A question about goats!

millreef

Visit site
Hi all
I don't often venture into this section - I did once before and got shouted at so swore I wouldn't come back but here goes. Is it possible to use dog flea and tick treatment on pet goats? Please don't shout at me:confused:

Alexart

Visit site
I use the stuff meant for sheep too, I did use frontline spray on one of mine one year, as she is allergic to literally everything, and it didn't seem to do very much at all!! - so I'd ask your vet as not many products are lisenced for goats!!:D

millreef

Visit site
Don't use the dog treatment. You could end up with a dead goat. A farm supply shop or local vet will be able to give you the right medication.
The problem is that I'm in HOng Kong and my goats are in Morocco so I have to bring everything with me - they've never even seen a goat here - they'd have a heart attack if they saw one never mind give me any advice. I suppose that I could try online stuff? Anyone know anywhere online where they would export to Honkers?

Alec Swan

Visit site
I don't keep goats, but I do have a sheep or two. I suspect that some of the sheep products may not work well on goats.

Clik and Vetrazine, contain Cyromazine and Dicyclanil, respectively, both of which are designed to inhibit the growth of maggots, so may not work too well on a goat.

There are various products which contain the chemicals either Cypermethrine or the second generation which is spectacularly effective which contains Alpha-Cypermethrine. These products work by either killing the parasite dead, or creating an environment, where insects can't live.

The best thing to do, probably, would be to e/mail Novartis, the manufacturers, they'd give you a clearer answer. Good luck!!

Alec.

jeeve

Visit site
sheep stuff is ususally fine for goats, when we had goats the dips and drenches did both sheep, goats and sometimes cattle, with variations in dosages.

I would not use cat and dog stuff on goats, and if you are stuck you may be able to get a small quantity of a suitable product from vet, or even posted to you from the UK.

I would google a few farm and produce stores /veterinary product supplies and send some emails through. I am sure they should be able to mail something suitable.

tasteofchristmaschaos

Visit site
I agree, use sheep wormer. The wormer I use for my sheep is for sheep and goats. Most sheep wormers are liquid and so you will need a drench gun too. Mine is pellets though, which is much easier, if you can get it!

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Can goats even get fleas? Haven't had goats since I was a child, but don't ever remember fleas being a problem. OP are you sure you don't need a lice treatment rather than a flea treatment?

SaharaS

Visit site
hello...I keep goats (pygmy's) and sheep....please do not use dog or cat products.

you need to contact Novartis if you are unsure as Alec suggested. You can safely drench your goats with sheep wormer (syringe into mouth) as long as you get the correct dose by weight. For external parasites I would speak to Novartis again to see if any of their sheep 'pour-on's' (the new way without dipping)would be ok...this is simply applied with a spray nozzle across the sheeps back from wither to dock & an upturned U like a horse shoe on their quarters...BUT you don't want to be using the wrong product or you can cause more harm than good & potentially kill them...you don't say which type of goats they are so I'm presuming not angora type and with standard coats....can you not get anything from your vet over the counter?best of luck :)

SaharaS

Visit site
ps Crovect and clic are the two main ones...crovect is mainly used as a pour on for sheep as both a preventative & virtually instant treatment for blow fly strike..just checked pack & nothing on it says not suitable for goats...Clic is prevention & not treatment....and is also more money for less and does half the job...although you are meant to be able to use if less frequently I am not so keen on it...I would aim to be getting crovect if you can