A question for horsebox owners who use Myrentalhorsebox

luckilotti

hillhousestables.co.uk
So, my insurance was due for renewal today, in the last year i will have done a total of about 20 miles IF that! I've paid a full years insurance for that!
Anyway, i have often pondered about the myrentalhorsebox scheme and thought of putting my box on there. I mentioned this to both KBIS (who i was insured with) and NFU (who i have just switched it back to as with then you can have it 'laid up' when not in use). KBIS said a straight away NO - if you use myrentalhorsebox we will cancel your policy with us...... NFU called their underwriters to double check and they came back with NO.
SO - IF you have your box on myrentalhorsebox - who is your insurance policy with?? Also, if you havent checked with your horsebox insurance it might be worth doing as you may find it invalidates your insurance.

Finally - does anyone rent out a trailer on there and if so how do you find that works etc as i also have a trailer i could put on.

Thanks.

twobearsarthur

Visit site
I was under the impression when I looked at hiring a box via this site (it was a disaster but that's another story!) that the box was covered by the websites hire insurance. But I don't know how or if this would affect your own insurance if it were to be in an accident.

luckilotti

hillhousestables.co.uk
I can only assume that there isnt actually a policy you could insure your own horsebox with which wouldnt be invalidated by also putting it on the site which is such a shame but so glad i have found out now rather than if something happened etc

ThreeTB's

Visit site
All private vehicle insurance precludes use 'for hire or reward' so presumably you'd have to get some sort of commercial insurance the same as horse transporters, taxi drivers etc. Ask your local horse transporter who they use :)

Holly Hocks

Visit site
I wouldn't use this company. I attempted to use them and am insured with Shearwater and have my recovery as part of the insurance package, with Equine Rescue Services. I contacted ERS re upgrading my recovery policy to cover the rental and they told me that I needed just to do it via Shearwater. I contacted Shearwater who said that they would not insure me if I used myrentalhorsebox as the vehicle could not legally be insured by two parties at the same time as the motor insurance database would not allow it. I spoke to my rental horsebox who admitted that this was an issue and didn't exactly make me feel assured that it was entirely legal. Until the insurance issue is sorted, I wouldn't consider using them.

luckilotti

hillhousestables.co.uk
Thanks for the replies.
It's a shame really but i a so glad i asked my insurance company. My horsebox insurance already is classed as commercial and with business use ThreeTBs, apparently that makes no difference as there are 2 insurance policies on the 1 vehicle on those given days :/