A potentially heartbreaking 'how much'!!

AutumnRose

Visit site
I had some bad news this afternoon, in that i'm being made redundant for second time in less than 6 months. To cut a long story short i hope it won't come to selling him but i think, for OH's sake as much as mine, i need to consider it as a very possible reality if i don't get a new job asap.

Not looking for the sympathy vote, just a realistic price so i can weigh up the options against our current situation. Anyone who knows me will know this is almost impossible to write but i have to look at bigger picture!!!

Here is his outline-
16hh MW irish gelding, rising 6yo. Easy and lovely to do in all respects. Responsive and well schooled ride, working Novice level at home and getting 65%+ at unaff prelim. Would easily go up the levels BD. Bold and scopey jump, lovely careful technique. Loose jumps 1.25m easily and happily jumping 1.10m at home Jumps ditches, water etc without a second thought and schooled round PN tracks. Clear round his first few unaff hunter trials and entered up at intro. No vices in anyway.
A pic for those who don't know him..
camera1119.jpg

Just need to get an idea of price now against what i paid just before the credit crunch!!!Tbh i'm hoping because i got him just before prices dropped it won't make it worth it!! I hope very much i won't have to sell him, OH is trying his best to reassure me it wont come to this, but need to consider all options....

Honest thoughts and opinions appreciated!!!

Skhosu

Visit site
hmm..4.5 k is my guess, he's not done anything above average out competing, do and intro, up to 5k, pre-novice I'd say up to 6K, presuming clears xc and no more than 4 or so sj.

seabiscuit

Visit site
Oh I am so sorry to hear this. Really hope you dont have to sell him.

He's completly safe and perfect to hack out etc? In which case he would be a decent price.

I have to admit that although he looks very 'Irish' standing up, he looks like such a dude to jump and the type that will jump anything/everything all day long!

You also have to consider that he'd be a perfect hunter? plus he is coloured which adds KKK to the price.

He's probably worth a fair bit!

burtie

Visit site
Sounds like a serious amatuers dream ride, I can understand why you don't want to sell. However I would value him at £8k, but if you need a quick sale you may need to drop.

Fingers crossed for you it doesn't come to that.

Silgram

Visit site
Really sorry to hear this. In the current market I would say 6k tops. Just wanted to add I was in a simular position last year and as I could not sell ed (now 17 had him since he was 2) I put him on loan to a friend for a year which helped hugely to sort out my bills. Something to think about rather than selling.

libbyandblue

Visit site
I'm sorry to hear this. Well he looks like an amazing horse! I would also say about £7 or £8k. Hope it doesn't come to that though.

AutumnRose

Visit site
Thanks guys, appreciate the opinions.

Just to add he is easy to hack etc, forward going and enthusiastic (can be a bit bouncy!!) but nothing difficult or strong and loads of fun. I hunted him this winter and he was foot perfect and jumped everything.

bailey14

Visit site
I'd say realistically about 5K. Its a buyers market at the moment and not a sellers market. Why not loan him or share him to save yourself a bit of money until you find another job. Sympathies to you though, I'm in the same situation come August 7th when I lose my job due to dept being outsourced to the Phillipines of all places. Very sad, but know I will get another job sooner or later. Also get the scissors on your credit cards if you have any and go and sign on. Depending on your circumstance you could get £50+ per week which all helps. Yes you have to talk to someone and answer questions on the phone for about an hour and then visit the dole office, but its well worth it.

Chloe_GHE

Visit site
Don't sell him, put him out on loan and take out a loan for £4/5000 to tide you over then you won't have the running costs of a horse but you will still have him, and only a small loan to pay off, or.....why don't you half loan him to a riding school/agricultural college whch will give you cheaper bills if he is used for pupil lessons. I know that isn't ideal but at least you will still own him when things are better you can return to your old routine
smile.gif

Hope you find a new job soon
smile.gif

jennystreek

Visit site
he sounds like he's priceless to you Laura, so dont sell!!!!

Could you stick him on grass livery for a bit to keep bills down all the while you're not working?

I'm sure you'll find a job soon... I'll keep a look out for you x

Cliqmo

Visit site
Because of his general "all rounder" appeal and coupled with the fact he is still a good age and showing potential to further his career I think you could get alot of money for him (£8k?)-I know people have mentioned the recession but it strikes me that alot of the horse prices at the bottom end of the scale are dropping but the decent horses worth decent money are still making close to their value. If you have to sell I would ask a decent amount of money for him to make it worth your while.

BroadfordQueen

Visit site
I sold a pony similar to Blue. He was a 6year old irish gelding, and was as safe as they come. He hadn't done any BE, but always went clear at unaff stuff, and he didn't produce the best dressage test (he was a chunky monkey who wasn't as flash as all the warmbloods!) but was nicely schooled, and safe to do everything with.

He sold for £6k, and we could have sold him 10 times over! This was several years ago though, but he wasn't as classy as Blue, so judging on that I would say from £6,000-£8,000.

So sorry you have to even consider this
frown.gif

flyingfeet

Visit site
Unless you need the money - rather than just the reduction of running costs, please don't sell. Loan or put out to grass.

I know things are awful at the moment, but they will pick up.

Bubblegum

Visit site
I reckon between £5 to £6 K in the current market.

BUT...please don't sell if you can possibly avoid it. He is worth his weight in gold to you...as everyone else said if its just running costs you need to save...put him on loan or out to grass.

I really, really hope you find a new job soon. You could do with some better luck.
frown.gif

prudunce

Visit site
noooooooooooooooooooooooooo,dont sell him LaLA,im on DIY livery and P's out on grass 24/7,dont have lessons anymore as too expensive,saves a fortune!!! Maybe treat urself to a lesson once in a while!!I Do 1 event a mth during BE season.&unafil stuff inbetween. Doesnt have to cost a fortune if u dont have the cash! plus im always over-drawn,u only live once.ps im sooooooo sorry hunx
smirk.gif

Groom42

Visit site
So sorry to hear your predicament. I agree with all those that say, loan,don't sell, if you possibly can avoid it. Then you will have something to look forward to when things pick up, without dreading and justifying the expense/stress of finding new horse,plus all the kit and caboodle that comes with it! Good Luck!
smile.gif

AutumnRose

Visit site
Thanks for the opinions guys, very helpful and gives me plenty to consider. We are waiting for some potentially good news on OHs job which could mean i can definitely keep him and keep competing so fingers crossed!!

Nosey

Visit site
If he's Irish he's tough - chucking him out won't do any harm. Its so hard to get the right horse don't pass him up once you have found him. When we are out competing we always spend so much on our horses - entry fees, lessons, diesel, supplements, all those extra bits and bobs we thnk we need whereas in reality we can keep them fit and well for a fraction of the price.

Foxford

Visit site
Sorry to hear of your situation. You seem to have found yourself a star in this horse and I really hope you don't have to sell him. Price wise, I think you would easily get 6k for him. I'm willing to bet you wouldn't even need to advertise him. Best of luck.

cavalo branco

Visit site
I've read all your posts and think I saw your boy at Wivelsden HT?? He looks lovely and even without BE results, loads of people want a sane, safe allrounder to have fun on and would pay £6,000 despite the market. But don't sell him!! There are lots of good suggestions on here, could you also get a sharer to help with costs? Just stop competing and lessons, it saves a fortune!!! Very best of luck, hope it all works out