A possibly stupid question - lab colour

Cedars

Visit site
Hi all,

I am wondering if someone could help me understand labrador colour genetics, and more specifically, if there are any specific links to health conditions for different colours?

So, if you had a litter, with black and brown labs in (obviously same parents for both), would one colour be more at risk than the other, for any health conditions?

I have done some googling but can't find much!

Thanks in advance,

H.

s4sugar

Visit site
Hi all,

I am wondering if someone could help me understand labrador colour genetics, and more specifically, if there are any specific links to health conditions for different colours?

So, if you had a litter, with black and brown labs in (obviously same parents for both), would one colour be more at risk than the other, for any health conditions?

I have done some googling but can't find much!

Thanks in advance,

H.

No differences down to colour but the chances of problems in any individual does depend on quality and ancestors' test results.

kal40

Visit site
Oh god, don't mention choosing between choc and black on here!!! There are a lot of anti chocs around!:p

That's a shame. We have a chocolate lab and I wouldn't swap her for all the tea in china. She came from a mixed litter (3 chocolate bitches, one black bitch and one black dog).

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Website re important issues to consider when buying a lab puppy:

http://www.lab-health.co.uk/

149312_316384505098680_208877045849427_754743_258707652_n.jpg

Cedars

Visit site
Thanks, not worried about all that, done all my research (and this will be our 3rd), just wondering about the specific colour difference :) good to know we can pick any from the litter :)

And that photo made me lol!!

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
That's a shame. We have a chocolate lab and I wouldn't swap her for all the tea in china. She came from a mixed litter (3 chocolate bitches, one black bitch and one black dog).

We have a choc as well, and a yellow. The choc is twice as clever as the yellow. I love them both. Usually when you bring up colour in labs on here you get people muttering about chocs being wired to the moon etc. I don't agree!

If anything is wired to the moon its our yellow....

DSC02591_zps6c7e2aef.jpg

MurphysMinder

Visit site
I think the reason some people are wary of chocolates is because they became very popular and dodgy breeders jumped on the bandwagon and started churning them out without any regard for health tests etc.
As long as you have done your research I can't see there will be a problem, however I wouldn't refer to them as browns, you might offend the breeder.:p

kal40

Visit site
But if its the same litter, are they likely to be much more dappy than their black siblings?

No. My sister took the black bitch from the same litter that our chocolate one came from and ours is way ahead intelligence wise. Their mannerisms are the same and they look like twins when they are together but in this case it's been about training and their daily life.

Our lab is the centre of our house, sister has a child so dog is second. Our lab goes to mil during the day so has constant human company. Sisters spends some time alone or goes to her mils with other dogs.

We are lucky with these dogs though as they are both great to have around.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Having had two sets of siblings, I think that the colour makes zero difference. My first two were a b/w and a l/w and the b/w was miles more intelligent, quicker, over thought things. When he died, my dad said Brig, the l/w, had lost half his brain. Having 2 b/w now, one is far more intelligent, more nervy, more active. I reckon the colour is irrelevant, it's the innate nature of the dog that counts.

Goldenstar

Visit site
But if its the same litter, are they likely to be much more dappy than their black siblings?

The cleverest lab I have known was yellow the dimmest was black while I will admitt that of the chocolates I have known quite a view where nice but dim I have known clever ones too in fact one of my Favorites ATM ( apart from my gang of course belongs to my SIL best friend hes chocolate and just fab.
They do seem to run to fat even easier than the yellow and black but perhaps that's because round here I don't see many working chocolates .

Cedars

Visit site
Scrap that, we're having a boy and the two possible browns are definitely going black! Very odd as they have brown pads but they definitely are already too dark to be chocolate (though not really dark enough to be black yet!). Mum has a brownish 'glow' in the sunlight so seems they might match her.

Visited him yesterday, they were 3 weeks yesterday so we've still got 5 weeks to wait but as with the previous dog, fab breeder is happy for us to come over lots before then :D

C4DA4D9F-DAC2-45FF-8F50-A338E0A167B7-2457-0000019F73710C92_zps15c5ae6e.jpg

7D9E01C5-D2F4-472C-8F08-5AB4D3D49464-2752-0000019FAFFE2A65_zpse4d5d2bd.jpg

Called him Willow, Will/Wills for everyday.