A question for those of you who compete and stay away.

china

Visit site
I stayed away a number of times last year for anything up to a week. I have a 3.5t box and fab tent that I sleep in. I had everything I needed and the showground provided the toilet and shower facilities. The queue for the showers was interesting on a daily basis and I soon learnt that flip flops In these showers were a must.

my question for you is what do you do for showering when you are away;
Do you shower and put up with the queue's?
Do you have a shower in your horsebox?
or other?

how would you feel if you could have a portable and private shower for you and your party to use?

Thanks for your feedback!

LittleGinger

Visit site
I just showered early (not too early, about 7) as most people were either feeding their horses, having their own breakfast or tacking up at that point. Or I showered after my first class, when the majority of people were either riding or watching the competition.

I also have a 3.5T and think a shower in the lorry would be lovely (although I'd still shower at the same times!). Maybe I just got lucky with never having to queue?! Only ever stayed away a few times though and always at Broomie's so don't have much to compare with. The last two times I went my parents stayed in a B&B nearby too so I was lucky in that the shower there was available! :)

I personally wouldn't be fussed about a portable shower - I assume that would be something we'd hire - as not sure it was needed. If I stayed away at bigger shows though, maybe I'd look in to it. Interested to know how it would work?

Runaground

Visit site
Hi, I haven't been away with horses, but, spent many years sailing around living onboard year round etc and often it was easier, ( especially in the warmer parts of the world) to use a portable solar shower. They're basically just a big black plastic bag with shower nozzle at the end. Very useful, but, take care, even in the uk the water can get very hot. You can find them in camping type shops. Just hang them up and off you go, either with or without bikini for modesty depending on how "publicly" you're parked!!

EventingMum

Visit site
We have a shower in the lorry but can't carry enough water for several days of 3 or 4 people showering so have to depend on onsite ones if we're away for a while. Some places are much better than others and you quickly work out when they are cleaned and aim to get in just after then. A private shower would be nice depending on the cost.

Spring Feather

Visit site
I have to say I'm no good at camping; I just don't do primitive. When we're away with the horses I dump them in rented stables at the venue and we go stay in a hotel :redface3:

china

Visit site
Thank you all for your feedback.
I have seen the solar bag showers but they do not provide instant hot water.
The principle we are looking at is the same for those who camp. I will be trialing it this year to see how it goes. It will be a gas powered shower for instant hot water and a shower tent. I will put it up behind my own tent and prob take a bikini away just incase the sun is at the wrong angle haha! The water will come from a container that will need to be topped up after each use from the show grounds water supply.
I will also be taking a spare hose attachment to wash my horse with hot water if I need to. I have a grey so any hot water to wash with is most appreciated!

rara007

Visit site
There's very rarely showers at driving shows, we have one in the caravan though, or if we don't take that beg/borrow/don't bother! We're usually only away for 5 days so unless it's really hot not too awful (IMO) :p

china

Visit site
Yep, that would be me, never quite got the bug of staying for weeks on end in a lorry, or, heaven forbid, in a tent :eek:!!!

I literally have the coolest tent in the world! It's a 4 man tent, two bedrooms and a middle sitting area, and the best bit, its completely pop up!!! Takes 5 minutes to put up!! I love it! No poles or anything! And I have a double air bed! The small things, ha!

china

Visit site
There's very rarely showers at driving shows, we have one in the caravan though, or if we don't take that beg/borrow/don't bother! We're usually only away for 5 days so unless it's really hot not too awful (IMO) :p

Oh really! Hadn't thought of other long duration shows!

mandwhy

Visit site
It sounds the same as a hot horse shower, I'd probably like one of those if I was staying away and would use it a lot for myself and horse, although to be honest I don't really feel the need unless it is really hot and grimy!

Hen

Visit site
All of our show facilities have showers so I use them at quiet time (usually very early doors around 4.30am when there is no-one around, but I like to be on board for early morning exercise so it works for me). I do have a horse shower in my 3.5T and I would use that if desperate on a nice warm day, but really it is reserved for hosing off boots and cinches :)

NZJenny

Visit site
Endurance riding in NZ can be a bit primitive ! So no shower for 2 or 3 days is quite common, but we all smell the same anyway.