A pouty post from me - but I'm so depressed about this...

L&M

Visit site
I feel for you - I have had to sell the horse of my dreams as things just didn't work out. Like you he was an angel for the first few mnth, then things went slowly down hill.

We had all the vet checks done, new saddle, and spent a fortune on schooling livery, but had to make the sad decision last month that we were just not suited so have sold him on.

I would also echo a second opinion on the saddle, and if possible get the previous owner to sit on board and see if the issue remains the same.

If you decide to persevere I would spend the winter just hacking and bonding with him, maybe remove all hard feed bar a vit/min supplement or balancer, and take things slowly.

If you decide to sell on don't see it as a failure - sometimes horses just don't get on in certian yards, or click with certain riders, and you may be doing both of yourselves a favour.

My old horse is far more settled in his new home, with a more experienced and confident rider, and will be her dream horse. I now have a quieter horse and we have clicked straight away and can now move forward.

Good luck and keep safe x

YellowBoots

Visit site
I'd take him off the molasses and alfalfa. Mine can't cope with it at all and turns into a loony.

Is he girthy at all? How long have you had him now?

cronkmooar

Visit site
. And as for bloodtests, well they are usually for lameness rather than back issues [i may be wrong]. you should talk to your vet really.

Blood is stored for 6 months. You need to speak to the vet that vetted and get him to test for what is required - he should advise.

Obviously bute is your number 1 test needing doing - bute would mask any pain not just lameness. I would also speak to the vet to see what he thinks about testing for dope.

Personally, I would do this first before anything else. If you get a clean test back then you know to start looking at saddle etc.

If you get a positive test back - you then reject the horse.

Good luck - what a bloody nightmare

putasocinit

Visit site
I dont want to be rude, so please dont take me the wrong way, but why when people buy horses the minute they fart, it becomes a oh no whats happening, get a hold of him, slap him on the ass, become the leader and ride him, not the passenger, he is only taking the piss, and if he is being overfed, reduce the feed, but get on and ride, that is how us kids were taught in the old days, you didnt come home to mom and dad and say pony did a woopdy because dad said do you want a woopsy? Ride it.