A productive weekend.

Thistle

Visit site
B came home from uni early Fri afternoon for a VERY special occasion. It was to be Hectors first proper jumping lesson for 10 months. He has jumped a few times at home in the last 2 months with no ill affects since his injury last spring so we booked him a lesson with B's regular trainer John Adams,

Victor/Hector Meldrew cheered up immensley once he realised the taxi was just for him, he cheered up even more when we arrived and he saw the jumps and jump tack was put on, in fact Victor morphed into Hector. He warmed up over trot poles and a little grid then John declared that Hec looked fine so the jumps went up. Hec was extremely surprised when a 3rd part was put on the grid and jumped it with his head between his knees just to check. He was even more shocked when B started to link jumps together, especially the 2 very skinny skinnies that jumped on a 4 stride dogleg. By the end of the lesson I don't know who had the bigger grin, B or Hector. Even better was tha fact that he trotted up sound the next day and went out for a lovely hack.

Combined training is on the cards for him next weekend.

Next Floss. First event of the season today at Poplar Park BE100. Lovely day, perfect going and a well built course.

Floss did a 35.5 dressage to be in the middle of the section. She jumped a foot perfect, if forward SJ round and went clear XC, within the time to finish in 4th place and actually win some money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The time was very tight, only 3 in her section inside. Floss had a nasty moment at the third last, a skinny wishing well. She jumped off the step just before and grabbed the bit as she turned for home, yanking the reins. B hadn't quite got her back for the skinny. The bottom of the fence was reddish wood with flowers and the top bar was black. She jumped it a bit fast and didn't see the top bar and hit it. She stumbled badly on landing shooting B out of the side. B had good superglue and somehow regained her seat before entering the water at the next fence. She was so far off the side there is a spur scratch halfway over the top of the saddle. Luckily Floss doesn't seem to have hurt herself at all. I don't know if she would have seen the fence any better if she had gone any slower as if you pull she get her head up and hollows so it's often better just to let her run on and balance herself. She is normally super quick and careful with her front end.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
How fantastic that they are both on fire. Fingers crossed it continues.

Thistle

Visit site
Floss was so super quick in the XC that the photographer missed her!!!!!!!! There will be some SJ ones though, on Flash Harry when they come up.

B has some vids of the Heccalumph on her computer I think, hopefully she will put them up at some point when she gets back to uni.

Rosiefan

Visit site
Great result! Agree with you totally about the course and the going and it was indeed a lovely day. It poured down on the way home but we actually had sunshine - and warmth - just about all day until then (at Poplar? :cool: unheard of).

Hope the jockey appreciates that you'd done all the hard work and got Floss 'ready to go' while she was enjoying herself slogging away at uni ;). So pleased to hear Hector is back in the game, very good to hear.

Very well done :)

Thistle

Visit site
The jockey does her fair share too, I save all the horrid jobs, like stud holes for her. We have had an extremely busy weekend as Fri night we hosted a dinner party/fundraiser for 12 people as part of the Great Herts Feast to raise funds for the Herts Air Ambulance and Help for Heroes. We raised £500 due to our lovely generous friends who were wined and dined by us.

Gamebird

Visit site
Fun, eventing, food, success AND money. Couldn't ask for more. :D

ps. super-pleased to hear about Hector

BBs

Visit site
Really enjoying reading all these eventing reports again. Well done B and Floss :D

Super new with regard to Hector pony too, cant wait to read reports on him, special boy that he is :)

Thistle

Visit site
Hector is esctatic about the jumping, he was getting a bit fed up of just being a dressage diva.

No plans to event him again just yet, he is affiliating BD when B is home from uni for Easter and he'll go out and do some unaff SJ and maybe aff BS at some point.

We have decided to only jump him on good surfaces for a while, although he will continue to hack at home. It's not like he is 'just' an eventer, he is especially good at the dressage bit too.

Last edited:

Bubblegum

Visit site
Great news about both Horses. :)

I am pleased to hear you will be out and about with Hector again.

Fab first run at Poplar too. Always nice to get some money back! And it just wouldn't be eventing without the odd scary moment! Sounds like B did fab.

:) :)

diggerbez

Visit site
;) so what i want to know is what superglue she was using. i could do with some ;)
fab weekend - sounds like Hector enjoyed himself the most :D

FigJam

teamhopalong.blogspot.com
Well done to Team Thistle, sounds like a brilliant weekend all round. :D So pleased Hector is feeling well and airborne again. :) And well done Floss although :eek: at the 3rd last fence, well done B for her super stickability and Floss for finding the landing gear!

KatB

Visit site
:eek: At B's stickability! Pleased Mr H is back jumping, look forward to more updates! Well done to both Floss and B for the placing, what an excellent start to the season :)

Thistle

Visit site
Thanks

I forgot to include the lorry saga in all that.

When I took Hec out of Fri the clutch didn't feel quite right, was only 20 mins away so not too bad.

Got Rob to check it Sat am and there was no fluid and a puddle under the clutch under the lorry. Rang our mechanic who was having a day off. Mechanic sourced the part and Rob drove to Luton (1hr away) to pick it up.

Lovely mechanic came into work and I met them there and he changed the 'clutch pack' for me.

Baydale

Visit site
Clever girls, all of you.:) I'd like some of B's stickability please as mine seems to have gone AWOL. :eek: As for that Hector McThistle, I definitely need to come and visit for some of the very unique therapy he provides: you know, the way that riding him makes you look like this >>> :D

Thistle

Visit site
We've known John for years, he knows when to chat and when to be quiet! On Fri a bit of 'geeing up' was needed. First jump lesson for 10 months on a horse following injury, quite a small dark school but with a good surface and a lot more 'oomph' needed. John has taught B through PC since she was 8 so knows just how to get her to react! He isn't always quite as vocal, but Hec was being a little reserved with his energy! I like the way he talks in rhythm with the canter - to the hand, to the hand etc etc

Thistle

Visit site
Clever girls, all of you.:) I'd like some of B's stickability please as mine seems to have gone AWOL. :eek: As for that Hector McThistle, I definitely need to come and visit for some of the very unique therapy he provides: you know, the way that riding him makes you look like this >>> :D

You know you are welcome to visit anytime, with or without a horse! We still have plenty of sloe gin left and there is probably some skittles vodka lurking in Richards wardrobe!