is more a sense of occasion. Otherwise it is a bit "the office" and, at least in the first round, they still have their heads very much in the game.

Also, not everyone is a showman and many riders are actually quite shy people. It's not like show business, where the show is the point - people don't usually become elite equestrians because they like crowds. Of course some are naturally that way but they'd be the centre of attention if they were coal miners or office workers.

I get what people are saying, that they have paid for a show, but it's such a serious game now.